The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Default Opinions on Journey Road Trip?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with or opinion on the Journey Road Trip.
I currently play a CA OX. Apart from the obvious differences (scale length, body size, soundhole placement), does anyone have thoughts regarding comparison between the two in the tone and playability departments?
Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

What road trip?

Edit: Whoops, it suddenly occurred to me that you're referring to the guitar model, which must have remotely stuck in my mind.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:39 PM

Oops... nothing to see here.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 09-07-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 PM

DA, the Journey Roadtrip was announced late January at Winter NAMM, and most dealers didn't get any till mid to late Spring 2017, so there wont be much info on them here. My personal RT660 was one of the NAMM Show display models and I have been hugely impressed with what this young company has been able to accomplish with Carbon Fiber guitars in just a few years.

As to comparing one to the OX, the setup is equally good on both guitars, but the short scale of the RT660 does translate to less string tension. Also, the neck on the RT660 is more D shape, while the OX is a C shape, which may or may not mean something to you. Tonally the OX has a more fundamental tone, with a stronger mid range, while the RT660 Roadtrip has a somewhat brighter tone with more overtones. The RT660 is also smaller, about the same size as the Taylor GS Mini, and lighter than the OX, so definitely more travel friendly.

Journey specializes in travel guitars, and the RT660 was definitely designed to be a travel companion, but it's large enough that it could be your only guitar. Like other Journey instruments, the RT660 comes with a K&K Mini style pickup designed by Journey, so it could be your gigging guitar as well, while on the road or at home.

BTW, we've sold quite a few RT660 models this year, and to date none have come back, so folks must be happy with them. I'll have to ask some of the customers if they are members here, and if they would mind sharing their experience.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM

Thanks Ted! As always, a wealth of useful knowledge.
Much appreciated!

Doug
Old 09-08-2017, 05:48 PM

We're about to do a big marketing push on this model. Should have a video from Thomas Leeb and a few others coming out soon. If you don't need a collapsible model, this guitar really is a great value, and like the Overhead - crazy comfortable.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 PM

Thanks Rob - Keep us informed - I am interested to seeing some video!

Doug
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone know where journey guitars are manufactured? Just curious.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Somewhere in China.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougalanwilcox View Post
Thanks Ted! As always, a wealth of useful knowledge.
Much appreciated!

Doug
My pleasure, Doug, and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Somewhere in China.
Yes, Rob, the owner is an American who lives in China, so that's where the guitars are made. They have a distribution facility in Texas, which is where all warranty concerns are handled, and a couple hundred US dealers where you can try their guitars. Besides carbon fiber guitars, they build wood versions of the RoadTrip model, a fixed neck student/travel model, a line of ukuleles, as well as their take down travel guitars that fit in to the supplied custom airline carry on bag. All the guitars come with their proprietary K&K style under-bridge transducer pickup system.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Guest 928

I would add that Rob's move into CF was arduous and shared with forum members. Quality control has been his primary mantra.

Ted: Is the pickup active or passive?
Old 09-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I would add that Rob's move into CF was arduous and shared with forum members. Quality control has been his primary mantra.

Ted: Is the pickup active or passive?
Agreed, Evan, and the electronics are passive.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
We're about to do a big marketing push on this model. Should have a video from Thomas Leeb and a few others coming out soon. If you don't need a collapsible model, this guitar really is a great value, and like the Overhead - crazy comfortable.
Rob... this looks like a great smaller option for one who doesn't need the folding neck (me).

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the new video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber