The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Larry, your comments, which I hold in high regard, are tempting me to contact him for a chat and explore a build.
I've been checking his site. His description of the (more modern?) Elliott (spruce) design and tonal qualities are very noteworthy, especially his emphasis on trebles It makes me curious as to where the Matt Greif cedar version fits into in this regard.
If you don't have any objections, I'd mention this forum exchange as the spark for my inquiry.
Thanks again.

Anders is a close friend, and there is no problem mentioning me, this exchange, etc.

I started out by mentioning that Anders has been busy building, and *not* updating his website. It's old. Years old.

If I understand things correctly, my guitar and the guitars for Meisinger and Greif (and all of his work the past 5+ years, in fact!) are waaaay beyond the work Anders was doing when the website was created. Way beyond...not just evolutionary, but whole steps up the ladder from then, structural-tonal-quality-wise...

...but I've reached the end of my ability to even vaguely intimate what Anders is doing to get the results of these past years. I shall now shut-up and encourage you to decide if a conversation with him is worthwhile. Anders can inform you with complete accuracy, of course.

Ya' know, I think I need to go pick up that darned guitar and show it some love...

Here is a little something from when the Sterner was only 3-4 months old. The guitar is waaay more broken in now, and I need to get-going on some new recordings:

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 09-05-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Humanist

So Anders sent me 37 sec. clip of a cedar-top guitar he was voicing recently. Yes, that's Anders playing, and it's just one-variation of what he is doing with cedar top these days...

http://www.larrypattis.com/mp3s/Ster...- Balladio.mp3

Old 09-05-2017, 09:48 PM

Roll over Segovia, tell John Williams the news!

Awesome. You have a seriously good touch with a slide to play so clean on nylon strings.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Anders is a close friend, and there is no problem mentioning me, this exchange, etc.

I started out by mentioning that Anders has been busy building, and *not* updating his website. It's old. Years old.

If I understand things correctly, my guitar and the guitars for Meisinger and Greif (and all of his work the past 5+ years, in fact!) are waaaay beyond the work Anders was doing when the website was created. Way beyond...not just evolutionary, but whole steps up the ladder from then, structural-tonal-quality-wise...

...but I've reached the end of my ability to even vaguely intimate what Anders is doing to get the results of these past years. I shall now shut-up and encourage you to decide if a conversation with him is worthwhile. Anders can inform you with complete accuracy, of course.

Ya' know, I think I need to go pick up that darned guitar and show it some love...

Here is a little something from when the Sterner was only 3-4 months old. The guitar is waaay more broken in now, and I need to get-going on some new recordings:

Thanks Larry. I'm processing all this and putting some thoughts together to find out more. Wouldn't want to waste his time either with generalities. I have a pretty good idea of a tonal goal, but keep an open mind as to how it is best achieved.
Your video clip sounded great, and very sonorous for such a new guitar. It’s like you composed this piece just to “break it in” and tap its potential.
Yes, if you do some more recordings, please post them!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-06-2017, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
So Anders sent me 37 sec. clip of a cedar-top guitar he was voicing recently. Yes, that's Anders playing, and it's just one-variation of what he is doing with cedar top these days...

http://www.larrypattis.com/mp3s/Ster...- Balladio.mp3
That sounded gorgeous! There might be cedar hope for me after all. Although his website scripts may be old, that tone is spot on as he describes it. Clarity, balance, with emphasis on lyrical, singing trebles. Roundness and fullness of tone, as opposed to just loudness.
True, a lot of that is in the hands of the player. He's obviously well accomplished. But that's the kind of car I want to drive too!
I'll try to put some coherent thoughts together and contact him.
Oh boy.....

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM

There are rules??

Everyone... don't answer that. It's just a rhetorical question.

Larry, your recording sounded great!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sacrilegious!!!
You took the (tongue-in-cheek) words right out of my mouth!

Really, I love playing my Kenny Hill New World Player and I do not play classical music. I'm a huge fan of the recently-deceased Michael Johnson and love what he did with his Kohno. And he'd love what Larry did here!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
You took the (tongue-in-cheek) words right out of my mouth!

Really, I love playing my Kenny Hill New World Player and I do not play classical music. I'm a huge fan of the recently-deceased Michael Johnson and love what he did with his Kohno. And he'd love what Larry did here!
Thanks...another stupendous talent (besides Michael Johnson) who uses the straight-ahead classical instrument for original stuff is ex-pat David Qualey.

His "Soliloquy" album (a Windham Hill release) changed my life...and he has any number of albums available now, from his home in Germany.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical