The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-04-2017, 06:28 PM

Default DREAM guitars and "new?" Emerald guitars

I am confused. I went to DREAmGuitars website, clicked on menue, instruments, composite and find a large number of Emerald Guitars listed. They all say sold. If you click on specs they all say NEW. Not pre owned, new. What am I missing? As far as I know Emerald only sells direct to consumer.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Dream Guitars was a dealer before Emerald discontinued dealers and selling direct. All those "new" and "sold" guitars are archived on their site from when they were a dealer several years ago.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:12 PM

Really inspires confidence in anything I might see on Dream guitars website ...

Perhaps that's what the name means ? They're all just dream guitars, as opposed to actual guitars.

Ps. I can get you any Emerald guitar you like , obviously I will have to charge a small premium for administration, but I speak pretty good Irish and can save you a lot of translation problems in dealing with Sean and Alistair.
Just PM me if you need this service
Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Dream Guitars was a dealer before Emerald discontinued dealers and selling direct. All those "new" and "sold" guitars are archived on their site from when they were a dealer several years ago.
Well, that explains it. Most did not show date. Some had 2015 as the year, so I guess they were dealers not too long ago.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:08 AM

On their composite page, there are 41 guitars. A mixture of Emerald, Rainsong and CAs.

All are shown as sold except one model, the Al Petteway Special Edition Rainsong. Al Petteway is a featured artist who does demonstrations of almost all the guitars they sell with nice videos like these:

I suspect, looking at the empty composite page, they are no longer dealers for Emerald, Rainsong, or CA.

Maybe the exception would be the Al Petteway model since he is their feature artist.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Guest 928

Long Jon;

Will your service include early announcement of the monthly specials?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Long Jon;

Will your service include early announcement of the monthly specials?
Evan, send me sufficient cash and you'll be the first to receive not one but THREE of the upcoming October specials !

Or at least I'll send you a postcard from Jamaica or somewhere ....
Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Well, that explains it. Most did not show date. Some had 2015 as the year, so I guess they were dealers not too long ago.
To clarify, Emerald always sold direct, even when they had a few dealers in the US. And while I can't comment on Dream Guitars, with LA Guitar Sales it was my decision to drop the brand, not Emeralds, as has been suggested by some.

As to sold guitars on the Dream Guitars website, it makes for great research material, so it's nice that they leave the pages up. We also have a sold section that we started it back in 2004, but we don't keep everything we ever sold posted as it would get a bit overwhelming.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
To clarify, Emerald always sold direct, even when they had a few dealers in the US. And while I can't comment on Dream Guitars, with LA Guitar Sales it was my decision to drop the brand, not Emeralds, as has been suggested by some.

As to sold guitars on the Dream Guitars website, it makes for great research material, so it's nice that they leave the pages up. We also have a sold section that we started it back in 2004, but we don't keep everything we ever sold posted as it would get a bit overwhelming.
Thanks Ted. I am curious , can you give a reason for dropping Emerald? Not enough margin? Hard to stock a product that is also sold direct I expect.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ted. I am curious , can you give a reason for dropping Emerald? Not enough margin? Hard to stock a product that is also sold direct I expect.
There were a number a of reasons, most of which I can't go in to here, but I will say that IMO, selling direct is the best option for Alistair right now, and I wish him the best.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:22 PM

I think part of the interest of the OPs first post was that DreamGuitars composite page is not just a filtered "sold section". It is their for sale section, but their practice is not to remove the guitars once the guitar is sold. They just mark it "sold" instead.

In the past, the page was filled with the same guitars ready for sale. Unsold guitars, like the remaining Rainsong, are still actively for sale and a part of the same page. The page was always mixed with sold and unsold guitars--not a separate section. Maybe it will be come something of a dedicated sold section once the final Rainsong gets sold.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
There were a number a of reasons, most of which I can't go in to here, but I will say that IMO, selling direct is the best option for Alistair right now, and I wish him the best.
Understood Ted, didn't mean to put you on the spot. Alistair has good thing going and hope it continues.
I wonder if people would be willing to pay 4 or 5 hundred more from a stocking dealer and have the opportunity to play in person at a quality shop.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Understood Ted, didn't mean to put you on the spot. Alistair has good thing going and hope it continues.
I wonder if people would be willing to pay 4 or 5 hundred more from a stocking dealer and have the opportunity to play in person at a quality shop.
I don't know about all composite builders, but some if not all have excellent return policies. I've had great luck buying without trying, so I'd rather save the amount of money you're suggesting.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
No worries, and FYI, folks would not need to pay 4-500 more if the guitars were available at dealers, that is not how it works. For instance, we sold the Emerald x7 for $700 when we were selling them five or six years ago, today they are $1000 factory direct. In the same 5 years Rainsong prices have not only remained stable, but they added a new, more affordable line to the lineup, increasing their market share further.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 PM

My 2012 x7 OS was $999...from a dealer that's no longer open...

Return policy not needed or used in this instance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber