The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Can The Emerald Soundport be Overwhelming?

I have a touch on tinnitus in my left ear (from years of standing stage right as a bass player in a classic rock cover band) that tends to be exacerbated by long periods of loud volume.

With this in mind, I'm wondering if I might find the upper-bass bout soundport of an Emerald somewhat overwhelming during a long playing session or a gig.

Thoughts from Emerald owners? Is the volume difference from the player's perspective noteworthy when compared to traditional soundhole guitars?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ed, I have to admit that when I first played my X-20....I was surprised by the sound port putting that sound right in my face. By no means was it over whelming, just a bit different. I have bad tinnitus too and it did not make anything worse. I really like the sound port orientation. The main thing I notice is when I go to a regular wood guitar, I think "Wow, what happened to the volume." LOL It's really not an issue for me either way, it's a easy adjustment. and I really enjoy hearing my playing that clearly. Except when I play badly. I've seen others on the site that couldn't adjust easily, but no problems here. Good Luck on your search. The X20 is a fantastic guitar that I enjoy a lot.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Hey Ed I was hoping I could piggyback a question on to your thread. It is on the exact same topic. I have the same concerns as you for the same reasons.

Is it a balanced sound coming at you through the sound hole, or is it a lot of highs & mids???
Old 09-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

The soundhole on the X7 does not open to the top as much as that on the X20. My first Emerald is the X7, then added an X20. My first reaction on the first strum of the X20 was: "Wow! That sounds great, but it is loud!"

Like John, it didn't take me long to adjust to appreciating that great sound. In fact, by the third session with it, I found I could play it as quiet as I want... although, for full disclosure, I rarely want to play it quiet.

This guitar quickly became one of my favorites, for both tone and control. I don't have any hearing issues, but (again, like John) find that my guitars with the traditional center soundhole now sound less impressive.

I can see where if someone were to pick this guitar up for just a few seconds, it could seem over-powering. Spend a bit more time with it, and you will be rewarded with the range. My X20 has a strong bass, but is nicely balanced. A few years ago, I thought the guitars with an offset soundhole looked a bit odd... now, I get it - the player gets to experience more of that great sound that those in front enjoy, and the center soundhole guitars look a bit old-fashioned to me.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Only about a month playing my new X20 but it's been an intense month of playing. You can hear all the little nuances just that more clearly with the sound hole directing more at you. The effect is decreased to some degree by leaning back just a bit which is probably better for your posture. Of course that's not as much fun and surely not as rewarding.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 09-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Guest 928

My understanding is that tinnitus is often overcome by direct sound. This is good news, if true.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Odd, When I played my brother in law's X-20 I thought it was very quit. While of offset soundhole accentuates the bass, I don't think it really redirects much sound to the player, not like an actual soundport does.

On my X7, I will hear more than a similarly sized guitar if I rotate it towards me, but in a normal playing position it can be hard to hear, depending on the room acoustics.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
While of offset soundhole accentuates the bass, I don't think it really redirects much sound to the player, not like an actual soundport does.
Sorry AZ, with all due respect, I gotta disagree with ya, I think it directs a good bit of sound to the player. Perhaps the pure soundport does more ??? As already mentioned, it can be "adjusted" by your posture and head position, so maybe that's our difference. I have my fat head directly over the soundhole.

Last edited by jdinco; 09-04-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Ed, I can't imagine that, but I can just say it doesn't bother me at all and I've had tinnitus for almost 40 years. The sound port on my Cargo was a little boomier than the Emerald, but even that wasn't too bad. Talk to Sean... there is a return period if you really don't like it.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Hey Ed I was hoping I could piggyback a question on to your thread. It is on the exact same topic. I have the same concerns as you for the same reasons.

Is it a balanced sound coming at you through the sound hole, or is it a lot of highs & mids???
To me the sound hole on my X20 tend to lend more bass to my ears, YMMV. It doesn't make it sound bassy, it made it sound really full and deep.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
. I have my fat head directly over the soundhole.
That might do it. If I am playing down, the soundhole on my X7 is a good 9 or 10 inches forward of my head. My Larrivee Parlor (0 size) is much louder from the player's perspective.

Standing, maybe about the same...

When I hold a guitar I can't see fretboard markings. (side markers yes) If you held it such that you can see fretmarkers then I could see where the offset soundhold might direct more sound to the player.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-04-2017, 06:57 AM

Ed, my experience was shock at how much sound came out at me at first, especially if I held my head over it when sitting. I have found the X20 to be a quiet guitar when doing fingerstyle(flesh only) but to really come alive with a pick, fwiw.
I did quickly adjust to the sound port location, and it does have a lush full sound to me, but it gets the least play of my CF guitars due to my perceived need to pick harder to get the sound with my style of play.
There is a good return policy, nothing to lose.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:57 AM

I had an X20 in my possession for a week a few years ago (MacNichol roadtrip) - my memory of it has faded but I definitely remember being struck by the sound coming from the sound port, in a good way - but not at all overwhelming.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Last edited by Long Jon; 09-04-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Oops ! Meant to start a new thread ... dun it rong
Old 09-04-2017, 02:34 PM

I have always had that ear problem..born with it I guess as never was in loud band... X-20 sounds great to me.. like the sound right there closer to my ears.. though I don't do any pick strumming.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber