The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Guest 928

Congratulations Ed. I think the Ox is a marvelous guitar and that you made a solid decision.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Have both OX and x20

I have both the OX and the X20 and they are very different animals. SInce the OX is more traditional construction with bracing, it sounds more like a wood guitar. I like to use it for strumming, as it is has little overtones and the chords ring clear. It was my first carbon fiber guitar. I then purchased a red Emerald x20 and I have to say the soundhole was magic when I played my first fingerstyle pattern and chords. My wife ( who normally does not have an opinion) said - you might as well sell the rest of your guitars - they sound like toys. I have 4 Martins including a Signature Shawn Colvin, a Taylor 714 cedar, a D35 plus others. The clarity and the nuances of the x20 were unbelievable. It could be muted for Jazz or ring like a piano. I could never sell this guitar. But i am not sure I could sell the OX either, it has the woody sound and the neck plays like an electric. I have since purchased a green X7. It has a full sound for its size.

If I was forced to sell every guitar I own except for one. The x20 would the the only one hanging on the wall.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 PM

Default Sorry - i missed the decision post

Sorry I missed your post on thr OX decision. Its a great choice and you cannot go wrong with that model. I do love mine.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrep View Post
...snip... But i am not sure I could sell the OX either, it has the woody sound and the neck plays like an electric. ...snip...
Funny you should say this! I have been playing my new arrival OX all afternoon, and I am loving the neck! I'm pretty sure the neck profile on the OX is the exact same as the neck profile on a Fender Classic Player '60s Stratocaster, one of my favorite playing electric guitars.

Oh, +1 on the woody sound of the OX - Loving this guitar!

I'll probably change out the old (and original?) Elixr Nanoweb strings over the weekend. I plan on going with the trusty GHS Phosphor Bronze on the first change to get a good baseline. What strings do other OX users run on theirs?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
...snip...I decided to go with the CA OX, and was lucky enough to find a nice, used CA OX RAW ELE in mint condition, and I took delivery today...snip...
Wife: "Wow, that guitar sounds WAY better than any of your other guitars."

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-07-2017, 05:46 PM

Welcome to Club OX...you done good. Next year when you get an X-20 and a Savoy... you will be the envy of many... i guess anyway. This guitar and apparently your wife are big time keepers. Tell her I like her as she is very observant.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

When I got my X20...wife: Don't sell your other guitars right away. Wait a bit to be sure. It's way better than all of them except that one. (SCGC D-12)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The sign of a keeper! The guitar, too.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The sign of a keeper! The guitar, too.
Plus one!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Ed,

For starters, the OX is a true Orchestra Model about the size of a Martin OM, while the x20 is much larger, about the size of the Taylor Grand Auditorium models. Tonally the OX has more mids, like a Martin, while the x20 doesn't try to hide it's carbon tone. The x20 being bigger will have more bass, but both will project equally well. The neck on the x20 is more of a D shape, while the OX has a true C shape.

If you decide on the OX, I would definitely snag Studio mans guitar. At $1100 shipped you can't go wrong.
My impression from having played both guitars mirrors Ted's comments.

I actually preferred the Orchestra Model body size and slimmer (faster) neck of the OX. The neck on the OX is almost as easy to play as a somewhat slim electric guitar neck, where I found the neck on the X20 to be a little beefier than I tend to like. And, CA uses bracing on the top which bring the tone closer to that of a wood-body guitar.

This is not a slam on Emerald, as I would love to have one and probably will someday - but it will be either an X7 or an X10. The X20 body size is just a bit larger than I enjoy having and playing - and I don't need the extra volume output offered by the X20 body, vs the X7 or X10.

----

Ooops... guess I should have read the entire thread before replying. I see that you went with the OX and that you love it - not surprising to me! . Congrats and welcome to the CF club!

Last edited by DHart; 09-16-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
...snip...I see that you went with the OX and that you love it - not surprising to me! . Congrats and welcome to the CF club!
Thanks!

I pretty much haven't put the CA OX down since getting it. The guitar is a wonderful fit for me in every way. I love its clear, fundamental-rich, midrange dominant voice (it accompanies my singing voice wonderfully), and I think it is the best playing guitar (acoustic or electric) I've played, with all aspects of playability hitting the mark spot on for me.

String update: I wasn't crazy about the phosphor bronze strings on the OX, so I swapped them out for a set of La Bella Golden Alloy (80/20) lights. Wow! - These made the OX really come alive by adding a wonderful chime, especially when chording.

I keep A/B'ing the OX with my other guitars, thinking I'm just caught up in an "infatuation with the new", but I keep going back to the OX.

This is exciting...A new era for me?

P.S.: Oh, also, I almost can't believe how good the Baggs Element StagePro sounds on the OX through my Carvin AG200 amp.

CA-OX-RAW-montage.jpg

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 09-17-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:46 AM

Glad you are liking the OX. I like the size and the neck is thinner... maybe faster (that may be and electric guitar guy term) feeling.
My first Youtube video I ever made was with my early pre PV OX.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber