The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Default What are some 'special' strings?

I have no difficulty in finding strings that work well with my guitars - many acceptable choices, and if a tweak is needed, I select an appropriate saddle material. At this point I'm looking for strings that push the limit of what I find a proper match for a guitar, strings which are overly lush, for instance, or piercingly clean. Expensive or inexpensive, what has caught your ear, pushing the limits of acceptable?

Currently my guitars are sporting Galli Titanio, La Bella 2001, D'Addario EXP 45, Savarez 500 CRJ
Old 08-24-2017, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

You might want to try Aquila Alabastro strings. Made of something called Nylgut, they approximate a cross between nylon and gut strings. I've tried a huge variety of strings, and these things just bring a wonderful new dimension to my guitars. They are bright without being strident, and they seem to be the loudest strings I've ever tried. Extremely articulate. You may love them, you may hate them, but I think you'll find them to offer you an entirely new experience. Available at Strings by Mail. If you do try them, please report back.
-Bob
Old 08-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Thanks. I'm ordering some strings tomorow, and these will be on the list. I have a Matano 1000 that had La Bella 2001 Mediums, now with Galli Titanio GR40 Hards, that's merely pleasant, and might react well.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 08-24-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:39 AM

I would try various Aquila strings. Have a go of the Zafiro too.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
You might want to try Aquila Alabastro strings. Made of something called Nylgut, they approximate a cross between nylon and gut strings. I've tried a huge variety of strings, and these things just bring a wonderful new dimension to my guitars. They are bright without being strident, and they seem to be the loudest strings I've ever tried. Extremely articulate. You may love them, you may hate them, but I think you'll find them to offer you an entirely new experience. Available at Strings by Mail. If you do try them, please report back.
-Bob
That's very intriguing. Had not heard of those.
How would you compare the trebles, tone and feel wise, to the traditional clear trebles used in classical guitars?

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I would try various Aquila strings. Have a go of the Zafiro too.
Added to my order. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:49 AM

You know, forget the Matano and Aquilas, there would be nothing about pushing limits with that pairing, as in all likelihood it would be a good match. I'm going to try the Aquilas on a very loud and sensitive Matsuoka. I think I will don a flak jacket first.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 08-25-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
That's very intriguing. Had not heard of those.
How would you compare the trebles, tone and feel wise, to the traditional clear trebles used in classical guitars?
The trebles are as described in my first post: more articulate, brighter, more powerful, especially compared to nylons but even to carbons, too. I'm not a good one to ask about feel. For some reason, I'm pretty much insensitive the the feel of various strings. I can tell some carbons are thinner than most nylons. I'd say the Alabastros are somewhere in between, but closer to nylon.
-Bob
Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 PM

A string that can be very nice on the right guitar are the Hannabach 815 SLT
'super-low tension' nylon trebles. Despite the name, they are about the same
tension as J45s. They won't knock you out right away, but might be worth a
look.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:10 PM

Ok, Carey, I'll give those a go.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:47 PM

I'd be interested in what you think of the Hannabachs. I think they're actually slightly *higher* tension than J45s, despite their description. Not a big difference, but it is there. When I use them, I usually substitute the third string with a Hannabach (or occasionally Knobloch) carbon.

Last edited by Carey; 08-25-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:17 AM

Two type of strings are very uncommon nowadays and you might to try them out:

John Pearse folk strings. From theit website: “The bass strings E, A, d are round wound on a nylon core for a big warm sound without *distracting picking noises. The treble strings are flatwound nylon on a rope core and sound brighter than nylon strings.“

Secondly, going back to traditions: plein gut strings for trebles and silk wounded in silver for basses. You can try Dlugolecki for trebles and Aquila silk bass set. The best combination around, IMHO.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Every once and awhile I search for 'better' strings and always immediately regret it. My Savarez 520r are my go to. They are the best strings for all my guitars.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
-Bob
Hey Bob. The Alabastros are now on their third guiitar. At the time of your post, I had a set on a guitar, but due to the high humidity had stashed it away before I had spent any serious time understanding their character. As they were already stretched out, moving them to subsequent guitars shortened their stability time. First real test was on a Matsuoka, a lively yet smooth guitar, a real treat. The Aquilas didn't make much of an impression - the guitar's character overriding what the strings had to offer. So on to a Matano of darker, Spanish character; rich, but not outstanding in its trebles. This is where the strings contributed well, adding definition where it was wanting, without losing the bass presence. The Alabastros didn't push the guitar to another level, but it's now showing at its best. I like these strings. They're straightforward, defined, slightly dry, easy for me to comprehend, so I'll always keep an extra set onhand.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Hey Bob. The Alabastros are now on their third guiitar. At the time of your post, I had a set on a guitar, but due to the high humidity had stashed it away before I had spent any serious time understanding their character. As they were already stretched out, moving them to subsequent guitars shortened their stability time. First real test was on a Matsuoka, a lively yet smooth guitar, a real treat. The Aquilas didn't make much of an impression - the guitar's character overriding what the strings had to offer. So on to a Matano of darker, Spanish character; rich, but not outstanding in its trebles. This is where the strings contributed well, adding definition where it was wanting, without losing the bass presence. The Alabastros didn't push the guitar to another level, but it's now showing at its best. I like these strings. They're straightforward, defined, slightly dry, easy for me to comprehend, so I'll always keep an extra set onhand.
Glad they seem to be working out for you, Bax. Recommending strings is a tricky business because you never know how they'll sound on other people's guitars or to other people's ears. They are my favorites on 2 of my 3 guitars, but that 3rd one does better with Savarez. I've noticed that the Alabastros don't come into their own until the 2nd or 3rd day.
-Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical