The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Great post seems like they are getting more and more positive. I think I will buy both the neck up and the stand and see which I like the most.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:52 PM

I'm a big fan of guitar supports. I've never tried the NeckUp, but I do have several flavors of the ErgoPlay as well as the Sagework/Barnett supports on both nylon and steel string guitars. They're all great, but the Sagework is definitely the cat's meow. I do have a footstool as well, but it rarely gets used.

I used to have all kinds of back problems due to playing hunched over. Guitar supports definitely allow me to play longer with less fatigue. Just do it.

Strings by mail has a pretty decent selection.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar...-supports-386/

Bradford Werner has this review up on YouTube which is a decent overview of several different models.

Last edited by MojoRisin; 08-21-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 PM

And from another old man. I have a 6" X 6" block of wood that I have been using for years with my guitar on my left leg and keeping the neck higher. I sit on one of my piano benches, both padded. I have old age back problems, am stiff, sore fingers, etc but with my guitar in DADGAD I can get on it. I play mostly for myself, however, when I have company and I play sometimes, I sit like I want. If anyone does not like it, there is the door. Keep playing man, you are still a young one.

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 09-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

An alternative to the classical foot rest, which I've seen used many times, is the guitar case. Just plant which ever foot you need elevated on your guitar case and there you go.

Of course if you are properly impoverished to play blues it would have to be one of those cheep, cardboard cases, which would show the strain before long and collapse. But then you could buy a replacement case that didn't quite fit your guitar right and get all you mojo back. (smiley face goes here)

Dave
Old 09-02-2017, 01:57 PM

my favorite guitar support is the De Oro support... Never inadvertently released in more than 2 years of use.

https://www.deoromusic.com/deoromusi...r_Support.html
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Late to the conversation but yes the footstool is OK. I use mine under left foot when playing true classical guitar (classical position) or I use under the right foot when playing fingerstyle steel string in standard position on right thigh.

My son's guitar teacher uses one of the "neck up" supports for his classical. I have tried that and find that I don't like it.

I can't find the reference now, but I believe the late John Renbourn said something about steel string guitars not working as well when played in classical position. It may be hocus-pocus, but I do seem to prefer fingerstyle steel string played in the more standard position and I use my footrest.

Jon
Old 09-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Musical minimalist

I've been using the stool for about 20 years - to sit (left foot) and to stand and play. When I stand (which isn't very frequent any longer - just can't be as accurate) I put it on my right leg to get a little more "tilt" on the body of the guitar to keep it away from MY body so it sounds it's best.

Use any tool you have to your advantage and don't worry about what others think

Old 09-03-2017, 04:06 PM

absolutely for classical players only. look at the tag underneath the foot stool. it says,"For classical guitar players only. Not for acoustic, nor electric players."

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I have tried Neck-up and one or two other similar types of support. Personally, I don't like suction cups on my guitar and also these always feel rather rickety to me regardless of the quality of the support itself.

My preference is a foot stool, but until recently I couldn't find one that worked for me. The problem with most of the footstools I have tried is that my leg tends to cramp because the foot stool doesn't go low enough for me. Finally, I found the wood Cordoba footstool and it is perfect for me. I get these locally at Guitar Center. Since The Podium closed, I don't know of a decent classical guitar shop in my area, so it was a pleasant surprise to find GC selling these Cordoba foot stools. I now have a couple of spares just in case I can't get them in the future.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-05-2017, 10:05 PM

Sabicas used one, albeit in an unusual way...
Old 09-06-2017, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

It's a silly question to think you have to ask to play how you are comfortable. You don't need permission.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical