The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-17-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Through this entire thread, with all the videos posted, you (Timothy) do a great service to Larry Beekman's efforts. Your performances really bring these arrangements to life, reviving interest in these wonderful arrangements.

Thanks for posting these videos. If you have more (hint, hint), please do continue posting.

Thanks,

Tony
Thanks, Tony. I think Beekman deserves huge recognition for his Beatles arrangements. I play all of them and, regarding recording, do have more in the works.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Thanks Paul. I remember also when I first heard those songs. I can close my eyes and I'm there. Both are in the book, Beatles for Classical Guitar, arr. by Larry Beekman.
I found the Beekman book on line and saved the listing for future purchase. The book I have (somewhere) is the 1974 "The Beatles for Classical Guitar" by Joe Washington.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I found the Beekman book on line and saved the listing for future purchase. The book I have (somewhere) is the 1974 "The Beatles for Classical Guitar" by Joe Washington.
Washington's book is great. I think it was mentioned also around post 25 in this thread. I like that he was so creative in trying to reach out to guitarists who weren't fluent with staff notation by including diagrams for the left hand fingerings in the arrangements. His version of Because was a unique find for me.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM

There's 2 volumes of the Joe Washington books. The 2nd volume has 11 more song arrangements. I got mine from eBay.

I love Larry Beekman's books!! They're out of print. It's a shame that Mel Bay still owns the rights them. Larry would love to be able to sell the books on his site, but Mel Bay won't let him. �� There used to be a Larry Beekman CD that you could buy with him playing all the songs. But it too is no longer available. ��
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I love Larry Beekman's books!! They're out of print. It's a shame that Mel Bay still owns the rights them.
Dkstott, I haven't heard about that before. My copy of Beatles for Classical Guitar is published by Hal Leonard rather than Mel Bay, and students of mine have bought copies as recently as two weeks ago. ??
Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 PM

I apologise. My bad. I was thinking of his earlier book on pop music. The Larry Beekman Beatles book is still in print. It's only the CD that's no longer available.

Larry offers a free amendment to the book on his site. It contains corrections, etc.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
...I was thinking of his earlier book on pop music. The Larry Beekman Beatles book is still in print.
Good to hear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical