The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Thanks Barry! I learn better the old school way, video is hard for me. Mark does a great job with his books, and the pieces get progressively more challenging.

BTW your recent clip 3 on soundcloud sounds like the beginning of a great tune!
Thanks Bob, it is a song, but not mine. Here's the link to my cover thread

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=475890

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Bob, it is a song, but not mine. Here's the link to my cover thread

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=475890
Oh boy, I actually commented on that thread. But I might be referring to a different clip, they all seem to show as clip 3 when they play on soundcloud. The one I listened to (late) last night had a very bluesy beginning, upper register.

Either way, I like it!
Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_L View Post
One hint for hearing the guitar that sometimes works: play only the left (or right) channel, instead of 'stereo" mode. For instance, bringing up the slow version of Hesitation Blues in VLC media player, going to the Audio menu and selecting "Stereo Mode->Left" puts the voice in the background and lets me hear the guitar part much better. "Stereo Mode->Right" accentuates the voice part, no surprise there. -)

I hope the idea helps! It's still a tricky piece, I find the notation confusing with so many held notes... better to just notate as 8th notes and use the ear to let them ring, in my opinion. -)
Great idea, I'll try it! Thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I skipped Hesitation! It is definitely tougher than Over and Out for me. Had trouble hearing the guitar behind the singing in the recording. Have since sought out other versions, and have just last night successfully mastered the first measure It's on my list.....
Sounds like we are in the same ballpark! I tried his version of HB again but I'm not yet ready for it. Being a little inspired though, I posted here on the forum about that, and was led to a YT video lesson of the tune. After working on that a bit, I felt more confident. But I noticed that in Mark's version, what seems to be missing is the classic lick by Rev Gary Davis. In any event, I'm more interested in getting OAOR under my fingers. What I have been doing is taking it in four bar chunks, seeing how far I can go without making a mistake, then doubling back and going over my mistake areas a bit more. If I am getting it, then I increase my speed a bit.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Great thread... I have really enjoyed Mark's two fingerstyle books over the years. The first of Mark's arrangements I learned was, "Key to the Kingdom." I never think of it by that name though. It was taught to me by Mark's playing partner, Doug Smith, at the Swannanoa Gathering years ago. When Doug played it, he finished with a big grin and announced that he just couldn't play that tune without smiling from ear to ear! So, I call it, "The Smiley Song." That has become my primary warm-up tune.

Being a fan of Libba Cotten, I couldn't believe I had never learned, "Freight Train." So, I pulled out his book and learned that one pretty quickly. I think his books and arrangements are excellent. You've motivated me to take a look at, "Over and Out."

Thanks, Bob.
I love that tune Key to the Kingdom, and pretty much all the other tunes from the same book of Mark's, "Beyond Basics: Fingerstyle Guitar." I believe Mark composed nearly everything in there, and if you want instant gratification from beautiful, open, and easy chord voicings, get that book. I return to it whenever I want to sound like I know how to play guitar!

Mark is a great teacher, by the way. I had the opportunity to study with him for a couple hour small workshop at McCabe's Guitar in Santa Monica CA some years back.

Also, if you are ever working on something of his and are struggling, you can email him and he actually writes back.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Sounds like we are in the same ballpark! I tried his version of HB again but I'm not yet ready for it. Being a little inspired though, I posted here on the forum about that, and was led to a YT video lesson of the tune. After working on that a bit, I felt more confident. But I noticed that in Mark's version, what seems to be missing is the classic lick by Rev Gary Davis. In any event, I'm more interested in getting OAOR under my fingers. What I have been doing is taking it in four bar chunks, seeing how far I can go without making a mistake, then doubling back and going over my mistake areas a bit more. If I am getting it, then I increase my speed a bit.

That is pretty much the way I learned Over and Out, Blueser. The second page was complete gibberish to me for a long time, but by breaking it down into tiny chunks I began to get the feel for it. I'll bet I worked on that tune for at least 2 months before I could play it all the way through (first and second endings) without a breakdown!

So you are on the right path. I assume you are also playing those difficult chunks very, very slowly? By doing that and using a metronome I saw my progress speed up quite a bit.

Stay with it!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mark is a great teacher, by the way. I had the opportunity to study with him for a couple hour small workshop at McCabe's Guitar in Santa Monica CA some years back.
I agree, Blueser. I met him at Swannanoa a few years back... great guy. Since I had enjoyed Doug Smith so much, I was really looking forward to a class with Mark. Then it turned out he didn't offer anything I really wanted, so I was disappointed. I hope I'll have another opportunity there in the future with him.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is pretty much the way I learned Over and Out, Blueser. The second page was complete gibberish to me for a long time, but by breaking it down into tiny chunks I began to get the feel for it. I'll bet I worked on that tune for at least 2 months before I could play it all the way through (first and second endings) without a breakdown!

So you are on the right path. I assume you are also playing those difficult chunks very, very slowly? By doing that and using a metronome I saw my progress speed up quite a bit.

Stay with it!
Reeve, yes I do try to play them more slowly but sometimes I speed up anyway, out of habit. Then I'll start from the beginning and try to see how far I can go without messing up, then back to one or two trouble bars.

The bars that I have had to work the hardest on are 10 and 14, with the funny F stuff. I probably play those couple of sections more than anything.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Reeve, yes I do try to play them more slowly but sometimes I speed up anyway, out of habit. Then I'll start from the beginning and try to see how far I can go without messing up, then back to one or two trouble bars.

The bars that I have had to work the hardest on are 10 and 14, with the funny F stuff. I probably play those couple of sections more than anything.
Hi Blueser--yes, it is hard to play slowly!

When I first started on Over and Out I could not get the thumb over the E string F chord to sound out consistently. So I cheated, and played the F note on the D string, 3rd fret with my ring finger. If I remember correctly this only occurs in 2 places, maybe around bars 6 and 14? That was the only way I could get through the tune without a breakdown

Anyway, I still play it that way even though I have since gotten a lot better with my thumb fretting technique. it's a pretty fast tune with plenty of notes--I don't think it detracts too much to play a couple of them an octave higher

In fact, in his Art of Solo Fingerpicking book Mark suggests a couple of work arounds for folks who can't make the F with their thumb, so my conscience is clear!

What helped me with my thumb fretting was learning some introductory country blues tunes in C from Woody Mann and Toby Walker lessons.

Best of luck with the piece. Let me know when you get it up to Mark's tempo!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Reeve,
I erred about the measures I was referring to - I meant bar 6 and 14, as you were referring to as well. Luckily I have a lot of practice already with thumb wrapping, what with playing lots of country blues (a lot of M. John Hurt) but because my grip is not so large, I have to kind of cheat on the thumb wrap, just slightly gripping the 1st fret F on the sixth string. My problem is if giving consistent pressure to all the fingers and getting a clean sound.

I have no problem with the traditional F chord in measure six (no thumb wrap). And even in measures 6 and 14, I am playing that F note on the D string as you are. One of my tricks to better fretting is using the capo on the first or second fret. Because the distance between the frets is shorter, I have an easier time to reach to the other frets; however the nut width/grip widens slightly, which makes it more challenging to wrap the thumb.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I started my fingerpicking journey in January with Mark's intro to Travis picking book/cd. The two pieces I liked best are his simple arrangement of Freight Train and his original Over and Out Rag. While I have now gravitated to other instructors, I still play these 2 tunes as my warm-up every time I play (just not as fast as Mark!)

Recording is my Ibanez and an old iPhone. Sorry about the bottom end, I'm a foot stomper.

Mark really instilled a love of the style in me, and I'm grateful to him and to those on AGF who recommended him.

Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...017-9-27-00-pm
Great job Bob, I like the way you put the two songs together as a progression. I play a triple medley of Freight Train with Mark's simple version on the front end, the Art of Solo Fingerstyle version on the back end, and a cool arrangement by Tony Polecastro in the middle. You will enjoy learning the AOSF version, it's fun to play.

I'm about half way through Art of Solo Fingerstyle. I skipped Devil's Dream at Mark's suggestion and I skipped Over the Waves and Bill Bailey because I'm just not a fan of those songs. Mark gave me an arrangement of JT's Sweet Baby James and his arrangement of Windy & Warm as substitutes and I just about have both down. I'm starting to get Etude going well and I just started exploring 3 & 4 finger rolls. My next song will be Dedicated to Mississippi John Hurt. I do Skype lessons with Mark, he's a fantastic and very patient teacher/mentor.

I also got started with the Beyond Basics book before I got the Travis book and started doing Skype lessons. I still like to play Canyon Canon, Windows, Wheels, and KtoK as well as O&O Rag. Mark told me to skip Hesitation Blues in the Travis book, he said the arrangement is really harder than he intended for the student level he is aiming at in that book.

There are a lot of sources for learning fingerstyle guitar playing but I still believe that Mark's Travis Picking and Art of Solo Fingerstyle are still at the top of the list for a well thought out progression to help you become a solid fingerstyle guitarist.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 07-24-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Hi Blueser,

Thanks for the capo tip!

I'm working on one of Woody Mann's songs "in the spirit" of Miss. John Hurt called Creole Baby. Lots of thumb wrapping on that one, and I highly recommend Woody's stuff if you like country blues (you probably know that already!).

Best,
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Hi Sprintbob,

Thanks so much for listening and the feedback.

I remember that you study with Mark, so it's very good to hear your observations. I'm glad to know it is ok to skip Hesitation Blues, and to skip around a bit in the Art of Solo book.

When I finished up the Travis book I was at loose ends. The Art of Solo book seemed a little too advance at the time, and I had not yet discovered Beyond Basics. Mark plays the tunes very fast

So I looked around a bit and found Toby Walker's into to fingerpicking video series. I highly recommend it to anyone following along on this thread, especially if you are a visual learner. I'm not very visual and usually prefer tab and a recording, but Toby' videos helped me a lot.

I also picked up a couple of Woody Mann books which are great. Currently working on his version of Saturday Night Rub and a tune based on Mississippi John Hurt's style. Highly recommended.

I realize I need a little more structure and feel like I now am up to really digging in to the Art of Solo book. I'm starting at the beginning with Red White and Blue Rag which is coming a lot easier than when I first attempted it a few months back. I've also discovered Key to the Kingdom thanks to Kerbie's input in this thread. Mark sells a very advanced "performance" tab on his website which is way beyond me, but I was happy to discover the beginner version in the Beyond the Basics book.

BTW, I have followed your progress in some other threads and it is quite remarkable given the relatively short time you have been at it!

Thanks again for your comments,
Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Sprintbob,

Thanks so much for listening and the feedback.

I remember that you study with Mark, so it's very good to hear your observations. I'm glad to know it is ok to skip Hesitation Blues, and to skip around a bit in the Art of Solo book.

When I finished up the Travis book I was at loose ends. The Art of Solo book seemed a little too advance at the time, and I had not yet discovered Beyond Basics. Mark plays the tunes very fast

So I looked around a bit and found Toby Walker's into to fingerpicking video series. I highly recommend it to anyone following along on this thread, especially if you are a visual learner. I'm not very visual and usually prefer tab and a recording, but Toby' videos helped me a lot.

I also picked up a couple of Woody Mann books which are great. Currently working on his version of Saturday Night Rub and a tune based on Mississippi John Hurt's style. Highly recommended.

I realize I need a little more structure and feel like I now am up to really digging in to the Art of Solo book. I'm starting at the beginning with Red White and Blue Rag which is coming a lot easier than when I first attempted it a few months back. I've also discovered Key to the Kingdom thanks to Kerbie's input in this thread. Mark sells a very advanced "performance" tab on his website which is way beyond me, but I was happy to discover the beginner version in the Beyond the Basics book.

BTW, I have followed your progress in some other threads and it is quite remarkable given the relatively short time you have been at it!

Thanks again for your comments,
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the compliment amongst us aspiring finger style wannabes. I think AOSF is going to be fun for you. RWB Rag is very fun to play and has some interesting riffs in it. It's the song that really committed me to developing my thumb over the neck to catch the low E string technique. And then you can take on the more advanced Freight Train.

I agree with you on the performance version of KtoK, it's a bit above my pay grade too but I want to take it on in the next year.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the compliment amongst us aspiring finger style wannabes. I think AOSF is going to be fun for you. RWB Rag is very fun to play and has some interesting riffs in it. It's the song that really committed me to developing my thumb over the neck to catch the low E string technique. And then you can take on the more advanced Freight Train.

I agree with you on the performance version of KtoK, it's a bit above my pay grade too but I want to take it on in the next year.

I agree that RWB Rag is fun and doable coming off heels of Over and Out Rag. I am skipping Hesitation Blues altogether for right now. I am at a point where I can get through OAOR from memory. Now I just need to clean up the flub areas.

Thanks for keeping this thread going. It's a real motivator.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write