The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default metal finger picks vs plastic

I bought a few of the plastic finger picks and heat shaped them to fit my fingers. I've noticed it takes a bit to get them in the right position and the tip bent so that I don't bypass the pick and hit the strings with the flesh of my fingertip.

I also watched a video where the instructor used metal finger picks and slightly twisted the tip of the picks to make the angle of attack better so the sound is better. I have a feeling that metal picks would be easier to size to my fingers and wrap over the finger tip to avoid going "under" the pick, but I'm not sure if I would like the sound. Does anyone prefer the metal picks over the plastic or vice a versa?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Guest4562

I have both, but use the plastic finger picks only for recording, and then only when I have to please a finicky producer. I use the metal ones because they feel lighter and less clunky. I have no trouble with the angle of attack. I use brass rather than steel because they are less scratchy, and mine are polished smooth over years of use. The plastic ones will stay on better, but I've found that if I touch my finger to my tongue before I put the brass ones on, they stay put.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 PM

I've been using the metal fingerpicks for over 40 years (National). They just feel natural to me. Maybe because it's what I've always used. I tried the plastic ones and it felt very awkward. I think with me it's just that I've always used the metal ones. I can play with a loud, hard attack or a very soft, calm approach (for slower songs). I guess it's really what feels good to you and gives you the sound you want.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I bought a few of the plastic finger picks and heat shaped them to fit my fingers. I've noticed it takes a bit to get them in the right position and the tip bent so that I don't bypass the pick and hit the strings with the flesh of my fingertip.

I also watched a video where the instructor used metal finger picks and slightly twisted the tip of the picks to make the angle of attack better so the sound is better. I have a feeling that metal picks would be easier to size to my fingers and wrap over the finger tip to avoid going "under" the pick, but I'm not sure if I would like the sound. Does anyone prefer the metal picks over the plastic or vice a versa?
I prefer metal picks, National brand, and I fit them a little off center which is the only way I can keep them from getting caught on the uppick.

To my ear the plastic is a softer sound, not so obviously picky, but I've never gotten a fit I like with them and stopped trying.

have fun figuring out what you like!

yours in tune and steel

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 PM

Metal... I tried plastic ones back in the day, LONG ago.

Nobody I know uses the plastic ones.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Metal picks here.......tried plastic once and that was that. I used to play with a set of antique Nationals, but have moved on to Pro Piks, which give me more. Less pick noise when recording and, yes, a little of that feeling of the flesh of my finger when playing. took just a little while to transition from the Nationals....I did one finger at a time which worked for me.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'll get a few metal ones and give it a go. Thanks everyone.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-25-2015, 11:10 PM

National 0.013's here.

I really believe that 80% of my tone is the result of two metal fingerpicks and a plastic thumbpick. Only 20% is the guitar I happen to be playing.

Bill

Last edited by 6L6; 01-26-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
....Nobody I know uses the plastic ones.
I took a class with Pat Donohue (Prairie Home Companion house guitarist) a few years ago.

He uses plastic picks and explained that it took him a few weeks of diligent persistence to acclimate to them, and, at that time he was quite happy with the eventual results.

He said to the class that just about the time he was ready to give up, it clicked into place.

I probably won't persist, but, it is so nice that there is something for everyone!

yours in tune

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write