The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-20-2017, 05:49 AM

Default Your Favorite Weather Ap?

For some reason, Accuweather has gone insane. It'll say it's raining when it's not, and that it's going to start raining in 120 minutes when it's clearly not. The radar is wonky and I may re-load the local NBC station's ap.

I have not yet upgraded to iOS 11.

Just wondered what you all use and think is the most accurate and easy to use.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-20-2017, 05:56 AM
Guest4562

Weather Underground.

And the European model of where the hurricane is going.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I used to be a big fan of Weatherbug. I uninstalled it out of severe aggravation.

Every time it's windy, they push alerts out to me for all my locations (home, work, current GPS locale) that there is a beach warning. This is due to predicted high waves and turbulence etc.

Well.....except....there is no beach here.

And Weatherbug got really slow and just hangs repeatedly.

I don't even have a weather app anymore - I love having a weather app but can't find one that I can even stand using.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

There is no favorite, there is only the one that is tolerated.

Weather Channel used to be good but they loaded up the screen with so much collateral advertising poop that you find yourself transported to lala land while trying to navigate. Add to that the continually shifting forecasts and you wonder how there can be a vocation that tolerates failure on such a scale.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 AM

I use the NOAA Radar App. Seems to be very accurate and you can tailor the display to suit your needs. You get forecasts in the sidebar.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 AM

I have a few and fine my fellow outdoor sports nuts feel the same way. None are perfect. It's worth spending some money to not have ads and have the best.

Dark Sky is superb but you need to understand that it will use many data sources including your phone's altimeter if it has one. It can give some false positives but is the best if you're near or in the rain and want to know when it will start and stop. It's also great for displaying lots of other good data including sunset.

Ad free Weather Underground can be very good but you need to be aware of the crowd-sourced data. That both adds to and at times hurts accuracy.

Some apps use Dark Sky, Weather Underground, NOAA and other data sources. On data sources you should know nations throughout the world have satellites and scientists. Some of the really good stuff is not made in USA.

Living Earth is a really neat implementation of Weather Underground data where real time display of the earth is the motif or theme.

The people who did MyRadar Pro were really in the business of data for aircraft glass cockpits but as a result made one of the better programs that displays high def radar info.

Climendo is really good but must be understood. Climendo takes your location and aggregates as many of 9 major data sources. It also calculates what data source or network is most accurate over time for a few parameters.

Ventusky works via the web but now has an app. Look at their www site. Then decide if a $ few is worth a better way to manage it while mobile.

RealEarth is free, downright amazing, but not so simple or casual. It's via web, Android or Apple apps. It's a gift from those scientists and academics some hate or don't trust. I can confirm one of them is a great dad and citizen. It's from the University Of Wisconsin near me. Be warned. I think it's up to 200+ data layers. The layer that's now called "storm total" and used to be "4 days precipitation" is really good for planning. So is the "1 hour precipitation" layer. That great scientist dad I mentioned did the local ski trails and snow cover layer for my kids' team, and the all over snow cover layer.

RealEarth layers are the best thing for mobile if you want an easier way to display the NOAA precipitation site's historical data. A few I know have not found any app that replicates the not mobile friendly NOAA precipitation site where you can look backward with many time increments at same time you can drill down to very small areas on a map.

Dark Sky and Climendo are my go to for the trail and event management I do as well as personal always after trail rides and skiing.

Living Earth is a fun way to use Weather Underground data and I like it for travel.

Foreca seems to have very good data but not the best mobile display. The Climendo app sort of fixes that. Very often Foreca data is most accurate for a spot on the map.

If I'm planning a ride, trip within days or event Dark Sky, NOAA, Climendo and Weather Underground are it.

Edit: Yeah, that's a lot but except for high fever, prisoner of airplane or prisoner of car I've biked or hiked or skied or swam every single day this year. Weather apps help.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Weather Underground.
My favourite too. I really like the "Find Nearest Station" feature.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 09-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I have a few, but prefer the interface and accuracy of the ad free version of AccuWeather

AccuWeather - Superior Accuracy by AccuWeather International, Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/accu...300048137?mt=8
Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 AM

http://www.nflweather.com/en/
Old 09-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
There is no favorite, there is only the one that is tolerated.

Weather Channel used to be good but they loaded up the screen with so much collateral advertising poop that you find yourself transported to lala land while trying to navigate. Add to that the continually shifting forecasts and you wonder how there can be a vocation that tolerates failure on such a scale.

Bob

I cracked up at this!!!! It’s so true!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM

I always find complaints about advertising when there are ways to opt out kind of silly. Except for NOAA and other government agencies this is commercial stuff and the employees and investors need to get paid. The weather services governments have are things we pay for. Weather is very important to agriculture and transportation thus the big subsidies or their being public goods.

Climendo kind of solves the varying data issue. The drill down shows weather from a few sources and the hourly screen seems to average it out.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM

WTForecast is the best weather app out there. You’re welcome. [emoji23]
Old 09-20-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
My favourite too. I really like the "Find Nearest Station" feature.
Another vote for Wunderground! Here on the coast, where it can take a trained meteorologist up to 5 years to "get it right" with forecasting, I usually go for Wunderground and then move to match that with our local stations and blogs for info with guys (and gals) I know have been around for a while. The combo works pretty well!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 PM

I use Weather Underground and I've been a member of their blog for a while now.

Windy is also get if you live in the tropics and also good in general.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s