The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-15-2017, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Internet play back differences

I had uploaded a tune to Soundcloud recently, "Lost Hollow Lament" and noticed that at around the 31 second mark the chord played was boomy, yet in the original mp3 it isn't (exported from Audacity as 320 kbps). It's a touch louder, yes, but not as pronounced as the soundcloud play back. Anyone have an idea as to why?

Here's the soundcloud for reference:

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

After fiddling around with them for a while I've gotten the impression that SoundCloud squashes the poop out of your clips when you put them up. I've always carefully encorded my stuff so that it wasn't too large and SoundCloud always found a way to re-encode it so that I couldn't stand to listen. I don't have anything up there right now.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had uploaded a tune to Soundcloud recently, "Lost Hollow Lament" and noticed that at around the 31 second mark the chord played was boomy, yet in the original mp3 it isn't (exported from Audacity as 320 kbps). It's a touch louder, yes, but not as pronounced as the soundcloud play back. Anyone have an idea as to why?

Here's the soundcloud for reference:

Two things to remember.
When streaming SoundCloud compresses all files to 128 bit MP3 regardless of weather you upload an MP3 or and uncompressed WAV file.
If you record in WAV and then have Audacity compress it then upload to SoundCloud and they compress it again that is doubling the compression and double the chances for compression algorithm anomaly So it could be happening in the Audacity compression or the SoundCloud Compression or a combination of the two ..
Which is why I actually upload WAV's to SoundCloud there is only one round of compression happening .

Also to make sure you are comparing apples to apples :
And that you are in fact monitoring the the difference in the same format and on same listening system.
If you record in WAV format (which you should be doing) in Audacity, then that is the format you are actually listening to while monitoring in Audacity. Unless you are having Audacity compress it to 320 MP3, exporting it to your desktop, and then either listening to it on a MP3 format playback application, or importing back into Audacity as a completely new session set up as 320 MP3

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-15-2017, 07:18 AM

Yup, what they said ^^^^.

Upload WAVs to Soundcloud. But, if you have added compression to your tracks (or master), and its 'too much' (i.e "pumping"), the SC compression to their format will exacerbate the problem.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Have your own domain and web space. Have people listen to your original wav files if you wish. I use https://www.hostexcellence.com/hosting-plans

I also use youtube. Not as good audio result but better than soundcloud.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM

I've played around with uploading various things to Soundcloud, WAV's, big mp3's, small mp3's, various levels, various degrees of compression. For me and my music, it seems like mastering a loud but not crushed 128k mp3 makes it the most likely that what goes up is what comes back down. Not ideal, but not terrible. And we get what we pay for, y'know?

Couch Standards
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. I'll test the wav file export tonight. Great info.

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Two things to remember.
When streaming SoundCloud compresses all files to 128 bit MP3 regardless of weather you upload an MP3 or and uncompressed WAV file.
If you record in WAV and then have Audacity compress it then upload to SoundCloud and they compress it again that is doubling the compression and double the chances for compression algorithm anomaly So it could be happening in the Audacity compression or the SoundCloud Compression or a combination of the two ..
Which is why I actually upload WAV's to SoundCloud there is only one round of compression happening .

And that you are in fact monitoring the the difference in the same format and on same listening system.
If you record in WAV format (which you should be doing) in Audacity, then that is the format you are actually listening to while monitoring in Audacity. Unless you are having Audacity compress it to 320 MP3, exporting it to your desktop, and then either listening to it on a MP3 format playback application, or importing back into Audacity as a completely new session set up as 320 MP3
In my tests I have also found that SoundCloud sounds best of you upload 24-bit WAV files.

I have also discovered that the files should measure at an average loudness of 0 on a K20/ITU-R reference & have absolutely no overs and at least a dB or so of headroom.

If you're not already using it, K-Meter is a great tool for getting mixes to sit in that sweet spot.

Mac: https://github.com/Rolias/KMeter-OSX
Windows & Linux: http://www.mzuther.de/en/software/kmeter/

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Two things to remember.

I exported the project again as a wav file and uploaded it to Soundcloud. The boominess has diminished a bit, thanks!

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Always upload uncompressed files to SoundCloud for the reasons given above!
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD