The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Bridge plate question.

I have an old Sae Han acoustic guitar. Got it cheap because it needed work, and I wanted more experience repairing guitars.

I did a neck reset and started to repair a loose bridge. In so doing I discovered that the bridge plate was loose as well.

I know that better guitars have hardwoods for the bridge plate. This one had plywood, so I decided to make one out of hard maple. Got it installed and started working on the bridge, where I found the saddle slot cut totally through the bridge.

I am wondering what effects I can expect, in sound, due to the hardwood bridge plate. Since this was made with plywood, do you think this would affect tone negatively.

I think I should also get a new bridge but am not positive. How would the saddle slot effect tone, being cut all the way through.

Appreciate any response.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM

I would really appreciate some feedback on this. I want to learn and this is the best way for me.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 PM

I think you are much better qualified to tell us the effects than we could from afar....

If the new assembly is lighter than before - it will be louder and brighter. If its heavier than before - it wil be a little more bassy than before. Stiffer likwise tends to make things brighter... More flexible tends toward bass... But when it's never that clean.... You tend to get multiple things all at once.... And the best thing you can do is to make some adjustments once you see what you ended up with vs what you planned.

With all the work you did - it would have been the perfect opportunity to replace the top with a spruce top.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:42 PM

A deeper saddle slot tends to make the sound slightly more 'edgy' or 'punchy', but it is IMHO so slight a difference that it is not worth doing a bridge replacement. You can glue an ebony or rosewood strip on the bottom of the saddle if you want to experiment with the effect.
I always recommend replacing a plywood bridgeplate with one made of solid hardwood, but that is more about durability in resisting wear from the string balls, and reducing chip-out when drilling the bridge pin holes. I have not noticed that it makes a significant difference in the sound.....provided the stiffness is comparable. However, I do think that any time the string balls are digging into the bridgeplate, rectifying the problem (either repair or replacement) will improve volume, punch and sustain.
I repair bridgeplates with thin CA and wood dust. Masking tape is placed over the holes inside. Alternately drop dust and thin CA. Let dry. Remove the masking tape. Drill and ream the pin holes for a snug fit.
I also recommend unslotted bridge pins. The holes are slotted with a saw (coping saw blade or similar) and a needle file.
Unslotted pins are more durable, and save the bridgeplate from wear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair