The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Woo hoo - my first lessons in nearly 20 years!

When I started playing guitar, it was mostly electric and I took lessons for maybe 6 weeks. My teacher was flaky and I got bored with the lessons. Since then, I've been mostly self-taught and have improved by learning learning new songs, playing in bands, performing, etc. This method of learning was always more than sufficient for the rock music that dominates my repertoire.

My approach to fingerstyle, which I started playing 3 years ago after the birth of my daughter (to keep the volume down in the house and to save time in setup), has been much the same. I've taught myself about technique and timing through various resources and have probably gotten to an advanced stage.

But I decided to try taking my fingerstyle to the next level by taking some lessons from a local guitarist I met at a fundraiser, Jim Steinke. I'm hoping to continue my guitar education by getting some more formal training in theory, technique, and an improved understanding of alternate tunings. My focus in the past has mainly been to learn songs that interest me, and whatever technique required was eventually adopted. I'm hoping now that new technique and understanding will help take my music to the next level.

Anyway, I'm really excited about the new possibilities. It'll be my first lesson in nearly 20 years.

Last edited by justonwo; 08-25-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM

Im excited for you..........been taking lessons for 2 months now....its given me a lot more clarity.........being an absolute beginner, I've had to take approaches to things I would have never even considered before....if your self taught you just don't have that "counter council".....its kept me from wasting time on things that wouldn't have helped me much.....my opinion is admittadly underqualified, but I think everyone should take some lessons at some point......Good luck
Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 AM
happiness

Great stuff, thanks for sharing your excitement! This should be a great way to get to that next level.

Has Jim got a programme worked out for you, or is that something you will develop together?

Fliss
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

No program yet. I think he wants to see my level of playing first. My guess is, after the first lesson, we'll be better able to hone in on a suitable lesson plan.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM

One of the things I love about the Bay Area is the variety of world class teachers available. Keep us posted on how the lessons work out. (I expect it will take several months to fully evaluate.)

One of the the cool things about being an adult student is that you get to tell the teacher exactly what you want to accomplish, and you get a big vote on how to accomplish it.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM

wish I could find a teacher........ I keep looking, can't find anyone worth a hoot.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM

If Jim Steinke is as good a teacher as his CDs... lucky!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperguitar View Post
wish I could find a teacher........ I keep looking, can't find anyone worth a hoot.
I'm a newbie on guitar, but I've been on music forums since the dawn of the internet. If you post where you live you can probably get recommendations.

For myself, I've been playing drums and bass in bands for decades. One of the guitarists in one of my bands teaches for a living. He'll be my first stop. I'm learning so much by myself right now though.

KO

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write