The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Rocksmith video game for 360

anyone try this? its on sale for pickup at gamestops for $50 down from $80. includes a guitar cable to USB that can be used for PC/macs for guitar pro too

seems like a decent deal
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM

I've played it quite a bit. The best part of the game, by far, is the wealth of mini-games and technique practice that they have successfully turned into level-based fun.

I am mostly unimpressed with the songs they chose to include with the game. It seems that bands are now signing on, and some good stuff is available via downloadable content. But have you seen how much space an individual tune takes up on a hard drive?!

So yeah, I like it quite a bit. Just be prepared for some minor frustrations.

'10 Bourgeois Custom OMC, '90-ish Lowden F22, '09 Simon & Patrick Folk Cutaway, '09 Recording King RO-06, '10 Paco Marin PM 395
'92 Epiphone Les Paul, '11 Grosh ElectraJet
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM

I have also enjoyed Rocksmith. in my case, it has improved my playing speed and my familiarity with the upper frets. Also, I find that I am learning how to play along with the group/groove.

The songs are a strange conglomeration, but hopefully with time, will improve.

It has been very interesting to see my electric rock playing improve over the last few weeks... and I thnk that Rocksmith has played a substantial role in pushing me beyond my comfort zone.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM

To rehash an old post--
I've been playing acoustic rhythm for about 16 years now but have never gotten into electric styles although I have owned a few electrics over the years. I could never get over the idea of effects, amps, etc and having to dial in tones. But I am getting pretty bored with just playing chord progressions and want to take my playing to the next level. Since I do have an Xbox "for the kids" I figured I would give rocksmith a try when I saw it for $30. I went to GC and got one of the Epi LP specials for $120 and have been really impressed so far. There are a ton of tools on there to build electric playing skills. The riff repeater tool is a great way to learn a song. I agree the songs are a little light, but I think if them as an introduction to new music that I otherwise wouldn't listen to and the guitar riffs are pretty nice. I downloaded some foo fighters and rush to work on as well. I see it as a great interface to really learn to play electric.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM

I've got it for PS3 and I honestly don't like it too much. I guess it has it's place, but the lag time between when I play a note on the guitar and I hear it on the tv kills it for me. I've heard that there are ways to reduce this lag though. I've been playing for awhile and really didn't see it as a valuable learning tool for me, although I've tried to get some beginner friends of mine to give it a whirl.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM

Evidently I posted my original thoughts in the wrong forum, but here was my review:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=288840

TL;DR – I would suggest Rocksmith to anyone who is in the basic to basic intermediate level and wants a structured tool for learning. It won’t replace a teacher, but it can encourage you to get better, try new songs, and hopefully progress your playing.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM

There's something for the Xbox besides Call of Duty? Who knew!

Cary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write