The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Brown Eyed Girl - Acoustic Spicing Up help

I've been practicing this tune using a variety of resources on the web and trying to add a little spice acousticly but have two questions.

1.) What is a good progression to do after the inital chorus ending on the extra "la te da " (G Chord) and the start of the last verse "So hard to find my way". I keep hearing some sort of riff in my head similar to the intro one but coming of the "G" chord. Any ideas?

2.) In one rendition of the song on youtube a guy does a walk down from G to Em on the lead in to the chorus. Does anyone know what the fingering is for the walk down? I can't seem to figure it out. The video I'm referring to is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXvrAam4vyI and the part is around the 5:15-5:40 area. He mentions "you pretty much just walk it down to this D right here" But I can seem to understand it.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!

Cheers,

CH
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM

I was trying to figure out what this guy was doing after the verse (start @ 1:47) to give you an idea of what I was trying to lay down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obD0Ib5zL9g

Would still love to know that base walk down too.

Has anyone one ever implemented these things or seen a tab?

Thanks

CH...
Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHand_79 View Post
2.) In one rendition of the song on youtube a guy does a walk down from G to Em on the lead in to the chorus. Does anyone know what the fingering is for the walk down? I can't seem to figure it out. The video I'm referring to is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXvrAam4vyI and the part is around the 5:15-5:40 area. He mentions "you pretty much just walk it down to this D right here" But I can seem to understand it.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!

Cheers,

CH
Pretty easy. It's basically G-F#-E on the 6th string:
----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------
-3--2--0-----------

On the F# he's kind of playing a D chord at the same time - that's what he means by "walking down to the D", it's a D/F# chord. But you don't need to play the full chord, if it's just one beat. You can the G on first beat (actually it would be beats 1-2-3 of the bar), the single F# bass on beat 4, then the Em on the next beat 1. Any open strings you happen to hit when picking the F# won't sound wrong.
If you wanted a full 2 beats on the transition chord, you'd need to play a full D/F#. |G - D/F# - |Em.
The F# bass (on D/F#) would normally be fretted with the thumb.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHand_79 View Post
I was trying to figure out what this guy was doing after the verse (start @ 1:47) to give you an idea of what I was trying to lay down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obD0Ib5zL9g
He's playing that opening riff, but on the bass strings:
Code:
G               C              G              D
---------------|--------------|--------------|--------------|
---------------|--0---2---0---|--------------|(0)-----------|
---0---2---0---|3-----------3-|--0---2---0---|--------------|
-3-----------3-|--------------|3-----------3-|--------------|
Of course he's strumming other strings as he's doing that, probably holding those chords. It's not too hard to lift the finger off the 5th and 4th strings to play those open notes.
Aim for the bass strings with your pick but don't worry if you happen to hit 2 or 3 strings at the same time. (On the D chord he more or less just strums the whole chord.)
As long as you get the rhythm right, you don't have to be too precise.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Thanks Jon! I can't wait to try it out tonight.

Have a good day.

Regards,

CH...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Thanks again Jon. I was able to get that little extra out of the song thanks to your help.

Cheers,

CH...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write