The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-11-2016, 02:50 PM

Default Guitar Wood and Clamps: Are These Sellable?

Way back in the early 1970s my dad got me Irving Sloane's "Classical Guitar Construction" book and the two of us intended to build our own guitar. One thing led to another and, well, we never got around to it.

My dad passed away a few years ago and when going through the basement to see what could be gotten rid of to help my mom downsize, I discovered the remains of our aborted project.

Although part of me would like to build a guitar some day, if I'm honest with myself it's so low on my bucket list that it most likely won't happen. In addition, now that I'm retired, downsizing myself, and thinking of relocating (I'm currently in the Chicago area), I'm wondering if any of what I have would be of value to a builder or whether I should just scrap it.

What I found in the basement was:

1) Spruce for the top (what kind I don't know)
2) Mahogany for the neck
3) Triangular mahogany strips for kerfing
4) The beginnings of 4 wood clamps
5) The forms for bending the sides

The wood was purchased from H.L. Wild Co. of New York in the 70s.

Any thoughts?

2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 02-11-2016, 05:25 PM

Yes, it is certainly sellable. Aged wood is preferred by most knowledgeable luthiers, and the fact that it is 40 +/- years old is a plus.
I think the top is Sitka spruce, and the mahogany is most likely genuine Honduran.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 PM

These materials are of some interest to builders and repairers, but trying to sell them will be somewhat frustrating, and net you relatively little cash. I recommend you contact local luthiers and offer them as a gift. You'll have the assurance that the stuff will be used for the purpose your dad had in mind, help out the local craft scene, and save yourself a bit of unnecessary trouble, particularly considering the other difficulties in moving a household. . .

Frank Ford
Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
These materials are of some interest to builders and repairers, but trying to sell them will be somewhat frustrating, and net you relatively little cash. I recommend you contact local luthiers and offer them as a gift. You'll have the assurance that the stuff will be used for the purpose your dad had in mind, help out the local craft scene, and save yourself a bit of unnecessary trouble, particularly considering the other difficulties in moving a household. . .
That's a good suggestion, especially as money is not really my aim. I just hate to see the material go to waste. The only local luthier I know of is R.E. Brune. Perhaps I could see if he would have an interest.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 02-12-2016, 10:39 AM

You could always ask a luthier to build a guitar with the wood for you. That way it could still be a quasi-bucket list item.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Mostly in agreement with Frank. But I think it would be fair to ask 50 bucks for the lot.

The top, while old, could be great or it could be student grade. Well quartered and low run out are the keys. The mahogany is little volume so not great cost anyhow. The piece on the left has grain running at an angle. The clamps will take more money and time to complete, so pre made clamps are likely just as good a value for a pro. A hobbiest may enjoy the project. Point is, little selling value in the clamps. Mostly just value in the top.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
That's a good suggestion, especially as money is not really my aim. I just hate to see the material go to waste. The only local luthier I know of is R.E. Brune. Perhaps I could see if he would have an interest.
Brune might not be interested, but he might well know someone who would.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:23 PM

tbh, if this was a momentum of something I was to build with my father and I couldn't execute it, I'd have a luthier to build a guitar with it's parts in order to preserve the memory that the components represent.

On the topic, I do think you could sell it, however, there should be some evaluation on the quality of the material itself.

regards, Hikari.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair