The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Mayer is more than useful on guitar...
Perhaps for some, but not all, myself included. My initial exposure to him was his pop stuff (Daughters, Wonderland) complete with the clean cut hair-du, unique voice and the bevy of teenage girls in the first row screaming their lungs out. Then this of list failed romances with other "stars" (Given her track record, why anyone would date Jennifer Anniston is beyond me).

Then (not sure if it was before or after his pop success, but it was "after" for me) he shows up on the Dave Chappell show. If you haven't seen the full video on "The myth that white people can't dance" you need to check it out. If you think it's racist, it's at least equally racist to whites, blacks and hispanics/latinos and that John would lend his guitar playing to such a video increased his stock in my book. Despite some video discussions/interviews to the contrary, it showed me he didn't take himself too seriously. Hilarious !

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...e=sbc_dsl&tt=b

It was really his guitar building commercial vs video that caught my attention and motivated me to take a deeper look. The one where he goes vs seeks into the guitar shop after hours and bends and constructs his own signature acoustic guitar. "Well if Martin thinks enough of his guitar playing to start a signature edition, maybe he deserves a closer look" I thought.

Now, I see where he is touring the Dead, stepping up to play Jerry Garcia's role in the band. Wow ! From "Wonderland" now to "Sugar Magnolia", it really seemed like a mismatch to me, both in musical styles, age (he looks like a baby faced teenager; How old is he ? (30's ?) and chops. But looking at the video's of his performances, he does a fine job on wrote playing to improvisational jams and more than a few dead heads reviews have commented on how he somehow brings Jerry's musical energy and style back to the band, who has tried other guitarists since Jerry passed.

So I remain impressed with his skills. No need in my mind to compare him to TE or Jason Isabell as they're really doing different stuff and even if they are better than him, that in no way diminishes his skills. I wish I could come close.

My hat is also off to him for attempting to chart a new course through blues, rock, metal and pop and in doing so introducing a whole new generation of fans to the blues and legendary blues players like Buddy Guy. His popular success allows him to get away with playing bluesy stuff in front teenagers and twenty-somethings; expanding the audiences horizons and stretching the boundaries of what can become popular music.

Glad so may are enjoying this thread and voicing opinions.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 02-12-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Maybe a little off topic but her track record is exactly why you'd want to date Jennifer Aniston.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Maybe a little off topic but her track record is exactly why you'd want to date Jennifer Aniston.
LOL. I get your point here, but after so many failed marriages and high profile failed relationships, it's pretty clear that some thing is just not right there, bless her heart. Sooner or later you've to look in the mirror to figure out what's wrong, rather than blame others or the situation. I actually don't keep track, but it seems that she's on her way to be rivaling Mickey Rooney and Liz Taylor for failed marriages.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
LOL. I get your point here, but after so many failed marriages and high profile failed relationships, it's pretty clear that some thing is just not right there, bless her heart. Sooner or later you've to look in the mirror to figure out what's wrong, rather than blame others or the situation. I actually don't keep track, but it seems that she's on her way to be rivaling Mickey Rooney and Liz Taylor for failed marriages.

John
She was married to Brad Pitt, who cheated on her with another woman. And she recently got married for the second time. She's got a way to go to catch up.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwrm View Post
She was married to Brad Pitt, who cheated on her with another woman. And she recently got married for the second time. She's got a way to go to catch up.
I thought this was at least number three, but checked and you are correct, just two. I stand corrected on her marriages. She does have a long way to go toward that 7-9 range.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 02-12-2016, 03:31 PM

A little late to this thread, but I actually think that John Mayer is underrated as a guitarist and, especially, a songwriter. I think if people were to actually listen to his whole body of work, they'd have a higher opinion of him as a musician. The fact that he been known to make poor decisions and date a bunch of celebs, I think has turned some off to him.

Here's a tune that, I think, shows what a storyteller he is/can be. There's quite a few songs, like this of his, that most people aren't aware of.

In 2002, I saw John Mayer at a meet and greet at Tavern on the Green in Central Park and also, the concert that night. Maybe because he had less material back then, but he really jammed out and extended the songs. I was kind of surprised since at that point, I was only familiar with Room For Squares.

First video is the album version where you can read the lyrics on screen.

Second, is a live version, where he plays it on a 12 string resonator. Walt Grace starts at 2:20, if you want to skip Drifting Blues and go directly to that song. Either way, enjoy!

Last edited by starr; 02-12-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
So I'm curious, if "there are a lot of players that would be capable of playing his stuff note for note" because in your view, they don't possess "otherworldly technique", then what do you credit for them being held in such high regard as players--not just by the public, but by their peers? Not being critical of your view...just genuinely interested in your take.
In some ways, I would argue that as pure players they ARE overrated. Don't take that as disrespect - I like them both quite a bit. There are a lot of players out there who have that blues/rock style down, with similar licks and vibrato, and good phrasing. When you talk about guys like, say, a Guthrie Govan or TE, then there you're in a different stratosphere where very very few, if any players can do what they're doing.

To me, it all comes down to the ability to write and create (coupled with very good playing. I truly believe I could hold my own, playing-wise, with either in a blues/rock jam. So could a lot of guys. But I can't sing at all, and I definitely can't write music on that level. And that's why they're famous and I'm not!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presc View Post
In some ways, I would argue that as pure players they ARE overrated. Don't take that as disrespect - I like them both quite a bit. There are a lot of players out there who have that blues/rock style down, with similar licks and vibrato, and good phrasing. When you talk about guys like, say, a Guthrie Govan or TE, then there you're in a different stratosphere where very very few, if any players can do what they're doing.

To me, it all comes down to the ability to write and create (coupled with very good playing. I truly believe I could hold my own, playing-wise, with either in a blues/rock jam. So could a lot of guys. But I can't sing at all, and I definitely can't write music on that level. And that's why they're famous and I'm not!
Well said. Creating an original piece of music is an pretty amazing thing.
Recreating it, not so much.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:14 PM

With Gary Clark Jr.

https://youtu.be/RyFs13mMtPo

And a bunch others doing SRV

https://youtu.be/pqFcVqiM5ao

Last edited by Sage97; 02-27-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:48 PM

John Mayer is an incredible guitarist with many different styles under his belt. He went through some rough years personally in his 20s and early 30s and I think that notoriety eclipsed his immense talent for awhile.

Clapton has stated that John doesn't realize how talented he is. Clapton uses words like "master guitarist", "phenomenal", etc. see short clip below

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tzfrXiD1_Rg

I saw them play Crossroads together and Mayer just nails it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh4n1bZi4d8

Mayer on acoustic playing killer "Something like Olivia"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=izkqPdVAdL4

Mayer accompanying Leon Russell (Mayer really comes in about 2 minutes)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODzUvFQvK0
Old 02-28-2016, 01:35 AM

My favorite is when he plays in this movie

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/19...tter-sharknado
Old 02-28-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasin View Post
My favorite is when he plays in this movie

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/19...tter-sharknado
Lol, that interview was hilarious. What's funny is that John Mayer really kind of took control of that joke interview, and not Bill Burr, who is hilarious for a living.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk of Funk View Post
Lol, that interview was hilarious. What's funny is that John Mayer really kind of took control of that joke interview, and not Bill Burr, who is hilarious for a living.
I think when people think JM is being arrogant, they're missing the joke. He is a funny guy who is not afraid to make himself the but of the joke.

He's the exact opposite of someone like Kanye West.

Doerr/Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion