The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Try it with the strings you're not supposed to cut until AFTER they've been wrapped around the tuning posts.
With roundwound strings, you can bend them and then cut past the bend so that they don't come unwound. That is what pyramid strings recommends to do if pre cutting is necessary
Old 12-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

slotted headstocks are no more difficult than slab heads.

It is not necessary to pre-cut the strings.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
slotted headstocks are no more difficult than slab heads.
Bleedin' are!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Bleedin' are!
It's just a matter of learning to do it properly. The same way you had to learn how to string a solid headstock. And It is something that everyone can learn to do (discounting disabled people). But you have to learn the right way.

I've never once cut my fingers while changing strings on a slothead, not even my first time. I'm not sure what people do for this to happen
Old 12-21-2014, 07:01 PM

The great mystery of the Universe is how someone who has the dexterity in their fingers and hands to play a slot head guitar has to experience arterial bleeding changing the strings on one.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The great mystery of the Universe is how someone who has the dexterity in their fingers and hands to play a slot head guitar has to experience arterial bleeding changing the strings on one.
Heck, I got my finger to bleed on a non-slot-head Greven . . . . AFTER it had been strung up for a day or so.

It was during my 72-hr trial period from Dream Guitars, so I took it as a sign that I was truly bonding with the instrument and decided to keep it.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 AM

Have you had your tetanus shot?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
The Taylor method worked great for me. Just have to pay a little more attention after the first inside string wind to make sure the remaining winds don't go to far out to the right.
Yeah, I do not get why there is so much fear about this, it's not that different than a paddle head. Reading AGF I was worried I was in over my head, but it is maybe a mm more challenging than first time changing strings, and I am no DIY mastermind -- honestly prefer to pay people when it makes sense or even if I feel it's not worth my time -- but this is not hard. If you're in doubt check out the Taylor PDF and video and it's as easy as it looks ( or if it looks hard, then it's easier than it looks).

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painasusual View Post
I dont get the whole slotheads are harder go restring thing.
I agree; you're doing exactly the same thing as with a non-slotted headstock but sideways. A little more awkward, perhaps.

Last edited by AndrewG; 12-22-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 AM

For what it's worth...
  • On the "Taylor Method" string change video, at the end there is a short segment on changing steel strings on a slotted headstock... I found it very helpful my first time
  • I add one thing, after "cut to correct length", and "insert in tuning post"... the unwound strings always pull out when I start winding... I use a pair of dikes to bend the last 1/4" of string, and I bend it tight... keeps the string in place, and the bend keeps the sharp end from being a blood drawing implement.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

I can change strings on a slot head, but I don't care for it. It's not hard, but stringing guitars is like meditation for me. With slot heads, I am just a bit more anxious so it is less satisfying.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM

My first time was a bloodbath, thankfully I haven't repeated that effort since

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 12-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
My first time was a bloodbath, thankfully I haven't repeated that effort since
Since yesterday was my first try I can happily report no blood! I actually think there is less chance of that on a slot head then a regular string change since I don't have to leave as much of the string left after tuning. I didn't need to trim any like I usually do with a regular headstock.

I'm definitely in the "no big deal" camp on slot head string changes now but I also understand the trepidation for those who haven't done it before. My only advice is at worst you might blow five bucks on a pair of strings so you might as well give it a shot at least once.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
It's just a matter of learning to do it properly. The same way you had to learn how to string a solid headstock. And It is something that everyone can learn to do (discounting disabled people). But you have to learn the right way.

I've never once cut my fingers while changing strings on a slothead, not even my first time. I'm not sure what people do for this to happen
Yeah, yeah, yeah ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion