The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 AM

Give out personal information for ... a set of strings. I think not. I gladly pay for my preferred strings. They'll make a lot more money selling your personal information than it will cost them for a set of import strings.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Give out personal information for ... a set of strings. I think not. I gladly pay for my preferred strings. They'll make a lot more money selling your personal information than it will cost them for a set of import strings.
That information is all out there anyway and is pretty easy for someone to find. I suspect if you do sign up for a free set to of strings you wil get them plus a whole bunch of music related junk mail.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:26 PM

The outing of personal info is only one of many risks an unknown web provider poses. While they may have unscrupulous intent obtaining the personal information there are other potentially more serious issues that you open yourselves up to.

I work in information security and have seen so many schemes to dupe people and organizations. Your contact info is just the greeting card for the next stages of any other potential attack. The most nefarious possibility of obtaining your personal information might be make the linkage between a guitar string consumer and the potential of obtaining high value guitars by burglary. While this is fairly unlikely, there is a potential. I especially would not respond to a follow up survey to these people stating what make and model of guitar I tried the strings on.

No the greater dangers involve setting you up for a potential scam via social engineering buying your trust with their offer, or targeting your computer with malware as you 'click' and press enter to input the information.

It's simply not a good idea to interact with a website that you don't know who is behind it. This site has no identification that you'd associate with the guitar industry.

I'm hoping that none of you get burned by this site but I have a real bad feeling about what I saw there. Just remember it's worth about what you pay for it (or less).

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-02-2014, 02:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

After signing up I got 2 out of state text messages from someone wanting to hook up and 4 calls from non-profit companies trying to get donations. Coincidence? Something similar happen to any of you guys??
Old 11-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Voe View Post
After signing up I got 2 out of state text messages from someone wanting to hook up and 4 calls from non-profit companies trying to get donations. Coincidence? Something similar happen to any of you guys??
They don't ask for your phone number on the form so, it wasn't from the string company.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Vee_Vee... give me your personal info you supplied and let me see if I can find your phone number with it...

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Vee_Vee... give me your personal info you supplied and let me see if I can find your phone number with it...
If they had his number, and were going through the effort of connecting the dots, you think their best effort would be hook-up texts and charity calls? I think it's shameful to try to mislead people into thinking they just committed a grievous mistake.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am not trying to mislead anyone, what good does that do me? Just figured it was strange since I haven't given my info to anyone or anything in the past month except for this one. I think it's rather shameful of you accusing me of misleading folks by sharing a bit of "facts", I did clearly state that it might just be coincidence
Old 11-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Voe View Post
I am not trying to mislead anyone, what good does that do me? Just figured it was strange since I haven't given my info to anyone or anything in the past month except for this one. I think it's rather shameful of you accusing me of misleading folks by sharing a bit of "facts", I did clearly state that it might just be coincidence
You weren't the one being quoted. When I quoted you I told you that the phone number wasn't on the form so the calls weren't coming form the string company. That's all I said to you.

It was someone's else's inference that they are retrieving your phone number via the other info you gave which I though was irresponsible.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If they had his number, and were going through the effort of connecting the dots, you think their best effort would be hook-up texts and charity calls? I think it's shameful to try to mislead people into thinking they just committed a grievous mistake.
Not trying to mislead anyone either.. 'warn' yes... 'Mislead' no.

Not sure your area of expertise but I work in the information security compliance area and I've seen how these things are done and how incrementally these schemes can be and in fact are often.

It is 'shameful' as you say to trivialize your exposure on the net. I am not saying this is a bad site..but it had all the markers of potentially being a setup. The only forgiving factor I would see in the scenario is that the link came out of side bar ad on FaceBook; which would lend it some credibility but that doesn't mean FB didn't screw up along the way.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Not trying to mislead anyone either.. 'warn' yes... 'Mislead' no.

Not sure your area of expertise but I work in the information security compliance area and I've seen how these things are done and how incrementally these schemes can be and in fact are often.

It is 'shameful' as you say to trivialize your exposure on the net. I am not saying this is a bad site..but it had all the markers of potentially being a setup. The only forgiving factor I would see in the scenario is that the link came out of side bar ad on FaceBook; which would lend it some credibility but that doesn't mean FB didn't screw up along the way.
I'm all for security and I'm frequently sharing articles about privacy infringement with others. My friends, family, and followers probably wish I would give it a rest. However, I disagree with the string page having all the markers. Not asking for a phone number was the first sign of sincerity I noticed. I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong for electing to avoid it or telling others to be cautious. I completely respect and appreciate that. It's when it traveled over into what I thought was unrealistic that I felt the need to speak up. It's good to be cautious but at some point we take reasonable risks every day when we eat, drive, etc, etc.
Again, I respectfully disagree with some of what you said but I do appreciate you encouraging awareness and caution.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM

"Not trying to mislead anyone either.. 'warn' yes... 'Mislead' no."

Some people believe in letting no good deed go unpunished, Kip.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:26 PM

US only, darn
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
That information is all out there anyway and is pretty easy for someone to find. I suspect if you do sign up for a free set to of strings you wil get them plus a whole bunch of music related junk mail.
Then the right thing for you will be different than for me. I don't need strings or more junk mail. The difference is when you give out your information they will come looking for you.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Did anybody ever get any of these ? Nothing so far

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion