The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Default Odd, for me at least

I'm about two months (give or take) with my new Martin HD28V and I realize that's still kind of the "honeymoon" period but, what I find odd is that I hardly ever plug in anymore during my 1-2 hours each day practice session. And I've got probably one of the best acoustic amps I've ever played through. (Rivera Sedona Lite) I seem to be so satisfied with just the acoustic tone on this guitar that I want to hear it' tone. I've never owned an acoustic that I didn't plug in no matter how good, or bad for that matter it was. Maybe it's age I don't know. 55 right this moment so it's either I'm getting old or this thing really does sound as good as I think it does.
Any experience with this from you guys? Thanks!

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM

I guess I'm the opposite of you. I never plug in when I practice alone. I only plug in when it's a necessity.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Sounds to me that you have found your soulmate...If she is this good naked...then how will she sound dressed up?
Maybe the elusive search for tone is over?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Perhaps in the past, Rick, you had acoustic guitars that benefited from whatever tonal boost plugging them in gave you. But with this Martin you've crossed the threshold where the acoustic tone is diminished by being plugged in.

Really fine acoustic guitars generate a very complex tone, one that's difficult to capture with a pickup. So plugging them into an amp results in a reduction of their tone, not a boost.

That's why I typically use both a pickup AND a microphone on my instruments when I'm onstage: the pickup for the basic sound, and the mic for the "air" sound, and also to serve as a primitive volume control device, so I can move in or away from it as needed.

Anyway, enjoy your superb new Martin guitar!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Rick,

I keep my Martin's pristine, no pickups, except for always having one acoustic electric for gigs when I can't use microphones.

My acoustic electric never gets played acoustically (always amplified), and my acoustics are only amplified using microphones.

I'm funny that way..................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 PM

What would you plug in? HD-28V's generally don't have a pickup in them unless you special order or have on installed. Do you have an HD-28VE?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukybob2 View Post
I guess I'm the opposite of you. I never plug in when I practice alone. I only plug in when it's a necessity.
+1. I prefer the tone of my acoustics unplugged ... just a natural, unamplified, tone.

It sounds like you're loving your HD-28v and that is not a surprise to me!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Hi Rick,

I have not plugged into an amp for quite a while. I guess I prefer the acoustic sound of my guitars. Amplified guitars almost never sound accurate to me.

I'm glad you are enjoying that new Martin!

- Glenn
Old 07-25-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Perhaps in the past, Rick, you had acoustic guitars that benefited from whatever tonal boost plugging them in gave you. But with this Martin you've crossed the threshold where the acoustic tone is diminished by being plugged in.

Really fine acoustic guitars generate a very complex tone, one that's difficult to capture with a pickup. So plugging them into an amp results in a reduction of their tone, not a boost.

That's why I typically use both a pickup AND a microphone on my instruments when I'm onstage: the pickup for the basic sound, and the mic for the "air" sound, and also to serve as a primitive volume control device, so I can move in or away from it as needed.

Anyway, enjoy your superb new Martin guitar!

Wade Hampton Miller
Which greatly whets my appetite regarding the new Martin Retro guitars whose vintage signature Martin tone is achieved through new Fishman electronics. I await the first expert reviews.

I've never plugged in, only occasionally stood in front of a standing mic, so I don't have any experience in this matter. But I'm glad you've experienced a new threshold, and a good one at that. That I can relate to.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM

What I like about your post is that you got that new baby at age 55. You go man!!!

I bought a new HD-28 last month, at the age of 63. And I don't even know how to play. But, I'll tell you what, she sure is motiving me to learn and I'm really enjoying it. I'm working on it every day and noticing improvement.

After retiring, cutting the grass and growing a few veggies on the deck just didn't cut it for me.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
What would you plug in? HD-28V's generally don't have a pickup in them unless you special order or have on installed. Do you have an HD-28VE?
A pickup of course.

Great comments guys and thanks!

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Rick,

I keep my Martin's pristine, no pickups, except for always having one acoustic electric for gigs when I can't use microphones.

My acoustic electric never gets played acoustically (always amplified), and my acoustics are only amplified using microphones.

I'm funny that way..................
Im with you on that train of thought...however my ears have let me to buy guitars that had piezo pickups because of their acoustic tone...leaving me always thinking " I wonder what this would sound like without that saddle pickup?"
Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Yep, I'm 55 and about to buy a new Martin too. I stumbled across a book in the library years ago that described the musical journey of a man who started learning the cello in his 60s. I believe he wound up playing with an orchestra....It's never to late to follow your passion, or to improve yourself.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1. I prefer the tone of my acoustics unplugged ... just a natural, unamplified, tone.
+2. I can't remember ever playing an acoustic guitar that sounded better plugged-in than unplugged.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Not true. HD28V's are amplified. Naturally

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion