The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 PM

Default Foreign (Asian) vs American made guitars

I'm going to throw this out there (and just so everyone understands, I am coming at this as an owner of a Alvarez [Chinese made] MD70).

As has been illustrated in another thread (Eastman E20P vs Martin 00-28vs), Asian made guitars are a wonderful alternative to American made guitars. I can attest to the wonderful sound and build quality of Asian manufactured guitars. My guitar instructor, a professional musician, plays a Martin D-28 and even she has commented on how nicely constructed and sounding my guitar is, that it isn't that far of from her guitar. In spite of the kind words from my instructor I still hope to own a Martin one day.

A few thoughts first: 1. should Asian made guitars "only" be considered knock-offs of, say, Martin guitars and 2. aren't all modern guitars basically copies of Martin guitars somewhere along the line? I have no intention of offending anyone, I'm just asking out of curiosity. Okay, here goes - is the real draw of Asian produced guitars the fact that you get a Martin "like" sound and very good build quality for less expense? Or, do players really desire Asian made guitars and would purchase them without regard to price?

I have to admit, if I had the money, I would have purchased a Martin D-28 instead of the MD70 I did purchase. I write this not because the MD70 is a piece of garbage, it is far from being a piece of garbage, but because I value the history and tradition that is a Martin guitar.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM

Most of the imports will get you 70-80% of what domestic brands do. If and when you need that last 20-30% is when you appreciate what the domestic makers can really do. As you play more guitars, what is a subtle difference now may seem a stark difference as your experience expands.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM

People keep their Martins for decades. The test is to see if the Asian instruments stand that type of test.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Individual guitars can be good or bad no matter what country, region or planet they are made on. Enjoy the music they make and not who makes them.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 PM

All my guitars are Asian built and they are all fantastic. The tone and build quality a excellent but that's because I hand picked most of them myself the problem with Asian guitar is that the quality control is nowhere near what a USA made guitar is like and so there are a lot more duds with Asian guitars. But that being said you can get an extremely great sounding guitar if you try Alot of them. When I brought my RD126 I tried all the examples I could find most sounded good but the one I ended up with sounded amazing. But all things equal you really can tell when you are holding a well built guitar
RECORDING KING RD-06
RECORDING KING ROS-16
Alvarez Delta 00
Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 PM

I decided a long time ago that if given the opportunity when I decide to buy anything I will buy Canadian first USA second anywhere else third. Every year my choices get smaller as more and more manufacturing heads overseas.

I don't care what anyone else does.

As for guitars, I found Seagull and Larrivee but I have always wanted a Gibson. I ordered a Halcyon AJ from Ed Bond and it took care of that itch. (I still want a Gibson and a Jimmy Moon)

I haven't looked at any of the Asian guitars in years so I have no opinion but I read here that they are very good.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
Individual guitars can be good or bad no matter what country, region or planet they are made on. Enjoy the music they make and not who makes them.
That's a killjoy response.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
is the real draw of Asian produced guitars the fact that you get a Martin "like" sound and very good build quality for less expense?
My guitar is made in China and I don't know that it has a "Martin like sound" nor do I care.
I just know that I like the way it sounds and it suits me just fine...and I'm very glad that I didn't have to spend a "Martin like" price tag for it.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I decided a long time ago that if given the opportunity when I decide to buy anything I will buy Canadian first USA second anywhere else third. Every year my choices get smaller as more and more manufacturing heads overseas.

I don't care what anyone else does.

As for guitars, I found Seagull and Larrivee but I have always wanted a Gibson. I ordered a Halcyon AJ from Ed Bond and it took care of that itch. (I still want a Gibson and a Jimmy Moon)

I haven't looked at any of the Asian guitars in years so I have no opinion but I read here that they are very good.
I agree with choosing to purchase a North American product.

I don't care what anyone else does either - this is just a thread and a discussion.

I can safely say that my Alvarez just blows away the Seagull S6 I owned. Probably has more to do with the difference in sound between a solid wood guitar and a solid top with laminate sides and different bracing systems than anything else. If I had had the opportunity I probably would have purchased a Maritime SWS Rosewood instead of the Alvarez MD70 but that opportunity did not present itself and I am very happy with my MD70.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
People keep their Martins for decades. The test is to see if the Asian instruments stand that type of test.
I have 3-60's/70's Alvarez guitars, and 2 Yairi 70's/80's, all are near mint condition. Built well play well no structural issues. Only issue with any is my 5024 Dove, the Bridge assembly sucks, HOWEVER that was GIBSONS idea. I have since replaced that with a solid Ebony insert, with one piece bone saddle. Actually the way it should have been built in the first place.
All of the above guitars, cost a fraction of domestic built guitars. I would say 50 plus years is a fair assessment.

Dan
Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post

Quote:
That's a killjoy response.
I can't stand people with pointblank responses....

Dan
Old 01-26-2015, 06:31 PM

I've spent my career in manufacturing and so I'm very biased and a few other things.

When it comes to a new purchase, I don't care what the quality, sound or price point is, I will first look at a USA brand with the priority being Made in America. When it comes to used, what ever sounds and feels the best.

The second tier is, what ever isn't made in China, I consider China's manufacturing experiment to be a blight on the world and only time will tell whether or not I'm justified in my non PC opinion.

As a human, I am subject to errors and inconstancies.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:

A few thoughts first: 1. should Asian made guitars "only" be considered knock-offs of, say, Martin guitars and 2. aren't all modern guitars basically copies of Martin guitars somewhere along the line?
The concept of Martin "knock-offs" is kind of amusing. There are only some many shapes and sizes that a guitar can be. Martin is an old company that has produced many of these, so since they built first, others can be called copies. This isn't limited to Asian companies. American companies (Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Collings) also produce guitars with Martin "shapes", as well as Gibson shapes.

Only some of the Asian companies really try to emulate the Martin tone, even though they might produce guitars that come in dread or OM shapes. Blueridge has made an attempt copy the Martin tone, and has done a pretty good job. Others, like Eastman, have their own characteristic tones that don't mimic Martin -- at least the one's I've played -- but folks who own Eastman's can correct me on this.

Bottom line is I'd drop the "Martin knock-off" image and judge a guitar on it's own merits. Not knocking Martin here. I like the Martin tone, and when I'm stuck trying to describe it, I usually end up saying that it sounds -- you know, like a Martin.

So I guess I'd agree with your second point -- with qualification.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I agree with choosing to purchase a North American product.
I completely agree that we should buy domestic products FIRST, only two problems, Greedy manufacturers, and Greedy Union workers running the prices up.

Dan
Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 PM

It is interesting, in cycling most carbon frames, no matter what the brand, are made in Asia. Italian, Canadian (my Cervélo is Asian made), American etc. are all made in China and Taiwan. I have not found Asian made bikes as always being substandard.

Both guitars in my home are Asian made, one in Indonesia the other in China. I have not been playing long enough to say they are substandard sounding but the build quality on both is top notch.

I will say my Fender sounds pretty good to me and I have played it side by side with my nephew's Taylor and found that a really expensive won't make me sound any better at this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion