The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-15-2015, 02:18 PM

Default How high can I safely tune nylon strings above standard?

I use Augustine Black Label strings, (=regular trebles with low tension basses), and tunings of standard, drop-D and open-G. The strings seem to settle down very quickly between tunings but I now want to play Koyunbaba which requires C# minor tuning, (C# G# C# G# C# E), and I am a bit concerned that this may be a stretch too far for some of the strings.

What do you think? Is this likely to snap a string, (or two)? Would I be better with a lower tuning and a capo?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagamah View Post
I use Augustine Black Label strings, (=regular trebles with low tension basses), and tunings of standard, drop-D and open-G. The strings seem to settle down very quickly between tunings but I now want to play Koyunbaba which requires C# minor tuning, (C# G# C# G# C# E), and I am a bit concerned that this may be a stretch too far for some of the strings.

What do you think? Is this likely to snap a string, (or two)? Would I be better with a lower tuning and a capo?
String tension expert here. I assume these are nylon strings. They are very stretchy. You can get the low E up to a C. Don't try it. The e can reach A. G can probably reach an octave. Don't try tuning that high On to your question. I'm guessing you are the low E low to C#A down to G#,D down to C#,G up to G#,B up to C#,and leave the E as is. If I'm correct you should be fine. A step or two on two strings should not be a problem, but I would not leave it there for a long period of time.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:

seems like the only string of concern would be the B string (the low E would go down to C#, would it not?). perhaps you can use a different gauge of string to replace the B string. but up a whole step doesn't seem too crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
String tension expert here.
all that research is paying off now.

Last edited by mc1; 01-15-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the strings are nylon and only a few months old so I'll give it a go. It's possible that down tuning the E string to C# could cause a fret buzz since they are low tension basses and I've lowered the saddle by about 0.5mm.

Last edited by Yagamah; 01-16-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I think perhaps you are misunderstanding the tuning. It is:
6th c#, down minor third
5th g#, down half step
4th c#, down half step
3rd g#, up half step
2nd c#, up whole step
1st e, normal

This will cause no problems.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM

Smile

I'm OK with the tuning but I guess I was slightly unclear about the snapping: I was mainly concerned about the B to C# but was also thinking about the effect on other strings settling in to a lower tuning and then going back up to standard. I don't know how resilient strings are to retuning and whether this weakens them.

Thanks for confirming that it should cause no problems; I've retuned and ... no problems, not a snap or a buzz anywhere.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:28 PM

You will be fine, no worries about strings snapping (unless there is a sharp edge somewhere on the saddle or nut).

When re-stringing one time, I accidentally switched the 5th and 6th strings. Shortly after getting the guitar up to pitch I was wondering why the low E string felt so floppy and why the A string felt so taut. (D'OH!) So the 6th string in the 5th string position was tuned up a fouth higher than it should be.....there was no snappage......only a feeling of embarrassment when I realized my mistake!

Last edited by riffmeister; 01-16-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Yep! It seems just fine and has settled down quickly. It's a really interesting tuning to play in.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:08 PM

This made my day. Love when there is a question like this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical