The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM

Default How to make strumming more interesting?

I've been playing for just over a year and have my chords down and can strum / sing but it's kind of boring. I've posted a few songs over in the Show & Tell section and a comment that I commonly get (and I completely agree with) is that simple strumming is boring and monotonous.

What are some good resources for learning to spice things up? I'm interested in playing around the campfire, for friends and maybe an open mic night but always solo. I'm not looking to be a lead guitarist in a band, just make my simple playing more interesting.

I've been playing around with walking bass lines, arpegios, and learning different voicings of common chords to add interest. I've started adding them in but need to learn more.

I've been self taught so far and that's worked but I'm wondering if I need an instructor. I may be beyond the "here's a chord. practice until you get it." and into musicality, which may be hard to learn from the internet.

Suggestions?
Old 01-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I've been playing for just over a year and have my chords down and can strum / sing but it's kind of boring. I've posted a few songs over in the Show & Tell section and a comment that I commonly get (and I completely agree with) is that simple strumming is boring and monotonous.

Suggestions?
There's a lot more to strumming than simple up/down. Watch some YouTube lessons on songs you know and you'll see that a different strum pattern can really liven up a song. And you're on the right track with some passing notes when moving between chords.

IMO (and I'm primarily a strummer also) strumming is never going to sound as cool as fingerpicking but it doesn't have to be boring.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 AM

It sounds as though you're asking for a mechanical means to escape boredom here...I can't offer much help, in that regard, since I'm a self-taught strummer, too. However, I can say that it sounds like it's time for you to practice something different, like Travis picking...you answered your own questions, when you mentioned arpeggios and bass runs, too.

Also, if you are singing while playing, a good way to escape boredom is to change how you sing the songs you do...do you try to play covers, as though you are channeling the artist, or do you mix it up, and change the flavor of the song? Try some of that--you may find whole new avenues, by just expressing songs in different ways...after all, even the original artists often sing their own songs, in different ways/moods/keys/arrangements...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I've been self taught so far and that's worked but I'm wondering if I need an instructor. I may be beyond the "here's a chord. practice until you get it." and into musicality, which may be hard to learn from the internet.

Suggestions?
I don't think you're looking in the right places on the net. Try a complete course like Justinguitar. All free, one of the best on the net IMO

There's a wealth of strumming patterns, but pretty much anything CAN be played with just a few, given tempo and rhythm changes, and yes, that can get boring.

Find songs you want to play and look up acoustic versions, there'll be plenty that do different strumming patterns to them, sometimes depending on the sort of tempo you prefer to play them at.

Get to know some very common patterns and make up your own strumming to favourite songs on the fly, again depending on a tempo that suits your, or your vocals. Nothing more musical than making a song your own...

EDIT listening to your SC channel, you've already got a good handle on a variety of strumming, and that could be the boredom. Maybe time to take on finger style, that will also help you arpegio chords easier, and add a heap of variety to stuff you can already play. Again, Justinguitar has a beginners FS course.

Last edited by Drubbing; 01-09-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 AM

One fun thing to get into is hammer ons. They can sound really cool when used during strumming.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
I don't think you're looking in the right places on the net. Try a complete course like Justinguitar. All free, one of the best on the net IMO

There's a wealth of strumming patterns, but pretty much anything CAN be played with just a few, given tempo and rhythm changes, and yes, that can get boring.

Find songs you want to play and look up acoustic versions, there'll be plenty that do different strumming patterns to them, sometimes depending on the sort of tempo you prefer to play them at.

Get to know some very common patterns and make up your own strumming to favourite songs on the fly, again depending on a tempo that suits your, or your vocals. Nothing more musical than making a song your own...

EDIT listening to your SC channel, you've already got a good handle on a variety of strumming, and that could be the boredom. Maybe time to take on finger style, that will also help you arpegio chords easier, and add a heap of variety to stuff you can already play. Again, Justinguitar has a beginners FS course.
Great resource. Agree that you could get a lot out of that to advance your playing.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
Also, if you are singing while playing, a good way to escape boredom is to change how you sing the songs you do...do you try to play covers, as though you are channeling the artist, or do you mix it up, and change the flavor of the song? Try some of that--you may find whole new avenues, by just expressing songs in different ways...after all, even the original artists often sing their own songs, in different ways/moods/keys/arrangements...
I want to second this.
I too am a self-taught strummer who is looking to add to my repertoire. I play in my band at church, do open mics, play with some people now and then.
I see that you've done Angel from Montgomery. I play/sing this song a lot, but I do it in the style of Susan Tedeschi, and in my opinion, NOBODY has done the song better than she - sorry Bonnie.
Checking out this video might give you a way to add some spice to the song, if only from a vocal standpoint. This woman's voice, with that touch of rasp, and the way she's able to effortlessly throw it around, makes me weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlcP3FOTM0U

Martin Custom MMV
Taylor GS Mini
Paul Reed Smith CE24
Ibanez Performance PF-40
Ibanez Mandolin Electrified!
Lanikai Uke
Hagstrom Swede
Peavey Reactor

Last edited by Strayslack; 01-09-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Apparently I don't know how to embed youtube vids
Old 01-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

You might want to take a look at Vicki Genfan's site…http://vickigenfan.com. She's one of the most rhythmic guitarists I've ever seen and she has an instructional video out about the "30 Strumming Patterns Every Guitarist Should Know" or something like that. There are several you tube videos to give you examples of what that video includes. So, you can get a pretty good idea before you even spend any money. Her rhythm is outstanding and she teaches well. Might give you some ideas...
Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Time to move up to fingerstyle. Check out the many YouTube videos on "Travis Picking".
Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Just under 2 years here myself.
I would never describe any of it as "boring".
But I know what you mean. A big influence for me is Neil Young.
I watch his videos and it often appears as if he is constantly strumming, yet you can hear individual notes ringing out.
Drives me nuts trying but he has a few years of practice on me.
I purchased the "Flatpicking Essentials" book and it has a lot of what you are seeking.
I also mostly try only new songs that have distinct picking as part of the song.
Wish you were here
My my hey hey
Have you ever seen the rain
The one I love...
Etc.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:10 AM

If you are sticking to Rhythm (singing and strumming), you may want to look at Rhythm Guitar 365. It'll break up your strumming by giving you a daily exercise.

Otherwise, I saw a vid from a guitar magazine that said you should 'invent' a new groove every day. Some things to do are vary your strumming, vary how many strings you pick. Add different chord voicings (D, Dsus4, Dsus2 is a simple example) within the strumming. Also try adding some string muting within the beats, maybe a few slaps to the guitar top.

Basically, just make a new groove every day. It'll become second nature and you'll have a lot of strumming patterns. Also, don't underestimate a really good set of vocals to carry the song. A simple song with a great voice is nice.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Just found this link on Facebook: http://lnk.nu/guitarworld.com/1d7s4. A good exercise for anyone looking for more accuracy and interest in strummed lines. There's also a ton of instruction on YouTube. As Greg Koch says, with all the free resources online, there's no excuse to suck any more.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the good tips! This gives me a lot to digest.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:

What are some good resources for learning to spice things up? I'm interested in playing around the campfire, for friends and maybe an open mic night but always solo. I'm not looking to be a lead guitarist in a band, just make my simple playing more interesting.

I've been playing around with walking bass lines, arpegios, and learning different voicings of common chords to add interest. I've started adding them in but need to learn more.

Suggestions?
Try drum rudiments instead of Left Right do Up Down
Old 01-09-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Suggestions?
I am in the same boat as you. Trying to spice up my strumming.
Anyways, found a decent video in regards to hammer-on's while playing chords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUL6QouTa38

Cheers.
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion