The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Starting classical at 40

Hi all,

I need some honest advice, not necessarily encouragement or compliments.

I've played guitar since I was 11, three years of lessons before switching to bass, which i played until I was 22. Since then, I've tried gypsy jazz, jazz, bluegrass, banjo, and mandolin. I love playing fingerstyle and DADGAD, but I'm not very smooth nor do I have an outstanding repertoire.

My wife recommended classical guitar, but I'm worried that a. my hands are too small b. I'm too old and set in my ways 3. I don't read music very well.

Is this a fool's errand or should I give it a shot? What can I expect out of lessons at my age?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 PM

the only way you can gurantee not being good is not trying...beyond that it's like anything else...you have some raw talent...hopefully it lends itself towards this type of music...after that it's just practice, practice, practice...and like darts you wind up somewhere on the board.

i can tell u this though coming from regular steel i found myself more comfortable transitioning to classical style guitar with a 'hybrid'. in my case i got the Cordoba GK Studio Negra http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/gk-studio-negra. these hybrids will help with the transition of neck width (if you plan on going full in and getting classical guitar that is).
Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Nothing worse than not trying. I never even tried to play guitar till I was 40. Inherited a $39 classical from my son, who went electric after 3 months. Tried to learn on my own... didn't take. Took lessons and for a good while I did OK. Played in an ensemble for nearly 25 years. Now I build classical guitars. It's been good. I say go for it.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
Hi all,

I've played guitar since I was 11, three years of lessons before switching to bass, which i played until I was 22. Since then, I've tried gypsy jazz, jazz, bluegrass, banjo, and mandolin. I love playing fingerstyle and DADGAD, but I'm not very smooth nor do I have an outstanding repertoire.

My wife recommended classical guitar, but I'm worried that a. my hands are too small b. I'm too old and set in my ways 3. I don't read music very well.

Is this a fool's errand or should I give it a shot? What can I expect out of lessons at my age?

Thanks.
If you like classical guitar, do it! Only good can come of it.

I'm a wretched classical player, but I like it, and that's all that matters.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM

The question you need to answer is, why do you want to play the classical guitar? Answer that question then set realistic goals.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:59 AM

I have large hands, but know people with child size hands who play classical much better. A good teacher will use exercises that can break habits not conducive to proper classical technique. Lessons are cheap, and one or two will give you an idea of what to expect.

Reading music can be learned quickly enough. Beginning classical exercises and short tunes are not all that difficult in terms of reading music. You'll mostly be working on timing, right and left hand technique, posture, etc. Your ability to read music will likely progress faster than the other aspects mentioned in the previous sentence.

It's certainly not too late to start playing classical music. You might find that you like the repertoire, or you might just improve your fingerstyle skills. Improving fingerstyle skills will add a new dimension to musical genres that you've already tried.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Garth,

Age should never be a factor in this question....period.

The real issue is: do you, at any time in your life, want to be challenged to move to the next level of guitar playing?????

I say go for it - your overall playing will only get better.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 AM

I started playing a steel string dreadnaught guitar when I 40. I suck at rhythm, the guitar body was too large for me, and I don't know any rock and roll songs, so migrated to playing classical on the steel string (which doesn't sound that great), then fully switched to a nylon guitar, which is much more comfortable, and the sound is much more balanced to my ear.

Don't be scared of the wider fretboard - the wider string spacing makes things easier, not harder.

The longer stretches (eg. from fret 2 to fret 6 like what I'm currently learning with Recuerdos de la Alhambra) takes time to develop flexibility and strength in your left hand.

Ultimately the type of music that draws you in will decide what type of guitar you play and what style you play.

I will say, however, that at the age of 44, learning and mastering new techniques is a very slow process.

Get a good teacher for some initial lessons, so that you learn to hold your right and left hands in the correct position and don't develop bad habits that need to be unlearned later.

ps. I can read standard notation really slowly, but good quality TAB is available for most music if you choose to use TAB like I do.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
a. they're probably not too small.

b. that's just a matter of being patient with yourself.

c. you'll get better at that.

Give it a shot.

A quote from Ted Greene: "Nobody loses at guitar if they put in the time. Something good always shows up. It's all consistent with life's big lessons. Patience. Determination. Love. Goals. Finishing a job."
Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

If you think you would like playing classical guitar music then it's never too late. If your primary musical interests lie elsewhere then it is probably best not to bother.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 PM

I started guitar at 43 after many years on trumpet and piano. I started on steel string, playing mainly finger style, but shortly thereafter added classical. I have small hands and have lost some flexibility due to some age related arthritis. I took a couple of years worth of lessons to get me started.

When I started years ago there were not really many "hybrid"guitars available. I ended up getting in on a run of a half dozen Spanish guitars made by Manuel Adalid with 640mm scale and 48 mm nut. Now if I find pieces with difficult reaches, I just capo as needed to reduce the scale.

Ability to read music is definitely a plus, but nowadays there are many classical books published including tab with the standard notation. The Classical Clef website has literally thousands of arrangements in notation and tab which are downloadable/printable for free. www.classicalclef.com

I really mix things up on the guitars I have. I am purely an instrumental guy, but I play rock, jazz, classical, sacred and will use steel string or nylon as fits my whim.

I would absolutely encourage you to give it a try.

Jon
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 PM

It can be lots of fun. My instructor brought me to the classical world a few months ago. All I had was steel strings but when I bought a nylon crossover, (Cordoba Fusion 12) things really picked up for me. Not as much pressure required made some stretches easier and the sound was much nicer. After reading a few posts here about Latin music, ( samba, bosa nova, etc) the nylon fit right in and opened up another world for me. If you can afford it, check out a few nylon guitars. My teacher has the Martin 000-ce nylon with a hybrid style neck and that is what brought me to the Cordoba Fusion line. Never too late to start.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Hey Garth, 40 years of age is no reason to forego classical lessons. Find a good teacher in your area and ask him/her about guide and pivot fingers to help make your playing smoother. Then work on some right finger/left finger coordination exercises, add in some left hand shifting & legato studies and you'll be as smooth as butter in no time (assuming you do the daily practice required).
Good luck with your quest!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:54 AM

I you like classical music then absolutely, it is very rewarding.

I started playing classical about 3 years ago having played only electric (rock/metal/progressive) for +15 years. I didn't really have much right hand technique as I was used to a pick. Slowly but surely I've developed it and now I'm able to play fairly hard pieces. I had been in a rut for a long time and it pulled me right out of it, now my electric chops have doubled as a side effect.

And I am a small handed person too, and I'm also a poor sight reader.

My assorted assembly of aural "art"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical