The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
Status is but one reason. Never said it was the only one.

Why does a reason one person does something, mean someone who doesn't has the opposite reason? That is hard to imagine
Sorry I was just commenting on your comment. I used the words suppose and may so as not to offend.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
And people do that on this forum. Everyone can offer whatever reasons they like about the listing of guitars in sigs, but a lot of people do this for forum status.
You almost sound as if you don't believe the multitude of reasons other people give for listing their guitars. Hope that's not the case. I'd say the vast majority have nothing to do with "status.". And to prove that it were about status for anyone, you'd definitely need more than a list....you'd need them saying something like, "Look at my signature. I have arrived."
Old 01-28-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Most of the imports will get you 70-80% of what domestic brands do. If and when you need that last 20-30% is when you appreciate what the domestic makers can really do. As you play more guitars, what is a subtle difference now may seem a stark difference as your experience expands.
... and that is a scientifically measured difference, eh? Not to be contentious, but where is the world do you come up with these numbers? My Eastman E10D is every bit the equal of a Martin D-18GE (Adi)... in a blindfold test with same strings, you would not be able to tell the difference.

That said, I love Martin guitars... I am hankerin' for a D-18VS... really love that 12-fret tone.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
Oooops...Recording King. Haven't played them. I'd love to find a well-stocked dealer close by.

Aren't Recording Kings and Blueridge both made by Samick? Does anyone know if Samick makes other well-known Asian brands?

P
I don't know which factory makes Recording King, but I do know that Samick does not make Blueridge. The factory name is Grand Reward and they make the Guild GAD series also, as well as their own line, Farida.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 01-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Asia is VERY big and diverse ... don't think this can easily be generalized. Many Japanese manufactured guitars exceed quality of North American counterparts, but variability and uncertainty is probably much larger for Chinese makers. Don't know about Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and other countries that have guitar factories ...
Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
I'm really interested in expanding your view. If you take two guitars, both made of the same materials. One made in Japan, and the other made in the United States, you feel there is a tonal difference ?
Not being sarcastic at all, I'm just curious if that is your opinion, and if you might have a reason.

Dan
I don't have a frame of reference to make more than an educated guess on this issue, as I have only played one nice made in Japan guitar. It was a Yairi classical, and was very, very good. If I could talk the owner out of it, I would have it in my house.

I think there would be a tonal difference - you would be able to tell the difference between the two guitars - because they are different guitars built by different people - but I don't think that you could predict which one would be "nicer" or "feel better" or "sound better".
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce View Post
Well since you're comparing cheaper guitars to more expensive ones, why don't you try a Michihiro Matsuda next to your Martin and Taylor and get back to us about tone and playability.
sure, I'd love to. I'll play anything. Never had a chance to play such a thing, though, so why don't you tell me where I could find one to play, and I'll get back to you!

edit:
Okay, I looked that guy up. I'm not sure what you're getting at here - Matsuda is a custom guitar maker who lives in Oakland. If you're bringing him up because he was born in Japan, well, ooookay, I guess. So was my sister-in-law and my niece and nephew. Of course, they live in Seattle and don't build guitars anywhere.

If I wanted to buy one of his guitars, it would be 1.5 years before he started it, according to his website. So obviously, he's doing a good enough job that people are keeping him quite busy! Good for him. I still don't see how this is germane to my upgrading my guitars to my Taylor and Martin. Because his stuff is an order of magnitude more expensive than my babies? *shrug* There are any number of luthiers building custom guitars in the U.S. Their stuff should be awesome. And? There are expert luthiers working in other countries, too. I would expect their stuff to be awesome, too.

Additional thoughts:
And I expect that if I'd come across an L36 or something, I'd have liked it better than the L16 I did play, which was a little better than the FG700 I had. But I was quite enamored of the Taylors and Martins I played, and not so much with the L16. I was glad to get to play it, though. I never did get the chance to try out a pro-grade Takamine. Maybe I'd have bought one of those. I already had two G-series.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr

Last edited by broken thumb; 01-28-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I don't know which factory makes Recording King, but I do know that Samick does not make Blueridge. The factory name is Grand Reward and they make the Guild GAD series also, as well as their own line, Farida.
Recording King is made by a company called AXL in Shanghai. They are affiliated with The Music Link, a company based in Hayward, California that markets RK, the Loar and others. There is an AXL warehouse in Hayward.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM

My guitar is made in Beijing and come to think of it so is most of the stuff on my desktop including DAW hardware is made in 'Asia', I'm a happy global consumer.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
My guitar is made in Beijing and come to think of it so is most of the stuff on my desktop including DAW hardware is made in 'Asia', I'm a happy global consumer.
That's what always gets me about these "Asian guitar" or "Chinese guitar" threads--the self-righteous, "Made in America" posters, or the bleeding hearts who deplore the working conditions in Asia, are typing their responses on computers made almost entirely in China. But that's okay somehow...
Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM

Remember guys that for a few years the only decent Stratocasters being made came out of Japan. The USA stuff from the late seventies and early eighties was iffy at best. A lot of junk came out of Fender and Gibson, for that matter it wasn't Martins high point either. I have tons of gear, way too much and my asian stuff is a joy to play electric or acoustic. Given the right pricing pac rim manufacturers are the equal of the USA. If and when people will be willing to drop $3k or more on an asian acoustic you will see stuff that will blow your minds for sure. It's just a matter of time. Until then you still have to buy the best of the USA manufacturers or high end independent luthier pieces to get that little bit extra. I'd love to try one of those Yamaha LL36 models to see how they stack up, maybe they are already on a par but I can't find one to test drive in the bay area. They have been making stringed instruments over there for thousands of years so it isn't a lack of craftsmanship. I have many asian employees and let me tell you there isn't one of them that isn't smart as heck and full of pride. Many of us in this country could take a lesson or two on taking pride in what we do each day for a living from them.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:03 PM

My take on this:

1. should Asian made guitars "only" be considered knock-offs of, say, Martin guitars and 2. aren't all modern guitars basically copies of Martin guitars somewhere along the line?

In my opinion, yes and yes. Not necessarily copies of "Martin" guitars, but certainly copies of design(s) not significantly advanced since Martin started building guitars. For what it's worth, I also consider my son's student violin a copy of a Stradivarius.

...is the real draw of Asian produced guitars the fact that you get a Martin "like" sound and very good build quality for less expense? Or, do players really desire Asian made guitars and would purchase them without regard to price?

When I have bought any guitar over the past 40 years, I bought the best guitar I could afford. Until very recently, that limited my selection to Asian guitars available locally. And without a doubt I've owned some fine Asian guitars, among them a couple Alvarez-Yairi's, an Ibanez, a Takamine, an Aspen and several I can't remember.

The advent of the internet has changed the supply/demand equation - I'm no longer stuck shopping locally. There are many terrific deals on the internet if you know what to look for and shop carefully. I've found that my best value for the buck is in used American-made guitars. Again, my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Roger

1969 Gibson J50
1975 Mossman Great Plains
1976 Guild G37 Blonde
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY68 12-string
1997 Martin D16T
Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 PM

Wow! Still hasn't been closed.

Things have gotten a little testy at times but we're still in business.

For what it's worth, I have a cousin who is now an adjunct instructor at the United States Naval Academy (USNA) who used to live in Hong Kong. Her husband, who defected (?) from China in the 1970s, is a full-time professor at the USNA. They both have assured me that China no longer has slave labor and, while the average laborer may not make what laborers in the USA make, they are doing much better than they were even 10 years ago. She reminded me that China has become quite an aggressive consumer of not only American automobiles and, by default, petroleum products but also all of the other goods that we are used to here. Things change and we need to stay abreast of those changing economic conditions.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
If you deplore the working conditions in Asia you are a bleeding heart?!!!!
This topic often veers into this territory. Unless all those with hard opinions have been to various nations and factories and seen living and working conditions, which probably vary widely - from very good to poor - then it's a generalised opinion, often more xenophobic in nature.

All western nations have issues with working poor, illegal immigrants being exploited by employers, and substandard workplaces. The failure of all such govts to address this, has no moral high ground over policy elsewhere, that allows the same to occur.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
That's what always gets me about these "Asian guitar" or "Chinese guitar" threads--the self-righteous, "Made in America" posters, or the bleeding hearts who deplore the working conditions in Asia, are typing their responses on computers made almost entirely in China. But that's okay somehow...
i don't think a lot of us mean to upset you. For some it's just about choice. ps. There are no alternatives to Asian computers.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

Last edited by Gasworker; 01-29-2015 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Edit for sarcasm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion