The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 AM

I had one come to visit recently. I don't really have a lot of experience with the new models, but we had a couple of old ones present -- 1935 and 1939. The D-28A was a really great guitar -- strong, full, responsive with a full roaring RW midrange -- excellent. At the same time, it was no prewar -- it was a great demo of how really good the old guitars are after 80 years. And it is impossible to separate out the effects of age from other elements.

I know this won't happen, but I would love to hear a D-28A in 78 years. For now, I'll have to make do with the old ones.

Let's pick,

-Tom
Old 01-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm still having a tough decision if i should get rid of my D42 for the D28 A. I love the bling but i wonder if the tone is that much better with the D28. Unfortunately I can't play one.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I think the Authentic series guitars are quite a bit lighter built guitars that are more responsive and powerful than the 40 series instruments. Santa Cruz guitars are IMO on the same level as the Authentic Series Martins just to get a Cruz with the same woods they typically will be quite a bit more expensive. A Torrefied top D/PW with Madagascar rosewood would set you back close to $10k now adays. Some of the other boutique builders I'm not as impressed with but H&D, Santa Cruz, Goodall, and Froggy Bottom build some top notch guitars that hang well with the new Authentic series Martin stuff.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 PM

Default Martin D28 Authentic 1937

I have a D28 1937 Authentic... The difference IMHO is the response, the tone and the quality of construction. I love that I can play above the 7th fret on the E & B strings and single notes sound big, fat and round, not thin and weak. An open G chord rings out like a symphony.

I'm still getting use to the 1 3/4 nut width. Since everything these days for me is about tone, I've got no complaints

Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
Martin D-28 Clarence White
Old 02-25-2015, 01:49 PM

I am a huge 42/45 fan, owed a few and to me they voice differently than the 28's, based on years of daily playing. I have a 2005 OM-45 TB that today would MSRP around $20K comparably appointed, I love the guitar.

That being said I also have an OM-18A, different woods, 1/3 the price, but the immediate differences are weight and responsiveness. You can't discount build, and the Authentics are so much lighter braced than any other Martin models, among the other changes (hide glue, thinner tops and finishes, etc.), that it almost isn't fair.

So yes, Martin 42/45's are fantastic guitars, but the Authentics are fantastic-er in this lifetime Martin owners opinion.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM

hows it authentic if the biggest thing about the guitar isnt the same?

its not brazilian rosewood.

72 000-18
Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 PM

Brazilian isn't always necessarily always better.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStep2000 View Post
hows it authentic if the biggest thing about the guitar isnt the same?

its not brazilian rosewood.
IMO Martin's marketing people are using the term 'Authentic' more the name of a line of guitars, and less as an accurate adjective.
Maybe they should have called them "Reissues".
A true 'authentic' D-28 (that was actually made in 1937) will set you back 6 figures. ... plus the 'authentic' 1937 price would be a couple hundred bucks.

Martin has very few sets of legal CITES Brazilian RW left.
If they used it on these "Authentic" guitars they'd be price tens of thousands of dollars ... and I would not be playing one right now.

I bought a D-28 37 Auth VTS a couple months ago.

Martin's blog says their stash of Madagascar Rosewood stash will be gone in a few years ... and there is no legal Madi on the horizon.
Mad RW will go the way of Brazilian RW.
IMO, after all the upgrades to a standard D-28 that are included on the Authentic, the $5,200 street price for these Authentics is a steal compare to the competition.
I think they'll hold their value, perhaps appreciate, when the Mad RW is gone.

Last edited by Tico; 08-16-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Brazillian RW would put the guitars beyond attainable for most people and then you might as well find a real 1930s D28 ... not to mention the lower impact back and sides have on tone, compared to the top .... which is now the baked Adirondack spruce to get it as close as possible as old spruce. BUT, my guess is the magic is in the construction and light build, the craftsmanship where all the details add up to something closer to the real deal. Brazillian RW is just one ingredient in that recipe, and it can be mostly substituted.

I think you need to play them to gauge its value to you, where you can take the tone plus the bling into account. I moved from a SCGC Tony Rice (another D28 re-envision) to a D28A '37, and they each have unique benefits over the other. Not sure which one I like better, but the SC narrower nut I def did not like, though the neck was heaven compared to the beefier '37 Martin.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 AM

I agree that all the key factors in the build process like hide glue, hand built, VTS etc. play a key roll to get the sound as close to the real deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion