The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Default Christopher parkening

Came accross his guitar method book on amazon
Can any of you guys vouch for the quality of his method.
Would it be a complement Fredrick Noad book or is it an upscale/downscale method.

Thanks
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 PM

Default Christopher parkening

My classical teacher had the Parkening method books in his shop, I asked about it but he steered me clear of it, and we used the Shearer books.

Might have been nothing more than personal preference.

Saw Parkening in concert in my town once, he was great!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 PM

i have a bunch of instructional books, including the noad, parkening, and shearer. i'm too lazy to dig them out and look at them, but my recollection is that the parkening book isn't so good. the noad and shearer books are preferred.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM

The Parkening method books 1 and 2 aver very good. No substitute for a real teacher, but they are good books to have on the shelf. I like the intermediate pieces in book 2 quite a lot and still play several of them.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
The Parkening method books 1 and 2 aver very good. No substitute for a real teacher, but they are good books to have on the shelf. I like the intermediate pieces in book 2 quite a lot and still play several of them.
is that a comment more on the pieces or the explanatory text?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
is that a comment more on the pieces or the explanatory text?
Book 1 has more "instruction" in it and is meant more for the beginner. Book 2 has instruction commentary, too, but assumes an intermediate level of technical proficiency and focuses more on repertoire from different periods.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i have a bunch of instructional books, including the noad, parkening, and shearer. i'm too lazy to dig them out and look at them, but my recollection is that the parkening book isn't so good. the noad and shearer books are preferred.
My experience exactly...

Martin D-18, OM-18GE, 000-18GE 12-Fret
Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS
Santa Cruz 1929-00
Nash T-52
Fender Mustang Bass, P Bass, J Bass
Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Thanks, will stick with Noad's book, and look foward to volume 2.
Was getting thru the exercises at a smoothly pace until i hit spanish study, i know it by heart but slowly getting my fingers to move at the same speed as the cd., roughly about 1/2 way there.
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 AM

I use the Noad book and was experiencing no problems until about 1/2 way through. Just before the chapter on the 5th position. I was then advised that Noad is good but tended to take one through the basics too quickly and didn't really establish the solid base on which to form the more complicated stuff that followed. I also took some lessons at that point and found that there were some fundamental mistakes I was making in position. In short, there is no substitute for a good teacher.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 AM

I know there is nothing like having a good teacher, but having one is difficult since i decided when i was young to be self employed, and because of that i did not get time to pick up a guitar until i was 51. Now the the only free time i force myself to practise is usually after 10pm.
So i accepted i wont be doing world tours, am pretty contented with what i have self taught my self so far, an most of all i have been having a blast since.
But i do need some assistance on my journey.
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
I know there is nothing like having a good teacher, but having one is difficult since i decided when i was young to be self employed, and because of that i did not get time to pick up a guitar until i was 51. Now the the only free time i force myself to practise is usually after 10pm.
So i accepted i wont be doing world tours, am pretty contented with what i have self taught my self so far, an most of all i have been having a blast since.
But i do need some assistance on my journey.
For all the reasons outlined in the quote above I'll add my voice to the chorus recommending Shearer and Noad: Parkening, not so much.
He burned out his right hand and had to bail on concerts. That's never a good sign. Shearer's "Classic Guitar Technique, Volume I" is still the benchmark for launching a study of classical guitar technique. Shearer's later pedagogical thrust regarding the importance of "sympathetic motion" is also indispensable to the development of controlled and minimized tension, particularly in the right hand.
Here's wishing you, "All the Best" on your journey.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Parkening, not so much.
He burned out his right hand and had to bail on concerts. That's never a good sign....
That's surprising, can you help me substantiate, please? I found some online references to Parkening "burning out " emotionally due to so many concerts (decades ago) and that one time he completely filed down his nails (in disgust, or something), but nowhere that he "he burned out his right hand". Link, anyone?
tia
Old 01-29-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
He burned out his right hand and had to bail on concerts. That's never a good sign.
No. In his own words, http://parkening.com/personal/
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 AM

I was greatly inspired by Christopher's Books and expressive recordings and not so much by the person he considers to be the greatest guitar player.

I started learning classical guitar by using Parkening's book and it got me going in the right direction. I think it is the reason my technique has not needed any major adjustments as I went from self-learning to having lessons from a teacher.

You can find more comprehensive instruction from other books--such as Noad--but there is nothing wrong with Parkenings book. In fact, I feel it is a good place to begin. The comprehensive books have so much material and thus can be intimidating. They can make the journey seem so long.
It is good to have the feeling of accomplishment by working through a shorter instructional book and then moving on.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
No. In his own words, http://parkening.com/personal/
i'm not really sure what that gushy bit of prosthelytizing had to do with this thread, but here he mentions retiring due to back problems:

http://parkening.com/2012/07/parkeni...concert-stage/

“Some of you know that for these past few years I have had some physical issues resulting in numerous back surgeries. At this point in my life, I would like to focus more on my family and on my commitment to teaching my students at Pepperdine University and in master classes throughout the country, sharing my insights and experiences—both musical and personal—as I mentor young artists."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical