The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Starting again

Hi everyone.
I joined the forum awhile back when I first started to learn guitar. I didn't get far before an injury forced me to give it up. Now years later and a few other injures I am going to try to learn again. One of the injuries was to my picking hand and it is very painful to hold a pick, so I am wanting to learn fingerpicking, it is easier on my hand. I didn't get very far the first time I started, so I will have to start from the beginning. Looking for advice on the best way to go about learning. It will have to be a book or DVD. Living in the country, my my internet isn't so good, and there isn't any local teachers close by. I see Mark Hanson's books mentioned a lot here, but would his book be good for someone just starting? Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks,
David
Old 10-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Try:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...archid=7057012

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-16-2017, 01:23 PM

I learned fingerstyle by starting with Justin Sandercoe on youtube. He's got several lessons that got me started. Take a look here:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/FO-000-Folk.php

Last edited by multimutts; 10-16-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I've been using Toby Walker's ''Look Ma I'm Fingerpicking'' lessons since June. Finger picking is a big challenge and I work on it every day. I can now play 5 out of the 7 songs in this lesson and I started another today. I also started Toby's Blues Foundation Lessons. Toby's lesson's are available on DVD.

Take a look at the ''Toby Walker Lesson Thread'' above of below. You can see how it's been going for me and see how others have used us lessons

It's quite a challenge but very rewarding. My friends say it sounds like my music is coming from the radio.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
Hi everyone.
I joined the forum awhile back when I first started to learn guitar. I didn't get far before an injury forced me to give it up. Now years later and a few other injures I am going to try to learn again. One of the injuries was to my picking hand and it is very painful to hold a pick, so I am wanting to learn fingerpicking, it is easier on my hand. I didn't get very far the first time I started, so I will have to start from the beginning. Looking for advice on the best way to go about learning. It will have to be a book or DVD. Living in the country, my my internet isn't so good, and there isn't any local teachers close by. I see Mark Hanson's books mentioned a lot here, but would his book be good for someone just starting? Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks,
David
Mark Hanson's Contemporary Travis Picking is a great (and proven) path for new fingerstylists.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:04 PM

Default Starting again

Thanks, I'll look into Mark Hanson's Contemporary Travis Picking
Old 10-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
Thanks, I'll look into Mark Hanson's Contemporary Travis Picking
Good choice, db. It worked for me. There are a lot more videos out there than books it seems, and I'm an old guy who learns better from books!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write