The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2017, 09:15 PM

Glad to hear it worked out. We all give advice based on what has worked for us. Funny to me that people advocate certain UST's that minimize (but can't eliminate) the shortfalls inherent to the design; but can't/won't acknowledge that SBT's are not subject at all to the shortfalls inherent to the UST design....
Old 11-25-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Glad to hear it worked out. We all give advice based on what has worked for us. Funny to me that people advocate certain UST's that minimize (but can't eliminate) the shortfalls inherent to the design; but can't/won't acknowledge that SBT's are not subject at all to the shortfalls inherent to the UST design....
Every design has its inherent strengths and weaknesses. SBTs can offer a sound free of the artifacts of a UST but they are also less stable. Mags lack the harshness of many USTs but lack the acoustic timbre a piezo can capture. Everyone has to prioritize the tone to utility ratio that’s appropriate for their performances.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Every design has its inherent strengths and weaknesses. SBTs can offer a sound free of the artifacts of a UST but they are also less stable. Mags lack the harshness of many USTs but lack the acoustic timbre a piezo can capture. Everyone has to prioritize the tone to utility ratio that’s appropriate for their performances.
+1...very well stated and this has been my experience from years as a pro musician with gear over the years.

*The red highlighted statement from Erik should be posted forever on this sub-forum. It is what I've tried to explain in many posts about this subject but never have as well as Erik just did > EXCELLENT ERIK!

I use the Cooltube peizo system in MIJ Taks that work well for what I do and I also enjoy the M80 mag in my D18 because I did not want to alter it with an SBT or UST...here's a clip from last nite's performance with it:

Old 11-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
+1...very well stated and this has been my experience from years as a pro musician with gear over the years.

*The red highlighted statement from Erik should be posted forever on this sub-forum. It is what I've tried to explain in many posts about this subject but never have as well as Erik just did > EXCELLENT ERIK!

I use the Cooltube peizo system in MIJ Taks that work well for what I do and I also enjoy the M80 mag in my D18 because I did not want to alter it with an SBT or UST...here's a clip from last nite's performance with it:

Agree with the last 3 posts. Well put all!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Agree with the last 3 posts. Well put all!
Thank you. I always encourage players to realize that pickup quality is subjective and is related to the player's needs more than some universal "x pick-up is bad!"

Each pickup has its strengths and weaknesses but when installed in a guitar properly and used to its strengths, they often sound rather good. I've heard players who have used a Fishman Matrix to great effect and others who it has clearly not been the right choice for. I've heard people use K&K and have it sound great while it hasn't worked as well for other players I've heard. If one pickup was the end all be all, we wouldn't still be using old designs like the Sunrise or the LB6, which still provide very toneful solutions for many players but wouldn't be preferred by everyone. Every guitarist's style and guitar need to be taken into account when selecting a pickup, along with proper EQ and gain mgmt.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
UPDATE - tech called. Apparently the dude who did my fretwork and lowered my action did a hammed up job. A badly installed shim was causing the problem.

Sweet! Thanks for the info, though. I'm sure I'll put it to good use soon enough.
Great news! Glad it worked out for you-and take the 'fretwork dude' off the list of people that get to work on your guitars!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:05 PM

I have been thru the holy grail search and
have yet to find anything that sounds as good
As a condensor mic. Currently I am using a mag
Pickup. A sunrise. In my Martin. It sounds good
But has that mag pup electric twinge to it.
We all have to compromise a bit when choosing
A pup for acoustic guitar. None of them will sound
Just like your guitar unplugged only louder.
Don't let anyone tell you different. They all
can come close with eq and a little verb.
But a good mic can't be beat if that is what
You want, you give up some freedom of movement .
A mic doesn't work good in large noisy venues.
Which is why we use pickups.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I have been thru the holy grail search and
have yet to find anything that sounds as good
As a condensor mic. Currently I am using a mag
Pickup. A sunrise. In my Martin. It sounds good
But has that mag pup electric twinge to it.
We all have to compromise a bit when choosing
A pup for acoustic guitar. None of them will sound
Just like your guitar unplugged only louder.
Don't let anyone tell you different. They all
can come close with eq and a little verb.
But a good mic can't be beat if that is what
You want, you give up some freedom of movement .
A mic doesn't work good in large noisy venues.
Which is why we use pickups.
You wrote, "We all have to compromise a bit when choosing a pup for acoustic guitar."

Actually, we don't.

Introduction from DPA, the manufacturer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_bBIgsH2Q

Listing from a vendor: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VO4099G

The DPA VO-4099G is a tiny clip-on guitar pickup that is a studio-quality external condenser mic.
Finally we can get the sound of a studio condenser, on stage, without being handcuffed to a mic stand.

Made in Denmark so it's pricey at $619, but mine has proven to be worth every penny.
To offset the sticker shock there is no installation cost since it just clips on.
Also, you only have to buy one to use on all of your guitars since it takes only a few seconds to move it to another guitar.
With one of DPA's other $35 clips it can be used for many other instruments, even piano and drums.

You can lower feedback and change EQ and level by simply moving it on its tiny gooseneck; you don't have to reach down for the mixer.
You must supply +48v phantom power via the XLR cable.

IMO it's the ideal guitar pickup.
The sound is perfectly natural; I constantly get compliments and guitarists can't believe their ears.
I do use gaffer tape to secure the clip to the guitar's side though.
Without it you have to be careful to not bump the clip, which on stage is not realistic.
That and and the price is the only downside.

Last edited by Tico; 12-01-2017 at 05:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification