The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Default NAD! JBL EON One Pro - Epic FAIL

After my mate ordered a JBL EON One Pro, it showed promise. But his had some weird distortion that was not exhibited by his Bose L1 Compact side-by-side. So Sweetwater replaced it quickly and the second one works great. We loved it. So I took a chance and ordered one for myself so I can use it for my Solo gigs, or we can use a pair for our smaller, quieter band gigs.

It arrived Thursday. I unboxed it and plugged it in to charge the battery and have it ready for my gig on Saturday night. After going to the movies, I returned home and smelled a burning electronic component sort of scent. Thought maybe that was just the initial electronic smell. I unplugged it before going to bed and took it to my gig the next day (Saturday this past weekend)

We used a pair of JBL EON one Pro’s. My band partner used his as the Main on one side of the stage and mine on the other. We set them to LINE input and fed the JBL’s from the Line out L_R from a Mackie DL1608 mixer.

Mine was behind me, Master Vol at Noon, Channel Vol at Noon, Line input level chosen. Mine sounded anemic, thin, nasal and distorted. Horrible. Further more the Power LED Bars kept going from Green scrolling indicating it was charging to RED Blinking indicating the Battery was completely depleted. I was however plugged into AC Power and the unit was on AC mode the whole time. So the battery should have had nothing to do with it working or not.

My partners JBL Eon One Pro sounded fine on the other side of the stage, Mine was horrible and unacceptable. Luckily I brought my BOSE L1 Compact as a back up, So I connected it after two songs on the JBL and the sound came to life, was rich, clear and rewarding.

The Mixer control Panel was stupid HOT to the touch. Not quite burn your band, but seriously Hot.

I wrote to Sweetwater and told them I will be returning it. I don’t want another. I have no confidence in its reliability. If I had not had my Bose as a back up, I would have been totally screwed. And I can’t buy a sound system that forces me to carry a back up ‘just-in-case’.

I wanted to love this. Nothing else offers the size, Portability and potential for great sound. When we used my partners JBL Eon One Pro on a recent gig, it was superb. (When it works).
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-20-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 AM

What a terrible nightmare... It's the third unit reported on this forum with serious technical faults. Good thing it didn't explode or something during the charge! Thanks for letting us know!

Must avoid like the plague
Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 AM

What a bummer. Just curious as to what else you might be considering instead of the One Pro. Have you looked at the Maui 5 Go? I think we may be seeing more and more battery operated portable line arrays in the very near future. I wouldn't be surprised if Bose came out with one, though it would be the most expensive option.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 AM

I have the older version and it sounds great but it has one flaw: You must make sure that the tower column is pushed together very tight. If not, you get bad sound as only the sub is transmitting. I did mention this to Sweetwater and they offered me the opportunity to return it. I decided to keep it as it sounds great when properly connected. I can get it to work fine, being aware of the problem and insuring a tight fit. I wish it had an indicator light that would tell me that the signal is complete.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

What a pain.

I've been thinking recently how the Eon One Pro has dropped off the radar in this forum after so much interest and excitement and epic threads until it finally got delivered, with reports here of the heat issue, the whine-noise that one of our colleagues here experienced, and the failure to address the gain-staging issue of the Eon One. On top of that I haven't been able to find any later reviews elsewhere, maybe other than a couple of online store posts. Nothing in YouTube for example.

It sure sounds like there's some chronic design or production issue.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I would love to give JBL my personal feedback and share the collective and almost unanimous opinion that the EON One Pro has serious issues.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Especially disappointing given JBL has a long history of decent products in the consumer speaker category. I have to wonder, aside from the obvious attempt capitalize on the stick movement, why JBL saw fit to even enter the stick market. It is a speaker system yes but not a system that focuses on JBL's core competency. I don't see the Bose guys being moved very far and the market is already looking swollen. I guess showing how the Bose price point could be beaten with a quality product was a noble motive but not so good if the product is a fail. Seems much smarter and more likely successful to learn to optimize the competency they already have. They could learn how to provide battery power for their speaker line.

I don't see the stick concept in use that much around here but I have to assume the market penetration is pretty big, at least based on the popularity on the AGF. I guess that was just too tempting for JBL to pass up.

hunter
Old 11-20-2017, 03:02 PM

Man that's a bummer Groberts.

You gave it a try.... seems JBL missed the mark on these and at $1499 it's just not worth the gamble. Even if it works "out of the box" who knows how long before an issue arises. I imagine the used market will not be good for these either ..

Good luck with your next system choice...
Do you really need battery operation?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Man that's a bummer Groberts.

You gave it a try.... seems JBL missed the mark on these and at $1499 it's just not worth the gamble. Even if it works "out of the box" who knows how long before an issue arises. I imagine the used market will not be good for these either ..

Good luck with your next system choice...
Do you really need battery operation?
Great question Jake. No I don't need the battery feature. Its cool but not necessary. The battery feature is not why I bought it. I bought it because everything packs up on a single package that is easy to carry in-and-out. It has performance and sound quality (as evidenced by the one my band mate bought) that meets my needs. It has reverb that the Bose L1 lacks and it includes Bluetooth for break music.They are also offering a free case/cover with wheels now through the end of the year. So it seemed super friendly for a gigging musician.

I have a Bose L1 Compact that sounds great. I love it ..except for lack of reverb and the base unit shape makes it hard to stack gear and roll on my cart. (I gig a lot, so I'm always loading, rolling and unloading)

I got excited after demo'ing and using the EON One Pro my band mate got. (His 2nd unit) When it works, it sounds great. When we perform as a duo, I plug in my bass direct and my partner is on acoustic guitar and vocals. Bass sounds killer straight-in. So I figured a pair of EON One Pro
s would be even better for our band gigs versus our Bose L1 Compacts. (We already do that with a pair of Bose L1 Compacts and for our band, it works great.) I figured the low end sub of the JBL would be punchier.

I was sort of tempted to get a replacement, but with the failure rate being rather high, I would always wonder if 'tonight is the night it craps out on a gig.' Dang.

So mostly, ithe JBL EON Pro was a 'want', not a 'need'.

I am gigging tonight solo acoustic/vocals and taking my Bose L1 Compact. It sounds great and has been totally reliable the past couple years.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-20-2017, 03:41 PM

I just have to comment on this whole battery thing.....

In my opinion, a rechargeable battery is a an item with a finite lifespan much shorter -- in general -- than the item powered by said battery. I really have to question the merits of incorporating a rechargeable battery into a device such as the EON One Pro. Assuming one likes the EON, I think a considerably better option would be to purchase a standard EON, and get a (far superior) stand-alone rechargeable power-supply for those rare occasions when cordless is truly required.....the difference in cost between the standard and cordless unit would certainly cover the expense of a power supply.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

In my opinion, a rechargeable battery is a an item with a finite lifespan much shorter -- in general -- than the item powered by said battery. I really have to question the merits of incorporating a rechargeable battery into a device such as the EON One Pro. Assuming one likes the EON, I think a considerably better option would be to purchase a standard EON, and get a (far superior) stand-alone rechargeable power-supply for those rare occasions when cordless is truly required.....the difference in cost between the standard and cordless unit would certainly cover the expense of a power supply.
I didn't need the battery. The Form factor mattered, as did everything elegantly packing up into one package for transporting.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Great question Jake. No I don't need the battery feature. Its cool but not necessary. The battery feature is not why I bought it. I bought it because everything packs up on a single package that is easy to carry in-and-out. It has performance and sound quality (as evidenced by the one my band mate bought) that meets my needs. It has reverb that the Bose L1 lacks and it includes Bluetooth for break music.They are also offering a free case/cover with wheels now through the end of the year. So it seemed super friendly for a gigging musician.
I hear ya... Seems the JBL had a nice feature set for you.

So just for mine and other's clarification. The older EON One (non battery model). It has a different feature set and configuration? Sorry if this has been discussed. But I wasn't paying attention.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I hear ya... Seems the JBL had a nice feature set for you.

So just for mine and other's clarification. The older EON One (non battery model). It has a different feature set and configuration? Sorry if this has been discussed. But I wasn't paying attention.
Correct. The older EON One is not what I am discussing. It didn't have a battery and again, that is not relevant for my needs. So lets not move this into a battery discussion. The new EON One Pro has a very desirable form factor, size, power and alleged performance. That is what was attractive to me. (And it has a 4 channel mixer with reverb and bluetooth for break music) That is why I liked it.

Also, I took advantage of a 15% off discount and it was $1275 ...and there is a promo to get a free case/cover that has very nice wheels too. So at that price point, I saw the potential for a lot of a value. ...if only it worked and sounded clean and clear. Details huh? LOL
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

FWIW, I take this point but if it didn't bake your hand (and the surrounding equipment) and didn't have other reported problems, the hassle reduction of a battery even for indoor performance was massively attractive to me. The Pro also has 4 legit XLR/quarter-inch combo jacks (plus the 5/6 RCA business) compared to the One's two combo jacks (plus other inputs that kind of bogusly had them market the latter as a 6-input machine) and, with a slightly narrower profile IIRC (smaller driver) was reported as a little easier to manhandle. Some also said the line array columns snapped together more easily, yet still solidly. On paper there's a lot to like.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Correct. The older EON One is not what I am discussing. It didn't have a battery and again, that is not relevant for my needs. So lets not move this into a battery discussion. The new EON One Pro has a very desirable form factor, size, power and alleged performance. That is what was attractive to me. (And it has a 4 channel mixer with reverb and bluetooth for break music) That is why I liked it.

Also, I took advantage of a 15% off discount and it was $1275 ...and there is a promo to get a free case/cover that has very nice wheels too. So at that price point, I saw the potential for a lot of a value. ...if only it worked and sounded clean and clear. Details huh? LOL
Roger that.. It wasn't the battery that made your decision to buy... it was the features and value. I can see why you bought it!

Perhaps JBL will rectify the "problems" and come out with a V2? Or better yet a working V1.

Maybe they are seeing the one's come back to factory and will be able to isolate the issues. Maybe it was just a "bad batch" ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification