The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-09-2017, 05:01 PM

Default Any good hybrid classical guitars without the cutout design?

They all seem to have electronics and cutout designs - I assume with the touring musician in mind.
Just wondering if there are any quality hybrids without the cutout?
I like the hybrid concept, but find the cutout takes away from the sound quality and I can get up there no problem when I need to.
Let's say in the $1500 and under range?

Thanks in advance : )
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 AM

Do you mean a crossover?

Look up the Cordoba C9 crossover. Full classical body, but crossover neck.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 11-10-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Do you mean a crossover?

Sirwhale is right on target....

These are great guitars with the cedar tops....
Old 11-10-2017, 06:29 AM

The C10 is another possible choice for a non cutaway crossover. Both the C9 and the C10 are solid wood guitars.

The only difference between the C9 and the C10 is the type of wood used on the backs and sides.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Tom Prisloe's Pavan TP-20. Check it out. http://www.pavanguitars.com/pavan-guitars.php
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Do you mean a crossover?

Yes apologies - I have come across the terms hybrid and crossover.
I assumed they meant classical guitars with acoustic type necks.
Can you clarify please.
And is it only the neck or also the fret spacing?
I am getting the impression, reading various comments and reviews online, that the crossover/hybrid tends to be
slightly less than either world (ie. pure classical or pure acoustic guitar)
Is there some truth to that - and if yes, which models may brake the mold?

thanks

Last edited by microscope; 11-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
Yes apologies - I have come across the terms hybrid and crossover.
I assumed they meant classical guitars with acoustic type necks.
Can you clarify please.
And is it only the neck or also the fret spacing?
I am getting the impression, reading various comments and reviews online, that the crossover/hybrid tends to be
slightly less than either world (ie. pure classical or pure acoustic guitar)
Is there some truth to that - and if yes, which models may brake the mold?

thanks
There are crossover guitars that are indentical to classical guitars, except for the thinner neck profile and narrower nut width, and there are crossover guitars that have thinner bodies, cutaways, electronics and other features that disninguish them from traditional classical guitars. I own a Cordoba C9 crossover, which is identical to a Cordoba C9 classical, except for the thinner neck profile and narrower nut width.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47gene View Post
Sirwhale is right on target....

These are great guitars with the cedar tops....

I'm in agreement with both Sirwhale and Gene....the C9s are great guitars...I'm a rosewood purist and I much prefer all the C9s I've played over the C10s
Old 11-10-2017, 06:29 PM

And a hybrid is a guitar with a built in synthesizer. But the term has taken on a looser meaning - the Godin Multiac may be referred to as a hybrid.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
And a hybrid is a guitar with a built in synthesizer. But the term has taken on a looser meaning - the Godin Multiac may be referred to as a hybrid.
Not my cup of tea, but an interesting creation for sure.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 PM

So if we're going with the premise of identical to classical except for the neck/nut width - what other options are there in the range of the Cordoba C9?
Just so I have more than one to try out.
And are they widely considered to be the same sound/tone/resonance of their pure classical guitar siblings?
Old 11-11-2017, 01:19 AM

Honestly, I would say you can get more out of a pure classical or flamenco guitar.

I went through some crossovers, but then quickly moved on to a flamenco guitar and found that I actually much prefer a 52mm nut and prefer a flat fretboard. This is all a preference thing, but what I am saying is that you try both types of neck, the classical/flamenco and the crossover, which tends to have a 48mm nut and a radius. Bare in mind that a flamenco will have nice low action and a classical is made for a high action.

The C9 crossover is probably the best you can get in that price range, but I also found that some factory Cordoba guitars can come with building issues, and you should look for one that hasn't got them (check carefully).

I really like the brand Camps. I live in Barcelona so have access to try many of them and can vouch for their consistency and quality - but with one of these you would be looking at a 52mm nut, flat fretboard, but a nice thin neck for ease of playing (compared to most other brands).
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 11-11-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I would say you can get more out of a pure classical or flamenco guitar.

I went through some crossovers, but then quickly moved on to a flamenco guitar and found that I actually much prefer a 52mm nut and prefer a flat fretboard.

The C9 crossover is probably the best you can get in that price range, but I also found that some factory Cordoba guitars can come with building issues, and you should look for one that hasn't got them (check carefully).
Again...I agree with sirwhale.

I was an avid steel string player who was forced for health reasons to switch to nylon string guitars. My first two guitars were narrower nut hybrids, both very high quality instruments - a Kenny Hill Master Series and a custom made Matt Mustapick. I quickly found out the narrower nut felt very cramped due to the thicker nylon strings. When I tried my first traditional classical guitar it all became much easier.

It does feel different at first and requires some time to adjust, but I agree - skip the "hybrid" guitars and go to a nice classical. I just purchased a Kenny Hill Player 650 with an elevated finger board and it really does enhance playability on the higher frets.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Guest 2143

I got my C9 crossover when I was looking for a classical guitar on which to play classical music. I find the smaller nut width (48mm) coupled with typical classical string spacing at the bridge to be a great combination for me. Some might prefer a roughly 52mm nut width, but the reality is that classical guitars have been made with many different nut widths (and scale lengths and other varying characteristics) for many years. Classical guitar has been and continues to be played on instruments with different specifications. What matters in my opinion in making music, and whatever is best for whoever is trying to make the music is all that matters.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM

And now what if I added to the mix that I wasn't intending to play much classical pieces, but just like the classical/nylon sound and will mainly play folk/soul type stuff with finger picking and strumming and some classical-style licks thrown in?
Would you say crossover over classical in that case?
Or maybe you would say just stick with an acoustic?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
cutout, hybrid acoustic, hybrid classical