The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I have a Maui 5. Love it so far. I bought their VIBZ 8DZ 8 channel mixer along with it and it's a great addition for more players. Separate sub woofer with separate control for sub and highs as well as the main volume, and input volumes. The BT ability made it a staple in the living room of our place here. The wife uses it constantly to stream music.

Attachment 1419
Awesome! I'm trying to use the BT streaming/can blend with furniture or art angle to get past her defense. But we already have a sweet sounding home stero setup and we are always spinning vinyl. So the BT aspect isn't very convincing unless the Maui 5 sounds better than my Monitor Audio MA-8's. I would also have to run the sound out of the phone jack on my reciever (70's Sansui).
Yesterday my wife came home and found me on my IPad and the first thing she said was "your not buying those speakers" then she gave a quick glance to the corner where it will go. Which means one thing, the wheels are turning, the gears are grinding, the machine has been set forth. Only a matter of time before its mine. Sweet victory.......just have to wait a bit, like a slow release venom.

Quick question. I know the Maui 5 is loud enough for my purposes, but how does it sound when your playing at living room friendly volume? This is what held me back from getting the Carvin S600B.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Just a note.
Long & mquade in Canada is 15% off and 0% financing on all Bose systems till mid March.
Just picked up an L1 compact for solo-duo gigs. My duo partner already has the same unit so we can run them in stereo.
Love the sound, love the dispersion and love the set up/tear down. I'm running my Yamaha MG16 mixer for eq, levels and fx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 PM

Don't rule out making your own! I did and it worked wonderfully for me. The Bose Compact uses a flat vertical array. But the larger units use their "articulated array" which you'll discover is each speaker at a slight angular offset in different directions.

Bose, unless they've changed, use a 2.25" speaker in their arrays. I used eight 3" Tang Band full range speakers and they did a great job!

BTW - Dave, a shout back to you with the failed Bose...I'd drill a hole, add a jack and use an external amp with it. Not rocket science! Or, PM me if you still have it and want to swap for something. :O

Cheers!
Brad

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 03-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Just tried out a HK Audio Lucas nano 300. It has plenty of bass and the highs were crystal clear but we couldnt find any mid range. The salesman tried to explain to me that these line array type p.a's lack any midrange and are not very good. BUT, he has actually never heard a portable line array except for the Lucas 300 and 600 which are satellite speakers and not line array. Still, I'm sure with a proper mixer (didnt have time to check) one could dial in the mids. Maybe it was the guitar? I was trying out a Yamaha APX700ii which comes with an onboard 3 band eq and when I turned the mid level up it sounded like crap. He told me the Yamaha DXR 10 is the way to go. I need to find a place that has the LD Maui's in stock.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Just tried out a HK Audio Lucas nano 300. It has plenty of bass and the highs were crystal clear but we couldnt find any mid range.
I have the review in Sonomag magazine with measurements and you can definitely see that. I can post/pm that if someone is interested.

From Sonomag magazine, HK nano 300:

From Sonomag magazine, HK nano 600:

From Sonomag magazine, L1 compact:

Sorry for the quality It should be 10dB per line.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 03-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
Don't rule out making your own! I did and it worked wonderfully for me.
Wow. That is impressive. Such a feat is worthy of its own forum thread. Care to share any pictures / schematics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
Bose, unless they've changed, use a 2.25" speaker in their arrays.
According to some very recent dialogs with Bose, they are using 2.25" mid/high speakers in their portable line arrays (L1-type) -- except for the L1 compact -- which uses 2" speakers.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Just tried out a HK Audio Lucas nano 300. It has plenty of bass and the highs were crystal clear but we couldnt find any mid range......
I often thought along similar lines regarding some of these line arrays. Assuming one is trying to amplify an acoustic guitar, it seems like -- for example -- 2" mid/high speakers and a 8-10" sub leaves a bit of a gap in the midrange delivery (where a lot of the guitar tone lies).
Old 03-02-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Our instrumental duo has been playing though a Fishman SA220 for 5 years and it has a nice natural tone and really good volume. It's very portable and takes less than 10 min to setup; I'd say one could do it in 5 min easily..
Hey Turp. Are using a mixer (I assume)? Which one?

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 03-02-2017, 11:13 AM

I've used my Acoustic thought both a Bose Compact and. Boss L Il - not problems with mid range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 03-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Default Any Advice on Portable Line Array PAs? (BOSE, etc)

Quote:
Just tried out a HK Audio Lucas nano 300. It has plenty of bass and the highs were crystal clear but we couldnt find any mid range. The salesman tried to explain to me that these line array type p.a's lack any midrange and are not very good. BUT, he has actually never heard a portable line array except for the Lucas 300 and 600 which are satellite speakers and not line array. Still, I'm sure with a proper mixer (didnt have time to check) one could dial in the mids. Maybe it was the guitar? I was trying out a Yamaha APX700ii which comes with an onboard 3 band eq and when I turned the mid level up it sounded like crap. He told me the Yamaha DXR 10 is the way to go. I need to find a place that has the LD Maui's in stock.

Thanks to you and Cuki for saving me $1600 on a Nano 608i!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just returning the favor. You saved me from getting the S600.
This has me worried about the Maui's mid range. Although I shouldnt be considering that salesman had ZERO experience with line arrays. Still the saying holds true. Try before you buy.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:46 AM

Dear OP, I can answer you almost exactly: I own a Bose L1C and a traditional PA - some Yamaha DXR 10 and DXR 15 active speakers.
AND this is our band setup - very similar to yours: 3xVox, acoustic guitar, banjo, upright bass, stomp box / kick drum, clean-ish electric guitar.

It's a country / folk / rock outfit. So I use both systems - the Bose and the Yamahas depending on the venue.
I always use a Mackie DL1608 iPad mixer (with the Bose and Yamaha system)

The Bose L1C copes with most small gigs, both indoor and out. Although with us, it's very near it's limiting and occasionally the red light flickers, but it doesn't affect the sound. (The Bose has good limiters, just don't run it constantly in the red - if it flickers for a split second now and then, you should be fine.)

Because of this we've taken to running a EV ZXA-1 12inch active sub with the Bose, and I use the Mackie mixer's aux outputs to send everything under 100Hz to the sub only. This gives a lot more headroom since it's almost always the bass frequencies that makes the Bose Compact run out of steam.

I would say crowds of up to 55 people (if they're quiet like a classy restuarant then up to a 100+) the Bose is still fine. It lacks punch though but fills the room with sound, but judging by your instrument list I guess the music you play is similar to ours and the Bose should be fine.

The greatest thing about the Bose L1 Compact (with the small active sub) for smaller gigs is that I don't have to dial in a monitor mix - because it's our FOH and monitor in one. And also you hear almost exactly what the crowd hears, which is a good thing.

For larger gigs, and weird shaped rooms, we have to use the traditional Yamaha PA system. But most small to medium pub gigs we take the Bose (and EV sub).

If I could afford two of them, I'd say it'll cover even more gigs, probably 90%. You should maybe consier the one up from the Compact the 1S, which has 12 drivers and a bigger subwoofer (I think). Otherwise get one for now, and a small sub, and buy another later for bigger gigs. The expensive L1 Model II would probably cover almost any gig, I wish I had one
Old 03-03-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
MartinGitdave, note that the nano600 has a 4dB/line scale so it's flatter than it looks compared to the L1C (10dB/line).

You can also lower the volume on the subwoofer but then you'd probably get a small dip in the lower mid (I guess).

I can send you all the measurements from the magazine (vertical, horinzontal dispersion, separate spectrum for the subwoofer and satellite...) by pm if you wish.

But every review I've read report a hole in the mids as reported by NotValid for the 300.

I was going for a Nano 608i too but I'll wait the magazine publish a review of the JBL eon one with measurements...

I think the main advantage of the HK nano is the possibility to have two speakers aiming at different direction. I've seen it in a restaurant with a asidewalk seating area was in L shape. And the acoustic duo used one for each corner of the L shape successfully. The ipad thing is also a + but you can pair a JBL eon one with a Berigner XR12 and get the same thing for less money.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-03-2017, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Awesome! I'm trying to use the BT streaming/can blend with furniture or art angle to get past her defense. But we already have a sweet sounding home stero setup and we are always spinning vinyl. So the BT aspect isn't very convincing unless the Maui 5 sounds better than my Monitor Audio MA-8's. I would also have to run the sound out of the phone jack on my reciever (70's Sansui).
Yesterday my wife came home and found me on my IPad and the first thing she said was "your not buying those speakers" then she gave a quick glance to the corner where it will go. Which means one thing, the wheels are turning, the gears are grinding, the machine has been set forth. Only a matter of time before its mine. Sweet victory.......just have to wait a bit, like a slow release venom.

Quick question. I know the Maui 5 is loud enough for my purposes, but how does it sound when your playing at living room friendly volume? This is what held me back from getting the Carvin S600B.

Yea, it's great at low volumes too. The adjustable sub and highs lets you blend for any volume. I probably play more at/in my living room at those volumes with just a hint of volume for my guitar but a bit more for vocals so I can sing with the same "output" as I would be on stage, or stuffed in the corner of a bakery....

Our local Open Mic went from a full PA to just this Maui 5 with and LD Systems 12 input mixer. That's where I first heard it. It was just better in every way; projection, highs, lows, tone, feel, etc. They were sick of moving so much equipment in/out every week and the Maui rep/guy promised them if they didn't like it better, they could return it. It's been there for 5 or 6 months now.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-03-2017, 08:47 AM

Default Any Advice on Portable Line Array PAs? (BOSE, etc)

I'm becoming more convinced that every compact PA system requires a compromise in features, weight, frequency response, or dispersion. For something compact and modestly priced, you're bringing extra outboard gear. So far, the best we've encountered is the Bose L1 II, which is the cost of a "Full Monty" PA system. So, pick your poison. Cuki, I'd like to see the charts for the Eon One and the 608i if you find them, in the future. My limited testing suggests the Eon One is the best value. But you'll probably need an your own outboard mixer and DSP. More stuff to carry, but good sound, modest weight, and value priced. I'm interested in hearing the Maui with a mixer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification