The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Default Coco

Was it the guitar playing? The fact that it's the first movie I've ever seen where the notes being portrayed onscreen are the actual notes and chords being played? (a bonus of animation, which means actors don't have to fake the playing)

Was it the emotional third act, among Pixar's very best? The heavy themes of family, forgiveness, and following your dream?

I don't really care what it was. It was awesome. Go see it now.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 11-23-2017, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. With 2 kids I become very familiar with kid movies- of which Pixar/Disney is my favorite studios.

Last edited by steelvibe; 12-12-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Default Coco Movie - good guitar movie

My wife and I just took our two boys to a movie. We decided to take them to Coco. I didn’t realize it was a guitar movie. It was very good. Anyone that is an acoustic guitar fan and especially a nylon string fan would really like this movie. It was very well done and the music and animation is really good.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Was it the guitar playing? The fact that it's the first movie I've ever seen where the notes being portrayed onscreen are the actual notes and chords being played? (a bonus of animation, which means actors don't have to fake the playing)

Was it the emotional third act, among Pixar's very best? The heavy themes of family, forgiveness, and following your dream?

I don't really care what it was. It was awesome. Go see it now.
For a little change of pace this year mama and I headed from Seattle to Anaheim to spend Thanksgiving at the Disneyland Hotel. Had an incredible meal last night and spent the day today in the park. Thanks to John, I have now purchased tickets on Fandango for tonights showing of Coco in 3D in Downtown Disney. Thanks for the recommendation John, looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-25-2017, 07:31 AM

Default New movie

Reading the paper this morning I went to the movie reviews and see that Pixar/Disney is releasing a new film "CoCo". Its about a boy in Mexico that dreams of being a musician ( guitar player) like his idol. Bet this generates lots of sales in the next month or two. And thats a good thing to get kids to get their heads into instead of their phones.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:54 AM

The sales will likely be some "Play like Coco" app for their phone.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The sales will likely be some "Play like Coco" app for their phone.
Where's that "like" button on this site????
Old 11-25-2017, 06:32 PM

Default Finally... a tribute to the soul of a guitar player

Terrific movie... icing on the cake is the tribute to the guitar and a musician’s magical ability to get “lost” in playing an instrument and soulfully picking a beautiful melody.

And so happy they didn’t make it modern and cheesy with some lame Justin Bieber, Adele, or Beyoncé “wanna be” wailing away.

Also a wonderful tribute to the Mexican culture. Nice to see in today’s age of “the wall”, immigration, etc.

Again, nice to finally see a light SHINE bright on the guitar. Hope this inspires little pickers and increases guitar sales in a time when guitars and great guitar solos have baically been forgotten about in the mainstream culture.
Maybe the best "guitar" movie since "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", "Tenacious D", and "School of Rock".

Last edited by lespaul_79; 11-25-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
Terrific movie... icing on the cake is the tribute to the guitar and a musician’s magical ability to get “lost” in playing an instrument and soulfully picking a beautiful melody.

And so happy they didn’t make it modern and cheesy with some lame Justin Bieber, Adele, or Beyoncé “wanna be” wailing away.

Also a wonderful tribute to the Mexican culture. Nice to see in today’s age of “the wall”, immigration, etc.

Again, nice to finally see a light SHINE bright on the guitar. Hope this inspires little pickers and increases guitar sales in a time when guitars and great guitar solos have baically been forgotten about in the mainstream culture.
Maybe the best "guitar" movie since "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", "Tenacious D", and "School of Rock".
You might want to educate yourself about how illegal immigrants are treated in Mexico before you celebrate that culture in that particular light.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:42 PM

Great movie! But some of the heavy themes of life and death made both my little ones cry (6 and 3). But, the animation is spectacular, the guitar is represented accurately, and the joy of music and family were heartwarming. I loved it
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Coco - A "Must See" Movie for All Guitarists

I saw the new Pixar animated feature "Coco" today. It is about a boy who dreams of becoming an accomplished guitarist/musician, like his idol. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is a great story that tugs at the heartstrings, and has an amazing, guitar-rich soundtrack. It is visually stunning, and when the animated characters play guitar, their fingerwork is perfectly accurate. What more can a guitarist ask for? Like me, you will probably see yourself in the movie's main character.

Last edited by Mkel12; 12-11-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll go with my 16 year old grandson.
We still do stuff like that together.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic