The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 PM

Default Telling the truth is always the wrong thing to do

Summer, 1998.
Got a good wife- college sweetheart- and two great little kids.
Had to work in San Mateo over the summer- construction- and that's where I met Molly.
I 'met' Molly over 80 times that summer. Summer of '98 in San Mateo.
Next thing I know when I get back home is a bunch of questions thrown at me by my wife. Eventually I had to tell her the truth. The darn truth.
After the divorce I had to move to a shack on the edge of town. She takes 80% of my pay for her and the kids.
Telling the truth is always the wrong thing to do.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:43 PM

1998??? Isn't it time to move on?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:47 PM

So, it was "telling the truth" that was the wrong thing to do, huh?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:53 PM

Wonder if the violating of your marriage vows had anything to do with it.

cotten
Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 PM

I always lie. I'm lying now.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:55 PM

Interesting idea ...

I was once separated geographically from an ex for some months. I was still in occasional contact (pre-Internet days!) with a previous ex, and the current one was not 'cool' about that, so to speak. During those months apart, I spent some days at the previous ex's house on a trip down to London. Nothing untoward happened or had the slightest possibility of happening. I told the current ex about the visit because I thought I owed her the truth - I was foolishly convinced that couples have to be punishingly honest with each other at all times. The current ex blew a fuse and this visit became the catalyst to a break-up a short time afterwards. I could easily have just said that I spent the weekend at a hotel, and anyway, "nothing" had happened, and nor had I had any wish that something might. Maybe there are times in these matters when the "truth" wreaks little but destruction.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I always lie. I'm lying now.
Reminds me of a classic logic puzzle I encountered a number of years ago. Takes numerous permutations, naturally.

Here's an example, for example:

"A princess visits an island inhabited by two tribes. Members of one tribe always tell the truth, and members of the other tribe always lie.

"The princess comes to a fork in the road. She needs to know which road leads to the castle so as to avoid the fire-breathing dragon and rescue the prince from the wizard holding him captive in the castle. (Although the princess doesn't know it, the south road leads to the castle and the north road leads to the dragon.)

"Standing at this fork in the road is a member of each tribe, but the princess can't tell which tribe each belongs to. What question should she ask to find the road to the castle?"
Old 07-20-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageoftrilogy View Post
After the divorce I had to move to a shack on the edge of town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
The current ex blew a fuse and this visit became the catalyst to a break-up a short time afterwards.
The truth shall set you free!
et al
Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
"Standing at this fork in the road is a member of each tribe, but the princess can't tell which tribe each belongs to. What question should she ask to find the road to the castle?"
Ask one tribe member what the other would say, and the take the opposite.
et al
Old 07-20-2016, 04:35 PM

5:41 pm? I wonder what brought this on? You ok Age?

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-20-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Summer, 1998.
Had to work in San Mateo over the summer- construction- and that's where I met Molly.
Next thing I know when I get back home is a bunch of questions thrown at me by my wife. Eventually I had to tell her the truth. The darn truth.
After the divorce I had to move to a shack on the edge of town. She takes 80% of my pay for her and the kids.
I'd say cheating is always the wrong thing to do.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Reminds me of a classic logic puzzle I encountered a number of years ago. Takes numerous permutations, naturally.

Here's an example, for example:

"A princess visits an island inhabited by two tribes. Members of one tribe always tell the truth, and members of the other tribe always lie.

"The princess comes to a fork in the road. She needs to know which road leads to the castle so as to avoid the fire-breathing dragon and rescue the prince from the wizard holding him captive in the castle. (Although the princess doesn't know it, the south road leads to the castle and the north road leads to the dragon.)

She asks both tribes first, "Am I a woman?" If one tribe answers "No" then you know they're the lying tribe!

Piece of paper, one side says "The statement on the other side is true" and on the other side "The statement on the other side is false". Which side is true?

John is a barber on an island that does not get outside visitors. John shaves every man on the island who doesn't shave himself. Question - Who shaves John? (No, John is not a woman!)
Old 07-20-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Summer, 1998.
Well if you were the faithful one and your wife was cheating, she'd be paying YOU alimony while she lives in a shack! So I suppose what's fair is fair.

Or, you're obviously not a good poker player!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:16 PM

Thumbs up Summer, 1998....

was a good summer. Kids hadn't reached the teenage years, the house and cars were new, the job was still "working" out......Disneyland was a fun place, San Diego was a good time place with all the relatives.....oh, sorry, forgot this was about AofT s' misery Next time lie like your life depended on it
Old 07-20-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Summer, 1998.
your post is sad all around: for your kids, your wife, molly, and especially you. your kids must be practically grown up by now.

of all the things to blame for your misfortunes, i'm not sure the truth is near the top. just don't lie to yourself. i hope you feel better soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic