The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-11-2017, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I got kind of depressed. When you see every step from start to finish you realize how much work goes into building a guitar. And I wonder, is it worth it?

Well, worth and value are subjective, but for me, every time I pick up and play my two custom hand built guitars and hear the tones they produce, it is so satisfying. I cannot speak for the luthiers but whenever I have made something by hand, it is very satisfying. I guess each person would have to determine for themselves if it is worth it.

I can only imagine how a builder feels when he or she hears a skilled player play one of their instruments.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-11-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Well, worth and value are subjective, but for me, every time I pick up and play my two custom hand built guitars and hear the tones they produce, it is so satisfying. I cannot speak for the luthiers but whenever I have made something by hand, it is very satisfying. I guess each person would have to determine for themselves if it is worth it.

I can only imagine how a builder feels when he or she hears a skilled player play one of their instruments.

Best,
Jayne
Even hearing some average players on my guitars is a pleasure. It is just that the video showed all the steps in a compressed period of time and I know how long the steps take me. But I never really add up the hours it takes to build an instrument, and most of the time is just to make the instrument look pretty. Not that it really matters, I set myself on this path and I can't imagine stop building until I used up most of my wood.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm only 1/3 of the way through the video, and I MISS MY FRIENDS!!!

Realizing what a special thing it was for me to be there with them when the shop was being built... James told me a lot about what machines and jigs were what, but, not being a builder, I forgot them immediately!

What a wonderful video this is... and it so good to see my friends James and Luke again!

I will probably chime in again when I finish watching the whole thing... but, I'm REALLY enjoying this!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 AM

Several top builders have posted on this forum that they can build a guitar in a week. I couldnt do that but these are guys that have built a lot. I think the Goodalls build 2 a week. Looking at all their jugs I can see it would speed up the process considerably.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Several top builders have posted on this forum that they can build a guitar in a week. I couldnt do that but these are guys that have built a lot. I think the Goodalls build 2 a week. Looking at all their jugs I can see it would speed up the process considerably.
~100 guitars a year is a very impressive output accomplished by two builders utilizing clever fixturing and subcontracting their finishing (really 3 people). Moving to a catalyzed finish adds to their output over nitro, varnish or FP. I believe that their clever fixturing from their small shop experience in Hawaii and their non-traditional finish choices has roughly tripled their output (see below).

Jim Olson a few years back was building 60 guitars a year (with some assistance during some years) and doing his own finishing. He was mostly building a single model (SJ) in 3 batches of 20 guitars. He also used a non-traditional finish. This was also an amazing output feat. I am glad to see that he has cut back and is enjoying life a bit more these days.

In my experience with custom guitar luthiers , a solo builder doing their own finishing using traditional finishes can only build in the range of 15 guitars a year. Add an apprentice, build in small batches (parallel activities) and outsource your finishing and you can double that to about 30 guitars/year (if you have the market demand). This is the basis of my 3x productivity estimate based on fixturing and finish choices.

I very much enjoyed the video (thanks for posting it...)
Old 11-12-2017, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thanks for posting this clip. I skimmed through it this afternoon, but plan on watching the entire video later on.
I watched the entire video last night. Fascinating. I love watching how things are made, especially when it's a great combination of science and the arts. So much effort to create a single instrument, and it's amazing to see all the differences between different builders, whether hand-made or factory-made.

Now, I want to take a road trip up the coast!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Inspiring Video - Hope it Inspires Players to Make Their Own Guitars

Aloha Reso1 & Friends,

Thank you for sharing that inspiring video from old friend James Goodall with us. Gorgeous production as well as the finished product. Such craftsmanship! So much information!

I would hope that along with inspiring buying urges or a trip to Fort Bragg, that more players would be inspired to make their own guitars when they see such lutherie perfection laid out step by step.

A great video like this is an actual blueprint (check out all the cool jigs you can make for yourself). Sure the Goodalls are 48 years into luthierie & at the top of their game, but James started his craft in Bob Taylor's parent's garage with the Breedlove's & Gregg Deering using basic, not very advanced, time-honored, hand techniques to build instruments inexpensively for themselves at first. And those guitars also sounded, looked & played pretty durn great.

For example, ya don't need an expensive side-bender to shape a guitar side - just a 3" pipe & an exterior mold you can make yourself out of scrap ply - as most of the world's instrument makers use. And, you don't need a lutherie class or apprenticeship first before you build. Making one guitar for yourself will answer most of the basic questions & yield more intelligent questions for when you ask a professional luthier.

I would urge players to stop thinking that building a guitar is for someone else, or that only experts like the dozen regulars seen here regularly are the only ones qualified to make a great guitar. And especially to any younger players here who may not even believe that it's possible to make their own guitar, use this & other great video's (Greenfield, Traugott, Sobel, etc.) to become inspired to start your very own build.

If you look at each frame, there is a wealth of information as to the details of how to make your own guitar.

From personal experience, I can tell ya that the satisfaction is immense.

I got into lutherie out of necessity: my hands are far too big for factory guitars & I didn't have the money for a solid wood guitar. So using the one or two books available in the late 60's, I designed & built my own gigging guitars, three of which I gigged with for almost 50 years! Then others asked me to make a guitar or other instrument for them, and it became a business. Ten years later it was back to being a hobby again. Forty five years later, I've made some 220 custom guitars for players who were looking for something built just for them.

However, in that same time frame, I've also had over a hundred "telephone apprentices" build their own instruments (ukes & guitars) with my help to get through the rough spots over the decades. And really, most didn't need much guidance at all (just encouragement) to build something that sounded great & fit their hands, ears & sensibilities.

Use this fantastic Goodall video & the many other available resources to build your own guitar, friends. It's MUCH more satisfying than simply buying or participating in a build from afar, or waiting years for the experts to make you one. Or even, taking a trip up the Coast.

A Hui Hou!

alohachris

PS: When I first considered making a guitar for these hands, I would have killed to have a detailed video like this as a reference. Sloane's, "Making A Steel String Guitar" & David Russell Young's "The Steel String Guitar" were all we had back then. And HL Wild on E. 11th Street in Greenwich Village for a limited number of luthierie supplies. Times sure have changed. Use the info friends. - alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 11-12-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:08 PM

And I hope nobody thought I am discouraged in my building, I am quite happy to fall into this craft. But it can be a solitary craft. And as far as sticking it out till I run out of wood, I figure I have enough for at least 100+ guitars. And you never know what wood may call me to take it home.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks for posting this video!

I own an incredible 2009 Goodall Brazilian/Adirondack CJc made by James and Luke in their Ft Bragg shop. I also owned (recently sold) a 2010 Goodall Redwood/EIR GC, which was also amazing. As has been said many times, there is something about a Goodall guitar that is magical, unlike any other guitar.

About 2 years ago my wife and I visited with the Goodalls at their shop in Ft. Bragg. We spent 3 days with James, Jean and Luke, while James put a K&K pick up in my Brazilian, and dialed in the set up for me. All I can say is they are some of the nicest, kindest and most humble, down to earth people you will ever meet. Like Jseth, we now think of the Goodalls as dear friends, and consider it an honor and a privilege to own one of their stellar guitars.

This wonderful video brought back fond memories of our special time with them at their shop. Thank you for posting this!

I had my Brazilian Goodall up for sale (personal reasons, nothing to do with the guitar!), but thank God things have changed and I no longer need to sell this special guitar. Of course, I’m not nearly a good enough player to justify owning something this great, but it does inspire me to keep at it!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 11-12-2017, 09:05 PM

Thanks for posting. That was special.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

One thing the video doesn't show is both James' and Luke's wives work in the shop as well. They handle a lot of the dealer and customer relations and a lot of the shipping and materials ordering. So the reality is that about 5 people work for Goodall guitars.

I've been in a few great guitar shops like SCGC and Goodall and when I visited the Goodall shop in FT Bragg I was hugely impressed!! Impressive instruments built in an impressive shop by an impressive family!! I feel blessed to own a couple of their instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
~100 guitars a year is a very impressive output accomplished by two builders utilizing clever fixturing and subcontracting their finishing (really 3 people). Moving to a catalyzed finish adds to their output over nitro, varnish or FP. I believe that their clever fixturing from their small shop experience in Hawaii and their non-traditional finish choices has roughly tripled their output (see below).

Jim Olson a few years back was building 60 guitars a year (with some assistance during some years) and doing his own finishing. He was mostly building a single model (SJ) in 3 batches of 20 guitars. He also used a non-traditional finish. This was also an amazing output feat. I am glad to see that he has cut back and is enjoying life a bit more these days.

In my experience with custom guitar luthiers , a solo builder doing their own finishing using traditional finishes can only build in the range of 15 guitars a year. Add an apprentice, build in small batches (parallel activities) and outsource your finishing and you can double that to about 30 guitars/year (if you have the market demand). This is the basis of my 3x productivity estimate based on fixturing and finish choices.

I very much enjoyed the video (thanks for posting it...)

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 11-13-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Best luthier video I have seen to date

Well worth the 50 minutes to watch. Fascinating and inspiring.

Definitely makes me want to own one.

Glad to see the craft being passed on to the next generation.

Thanks for posting.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Great video, thanks for posting. I have owned a Fort Bragg Goodall and they are exceptional instruments !
Martin J-41
Old 12-30-2017, 01:01 PM

Fantastic video. I love the emphasis on ingenuity in tooling coupled with the finest in hand crafting expertise. I can't afford one but all the Goodall's I've had the pleasure to play have all been true gems.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM

Yes this is a great video... and they are fantastic instruments Doug Smith is among my favorite instrumental acoustic players of all time as well.

It would be nice to be geared up the way they are - their setup is impressive, yet at the same time not high-tech. Just good ol' machines each set up to do one job and do it perfectly every time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop