The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I like how you started off all strong and “I’m not gonna buy” and then ended up with two the next day. I guess that’s only an average of one per day.

HA! Congrats, I did that at the SB Show too... Kid in a candy store
Old 10-30-2017, 12:57 PM

I was able to try 3 of the Wilborns so I know what a great purchase you have made. Congrats!
Old 10-30-2017, 01:12 PM

I first saw the pictures of your new guitars on my phone, but they were so nice I brought them up on my computer where they really look great! Congrats on some nice guitars!
Old 10-30-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
I like how you started off all strong and “I’m not gonna buy” and then ended up with two the next day. I guess that’s only an average of one per day.

HA! Congrats, I did that at the SB Show too... Kid in a candy store
I know, it is nice to go and see all of them and I am happy for those who love to do just that, but to come home empty handed with all those choices and the personal experiences with the luthiers, for me that just would leave me empty haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell View Post
I was able to try 3 of the Wilborns so I know what a great purchase you have made. Congrats!
Thank you very much! It is funny, I just sort of saw them at the last minute and played a bit then got out my wallet, just like that!!! I am glad you liked them as well. As I said earlier that is great feedback to help my little subconscious know I did the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I first saw the pictures of your new guitars on my phone, but they were so nice I brought them up on my computer where they really look great! Congrats on some nice guitars!
Thank you very much, there are some real gems at those shows, it just takes some time to find the right ones for the right price etc. The EIR on the Wilborn, as Bruce Sexauer said himself, is very unique and really sold me on the guitar. Then the Kinnaird is my first burst and I am really liking it. They both sound great!
Old 10-30-2017, 02:40 PM

The Kinnairds had more people around their tables when I went up on the stage area (mid afternoon saturday), so it was easier to try out the Wilborns. I'm sure I would have liked the Kinnairds too.

I also tried this one:
http://www.zimnicki.com/instrument/reclaimed-guitar-2/
Old 10-30-2017, 02:46 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Congrats, Tom!! Awesome choices, my friend. I have guitars from both of those builders and can attest that you made some fine choices from that group of awesomeness. Looks like a great time and I'm sorry I didn't make it this year.

JR
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell View Post
The Kinnairds had more people around their tables when I went up on the stage area (mid afternoon saturday), so it was easier to try out the Wilborns. I'm sure I would have liked the Kinnairds too.

I also tried this one:
http://www.zimnicki.com/instrument/reclaimed-guitar-2/
Cool, I did not get to check that out....Douglas Fir top, that is different for sure...Reclaimed maple flooring....wow...
Old 10-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Congrats, Tom!! Awesome choices, my friend. I have guitars from both of those builders and can attest that you made some fine choices from that group of awesomeness. Looks like a great time and I'm sorry I didn't make it this year.

JR
Thanks JR. I knew about the Kinnaird and Ben mentioned you had one of his too...that is awesome. Guess we both have pretty good taste, or equally poor taste, but I think the former is more likely.

Yes, too bad you were not there, tons of great folks and would have been great to meet you. It was really a fun weekend.

Tom
Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, sorry we missed you also, that is weird and Dennis had a huge AGF banner on his ample chest too.....I hope you had fun...you obviously have more will power than myself.
Or maybe it's less space or less money, whatever. I wanted my socks to be blown off and that didn't happen to me. It doesn't happen often but if it does again, I hope I am ready for it. Sexauer's pear guitar and one by Kevin Ryan both severely tempted me over the years, they just felt and sounded perfect. But they both had cutaways and I'd promised myself not to do that. But I was tempted by some others that I saw this weekend and may yet succumb.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Or maybe it's less space or less money, whatever. I wanted my socks to be blown off and that didn't happen to me. It doesn't happen often but if it does again, I hope I am ready for it. Sexauer's pear guitar and one by Kevin Ryan both severely tempted me over the years, they just felt and sounded perfect. But they both had cutaways and I'd promised myself not to do that. But I was tempted by some others that I saw this weekend and may yet succumb.
Aye, don't fight it my friend, it just eats away at ya....
Old 10-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Funny, I had a similar experiemce, though maybe interpreted differently. All these guitars were SO good it was hard to break one away from the pack. I tried to focus on a group of 3 or 4, though honestly after a while it was impossible to pick one that shined over the others. Because I didn't win the raffle, I'll have to rely on your assessment of the Wilborn, Tom....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 10-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Tom, so sorry I couldn't go this year. Too many things happening over that weekend for me to get away. Glad you found some beautiful additions, they really look special, and I know you're even more delighted about the relationships with the builders. Enjoy, my friend!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
It is tempting to target you with one, Roland. . . Maybe next time.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Tom, on your weak willpower and awesome guitar purchases!

I had the opportunity to play Ben's guitars at SB and they were indeed impressive.

And of course, your Kinnaird is a beauty that I know has wonderful music in it waiting to be unleashed!

Enjoy...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:50 PM

Tom,

Congrats on finding some sweet guitars to follow you home I can't think of 2 (really 3 with Ryan!) nicer guys in the guitarmaking world to work with. I had the pleasure of staying with Ben (and others) last year at Santa Barbara and it was one of the best hangs of my life.

It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to chat and I'm glad you had a good show. Hopefuly see you there next year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop