The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Choices: Journey Roadtrip Carbon Fiber vs. Emerald X20 Opus

After lurking about here for quite awhile, I would appreciate some feedback about picking up a carbon fiber guitar for the dry winter months to leave out for playing all the time. I have found I like smaller guitar bodies (old shoulder injury from a bike crash) and primarily play my Yamaha LS16R. It's not a bad size, but has quite a deep body, so when I pick up a carbon fiber model, I'd like playing comfort to play a big part of the decision. I don't really expect to bring the guitar for travel (I've got a cheap Washburn for that) so it will be the around the house, couch, etc. guitar. For what it's worth, I'm not a good player (working hard to get better) and mostly strum, but will be learning fingerpicking.

Both of the guitars noted have arm bevels and are smaller bodies. The X20 has a slightly bigger bout than my Yamaha and has a full-length scale, whereas the Journey has a somewhat smaller bout with the addition of a belly "cut" and Manzer wedge design to add additional comfort. I tend to prefer a warmer sound, and it's my impression from research that both these models are on the warmer side for CF.

The Journey Road Trip in CF is fairly new and I'm not able to find out much about it beyond a couple of short videos on Youtube, but they seem to have a good reputation. I suspect the Emerald X7 might be too small (I don't want to hunch) and the Journey OF660, while nice, is reported as being quite neck heavy, so I'm not considering those two strongly and expect them to be out of the running.

Has anyone played the CF Journey Road Trip? If so, I'd love to hear your impressions. Re: the Emerald X20, how is playing comfort? What I've read is the sound is quite nice.

Last edited by Texrider; 07-17-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard, Texrider. My experience is with the X20, I have not seen a Roadtrip in person. The X20 is not a small guitar, but has been designed for sound, comfort, and playability. From the specs, it is similar in depth to the RT, but a little wider at the lower bout. 25.5" scale on the X20 vs 24.5 on the RT. Both are 1.75" nut width. Overall length is 40" on the X20 vs 36" on the RT, which may be in the neck and headstock difference.

As you noted, the RoadTrip is pretty new, so not a lot of them out there - plenty of info on the X20 on this sub-forum. I find the X20 to be very comfortable to play, great tone/sound. What I've read about the RT is that is does add more volume and bass compared to the original OF660, which makes sense, since it is larger.

As a thoroughly satisfied Emerald owner (X20 and X7), I have been delighted with these guitars and the customer service. Comfort-wise, these are the most ergonomically designed, comfortable guitars I own; makes you want to pick 'em up and play more. I know there are some Journey owners here, so maybe they can give you some insight.

Good luck with the decisions.

Jim
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texrider View Post
After lurking about here for quite awhile, I would appreciate some feedback about picking up a carbon fiber guitar for the dry winter months to leave out for playing all the time. I have found I like smaller guitar bodies (old shoulder injury from a bike crash) and primarily play my Yamaha LS16R. It's not a bad size, but has quite a deep body, so when I pick up a carbon fiber model, I'd like playing comfort to play a big part of the decision.
Hi Texrider,

I actually own both of these guitars, played them extensively, and you really can't go wrong with either, but based on your size requirement the Journey RT660 would be a no brainer. While the x20 is nicely contoured, it's still a much larger guitar. In fact the x20 is about the size of the Rainsong WS, or the Taylor Grand Auditorium, while the RT660, (which I also nicely contoured with a Manse wedge design) is closer in size to the Taylor GS Mini.

As noted already, the RT660 is new on the market, so not many members here here have tried it, but they have been selling rather well, and to date not ne has been returned to us during the normal inspection period.

Here are some photos that might help.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 07-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Great comparison photos, Ted. But your H-DR-1000N2 looks suspiciously like a WS body to me, not a dreadnought.
Of course, the overall body dimensions are the same, just the shape differs.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Great comparison photos, Ted. But your H-DR-1000N2 looks suspiciously like a WS body to me, not a dreadnought.
Of course, the overall body dimensions are the same, just the shape differs.
The Rainsong is the H-WS1000N2 grand auditorium. Typo fixed.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM

I have a 660, X-20. and a WS (CH)... have to have all 3... no way out of it... hope this helps.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I have a 660, X-20. and a WS (CH)... have to have all 3... no way out of it... hope this helps.
But how would you compare the x-20 to the 660? Volume? Tone?

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
That made me laugh...good one. And I'm sure a lot of us would agree.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTune View Post
But how would you compare the x-20 to the 660? Volume? Tone?
I played the two side by side yesterday, and as expected the much larger x20 is definitely louder, the same way the Taylor 114ce is louder than the GS Mini, but the RT660 does have a bit more warmth. Like the GS Mini, the RT660 was designed to be a travel companion that can also serve as your stage guitar. I'm with Kramster, you need both.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Wow! Thanks so much for the great input!

I am so thankful for the great advice! Clear and to the point with great insights. I feel I can't go wrong with either, but at this point, I'm going to finish the convincing process for my significant other (she's on board, thinking Christmas, I may need to argue for anniversary, which is much sooner)

Based on the input, it seems I can't go wrong, but I think I am swayed to give the Journey Roadtrip the (first) try. Looks like Ted can expect an order when the convincing is over! The Emerald will no doubt stay on my radar.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:32 PM

I have 3 CF guitars (sold my Rainsong WS1000N2T); an X20, a Journey Overhead and a Rainsong Shorty. All three are fabulous instruments. You might want to at least consider a 12 fret shorty. Small body, easy to play and beautiful warm sound.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I played the two side by side yesterday, and as expected the much larger x20 is definitely louder, the same way the Taylor 114ce is louder than the GS Mini, but the RT660 does have a bit more warmth. Like the GS Mini, the RT660 was designed to be a travel companion that can also serve as your stage guitar. I'm with Kramster, you need both.
I concur on all counts.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 PM

I don't have an X20 but I have played by Brother in laws.

It's a pretty big guitar. As others have pointed out, its the size of a Rainsong WS or Taylor x14. Feels a bit more like an OM size due to the bevel, but it's definitely bigger than what you appear to be looking for.

I wouldn't mind having an X20 as a stage guitar, and I definitely wouldn't mind adding an X-20-12 to my collection.

When I play at home however, I am almost always playing my Larrivee Parlor, which is an 0 size instrument, which just coincidentally is the exact same size as Rainsong's 0 size Parlor.

So I am going to suggest that you broaden your choices a bit and seriously consider either a Rainsong CH-PA or PA-12S.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Guest 928

The RS parlor is nice intermediate size with great tonal and projection qualities--I'd add it to your list.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:20 PM

Default Rainsong Parlor

I'll have to add this to consideration. There will be a much larger variety of soundclips of the Rainsong parlor available to listen to. The challenge is that there are so few clips of the Journey Roadtrip carbon fiber. I have always envisioned adding a parlor guitar to my "collection". I play one for fun for a bit after every lesson (at a nice local music store specializing in guitars).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
emerald x20, journey