The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 AM

Talking Martin GPCPA5 Vs 000X1AE

So I've been searching for the best (advanced) Martin for under $1,000 and have finally narrowed it down to two. I've played both and can't decide which one is better. Some people call the 000X1AE the, "perfect guitar" but the GPCPA5 is on every top 10 chart I've seen. Right now the 000X1AE is going for $549.99 and the GPCPA5 is going for $699.99. I'm actually leaning toward the 000X1AE because of the lower price but I would love a professional opinion on the matter. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and am looking forward to a response.

Last edited by Noah Lyons; 11-30-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 AM

I've been looking at both online (except the GPCPA5K (koa)) for a few weeks now, but have yet to get to pick up either. I'd be interested in people's opinions on each as well.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get to GC in a few weeks to be able to try out at least one of them.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:22 PM

I have a DX1RAE X-series and love it, awesome tone! Played a couple other X-series guitars which also sounded excellent.

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics
Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 PM

You won't see a huge fan group of the X series here. I think it's Martin's use of innovative materials. I, however, own the 000x1ae and like it very much. I believe buying used for around $350-400 is a better option. It has nice tone & is very comfortable to play. In your price range I would seriously look at a used 00015 also.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:17 PM

I owned a 000x1ae that I played out with. It sounded great unplugged or plugged, and for the money they are hard to beat. I would highly recommend it!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:22 PM

Can you get the gpcpa5 with a 1 11/16 nut width?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 PM

The GPCPA5 has solid "select hardwood" neck and 1 3/4 inch nut width. The fingerboard and bridge are Richlite.

It also has a cutaway, and nice Fishman Analog electronics with built in tuner.

The 000X1AE has a laminated birch "Stratobond" neck with a 1 11/16 inch nut width. The fingerboard and bridge are Richlite.

It comes without a cutaway and has the Fishman Sonitone electroncs

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 11-30-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
The GPCPA5 has solid "select hardwood" neck and 1 3/4 inch nut width. The fingerboard and bridge are Richlite.

It also has a cutaway, and nice Fishman Analog electronics with built in tuner.

The 000X1AE has a laminated birch "Stratobond" neck with a 1 11/16 inch nut width. The fingerboard and bridge are Richlite.

It comes without a cutaway and has the Fishman Sonitone electroncs

The nut width is the one thing keeping me from the GPCPA5.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 AM

I have friend with the GPCPA5 and he loves it. I've played it. In my opinion the playability was top notch and the sound plugged in top notch. Unplugged it's good, not great, but well worth it at $700 (that's what my friend paid BTW, fairly deeply discounted)

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 12-01-2015, 08:21 AM

The GPCpa5 has alot better electronics than the X series. The Fishman aura beats the sonitone hands down. The GPCpa5 has better wood with a cut away and that is prime for performing. The GPCpa5 will also feel better in your hands. You can plug the GPCpa5 in any amp or PA and the analog Fishman aura will sound good. I've played both on stage.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:08 AM

The only drawback to the X series Martins is that stratobond neck. It is way too neck heavy. I am ok with the HPL back and sides but that neck screws up the ergonomics of the guitar IMHO. For your budget, I would look for a used 15 series Martin. The 15 series is solid wood, American made and will get better with age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplexi View Post
The only drawback to the X series Martins is that stratobond neck. It is way too neck heavy. I am ok with the HPL back and sides but that neck screws up the ergonomics of the guitar IMHO. For your budget, I would look for a used 15 series Martin. The 15 series is solid wood, American made and will get better with age.

So the biggest draw back for me with the 000x1ae is the pre amp being located inside the sound hole. I play in a worship band and while the pastors praying I like to do a little light finger style and fiddle with my tone knobs to try and get good volume and the right tone. I know this sounds strange but it sound pretty good. If I do get the 000X1AE I can't do this. I'm really starting to lean towards the GPCPA5 because of the grand performance body and it being perfect for what I do.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=stratplexi;4733930]The only drawback to the X series Martins is that stratobond neck. It is way too neck heavy. I am ok with the HPL back and sides but that neck screws up the ergonomics of the guitar IMHO. For your budget, I would look for a used 15 series Martin. The 15 series is solid wood, American made and will get better with age.

I don't really personally like the look/sound of mahogany. To me it's a little to tinny and I'm more into the broad, deep, full sound and after a while of playing the mahogany the sound just kinda gets on my nerves. Don't get me wrong mahogany is a great look it's just I don't prefer it
Old 12-01-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Lyons View Post
So the biggest draw back for me with the 000x1ae is the pre amp being located inside the sound hole. I play in a worship band and while the pastors praying I like to do a little light finger style and fiddle with my tone knobs to try and get good volume and the right tone. I know this sounds strange but it sound pretty good. If I do get the 000X1AE I can't do this. I'm really starting to lean towards the GPCPA5 because of the grand performance body and it being perfect for what I do.
Why can't you do it? I do it all the time. You have a vol and tone control right at the top of the sound hole, very easy.

I'm also confused when you said...people say this is the perfect guitar. What people would say that about this entry level budget guitar? Don't get me wrong, I have the dread version, sounds nice but ......the perfect guitar???????
Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Why can't you do it? I do it all the time. You have a vol and tone control right at the top of the sound hole, very easy.

I'm also confused when you said...people say this is the perfect guitar. What people would say that about this entry level budget guitar? Don't get me wrong, I have the dread version, sounds nice but ......the perfect guitar???????
Well I was also thinking of putting a sound hole pickup in making the tone knobs inaccessible and i was just saying what I have heard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion