The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Default Stratabond Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplexi View Post
The only drawback to the X series Martins is that stratobond neck. It is way too neck heavy. I am ok with the HPL back and sides but that neck screws up the ergonomics of the guitar IMHO. For your budget, I would look for a used 15 series Martin. The 15 series is solid wood, American made and will get better with age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
COsign this opinion on the stratabond neck. I own an X series and that is really the only issue with the guitar. Too heavy. Sounds terrific and easy to play otherwise.

I can't Cosign the 15 series recommendation. I know they are well regarded here, but I sold mine after a month. I wasn't thrilled with the Hog sound. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:29 PM

You know, I played both these guitars, and in my opinion, it doesn't really make much difference so go with the cheapest one.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Guest 2143

My vote is for the X series as well. I owned a 00015M for about a year and preferred the tone and the stability of my 000X1. I have had the 000X1 for 7 years and love it. Never even played a GCPPA5, so I cannot comment on it. Just my opinion here...
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 PM

Well since I didn't know you were in a worship band I recommended the 15 series based on your budget. Knowing you are looking to gig, I would look for a used 3 series Taylor...probably a 314. The Taylor is all solid wood and they are outstanding in a worship band. If you are set on something new then I would go for the GPCPA5 over the X because the Sonitone is not that good.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplexi View Post
Well since I didn't know you were in a worship band I recommended the 15 series based on your budget. Knowing you are looking to gig, I would look for a used 3 series Taylor...probably a 314. The Taylor is all solid wood and they are outstanding in a worship band. If you are set on something new then I would go for the GPCPA5 over the X because the Sonitone is not that good.

Alright thanks man

Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Lyons View Post
So I've been searching for the best (advanced) Martin for under $1,000 and have finally narrowed it down to two. I've played both and can't decide which one is better. Some people call the 000X1AE the, "perfect guitar" but the GPCPA5 is on every top 10 chart I've seen. Right now the 000X1AE is going for $549.99 and the GPCPA5 is going for $699.99. I'm actually leaning toward the 000X1AE because of the lower price but I would love a professional opinion on the matter. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and am looking forward to a response.
Does nut width make a difference? The GPCPA5 is 1 3/4" and the 000X1AE is 1 11/16".

I personally prefer the 1 3/4" nut size.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM

000X1AE owner here. Love mine and gig with it two to three times a week

Sounds good, plays easy and is a workhorse. No complaints.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
000X1AE owner here. Love mine and gig with it two to three times a week

Sounds good, plays easy and is a workhorse. No complaints.

Thanks man, appreciate it. What do you gig? I play in a worship band and normally do lead electric things but am on the hunt for a nice acoustic guitar that's better than my current one and can use for an unplugged type of thing where I'll play acoustic lead, another guy plays the rythym and sings, and a drummer plays cajon.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 PM

I don’t know if you have your heart set on either the GPCPA5 or 000X1AE or if you are open to alternatives….

But have you looked into the road series? It’s a little more expensive, but they come with a case and all solid wood bodies.

I’m partial to the 000RS1 – but it may be because I’m a little more of a mahogany man

There is also the martin junior if the idea of a smaller guitar doesn’t bother you – I personally like them a lot, but I know some people feel silly when they play guitars which they deemed are kids sized
Old 12-06-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianGuy View Post
I don’t know if you have your heart set on either the GPCPA5 or 000X1AE or if you are open to alternatives….

But have you looked into the road series? It’s a little more expensive, but they come with a case and all solid wood bodies.

I’m partial to the 000RS1 – but it may be because I’m a little more of a mahogany man

There is also the martin junior if the idea of a smaller guitar doesn’t bother you – I personally like them a lot, but I know some people feel silly when they play guitars which they deemed are kids sized

I have played a few of the guitars from the road series and I'm not a huge fan. I'm not loving the mahogany and the tinny sound that it produces. I also prefer the grand performance body and don't really like OMs. I would absolutely invest in a Martin junior and don't think I would feel silly at all playing a smaller guitar. Just as I wouldn't feel silly playing maybe a travel size guitar.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:55 PM

My first guitar was a little martin, and before being exposed to the various guitar tones that’s out there, laminate vs. solid wood guitars sound totally the same to me. In fact I was once in the market for a GPCPA5 as well before deciding on the little martin.

Now I’m a bit more of a purist and crave solid wood guitars.

Having played both the GPCPA5 and Martin junior side by side two weeks ago, I personally prefer the Martin Junior. I can’t explain the tonal character of the Martin Junior [dreadnought], it’s certainly not a dreadnought, but the tone isn’t unpleasing either. It partially reminds me of a deep body 00. I will say however, the electronics on the Martin Junior is lacking, I didn’t test the GPCPA5 in that regards, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:49 AM

Thanks man I'll have to look in to the Martin Juior next time I'm at GC

Old 12-07-2015, 07:14 AM

I have the GPCPA5 and did a 4 minute review of it on my YouTube Channel.

I just go over the basic features. If you view on a PC / Laptop you'll get the bubble pop up's which are funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udGa7pc0u1U

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 12-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
I have the GPCPA5 and did a 4 minute review of it on my YouTube Channel.

I just go over the basic features. If you view on a PC / Laptop you'll get the bubble pop up's which are funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udGa7pc0u1U

Alright thanks man! Hey can you send a link to your channel?

Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I am a worship leader, and one of my lead guitar players has the 000X1AE, which he sometimes uses for "unplugged" sets. He really likes it, and it sounds great! I've never played the GPCPA5, but all the X series guitars I've played have really surprised me - pretty cool guitars at a great price; especially if you're primarily and electric player.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion