The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Your guitar specs listed below..it was produced in 85-89..

SPECIFICATIONS:
CG160S
No Model Entered...
Year(s) Sold: 1985-89
Original MSRP(US$): $365.00
Top: Solid Cedar
Back / Sides: Indian Rosewood
Neck: Nato
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
Color(s): Natural
Tuners: Gold

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up Yamaha information

moga, I just want to thank you also for all the great information on the Yamaha guitars. Until I looked at all of this, I would have never known how many beautiful guitars that Yamaha has produced. I have just acquired a FG300 which I just love. Thanks again.
John (valky guy)
Old 02-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Wow! I want an FG400!
There are still unknown answers such as
FG500F from the 74' catalog does not come up on the archive. Do FG500 it comes up production to 72' What's a FG500F?
I have one of those pricey Yamaha collector books from Japan that are on eBay. They are about the size of a readers digest and written in Japanese. Lots of high quality images. Many stunning custom guitars.
I put effort into having it translated once. Both leads fell through. I will ask a college kid to translate the book and if no one pipes up also the brochures. Does any one else have the book I am speaking of?

Oh Tony what have you done?
74' FG400W FG450 FG500 FG500F 74' FG700s FG800J OhhhhOhh. My wife is going to hear me mumbling in my sleep!

Yamaha Junkie..

FG-500F?.hmm
http://www27.tok2.com/home/hiruya/page085.html
It's black level, and laminated coral rosewood back and the side ..
This one is smaller size like your FG-1500 and FG-150..

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 AM

first post here in, well, years. I`m sure youse have all missed me...
but if you can come up with a Yamaha Dynamic catalog, I`d love to see it. So far I`ve only been able to come up with one web site dedicated to them which I`ll link up at the end of this post. There is a small but growing fanatical following of the Dynamics in Japan, and it`s understandable to me...they are exceptional little guitars, and evidently almost completely unknown outside Japan, and hardly popular here but as I say, gettin there. In the link you`ll see they came in several models and the labels went through quite a few changes over the years too. From what my wife has translated for me from my Japan Vintage series of books, the Dynamics went out of production once the FGs came on line...with perhaps some overlap, but briefly if at all it seems. Some Dynamics were made for export and a few overseas players have been in touch with me concerning some they have or are interested in, and we exchange what little info is available on them. I recently read that the Dynamics were in fact not made by Yamaha but rather made for them by Suzuki and/or Tenryu. My ealiest has a 3 digit serial number and as far as I can tell goes back to the early 1950s...I have 29 Dynamics now, some doubles of certain models and three #40s...they sound great, and are still available for very little money in Japan for the most part...I`d wager I`ve paid less than $1000.oo for all 29 of mine...if you can find an all solid wood wood guitar made 40 or 50 years ago from old growth timber with as much mojo as the Dynamics have, then let me know, I`d be interested in them. I also have a few old Sadao Yairi nylon strings dating from 1961 to 1971...some of those are fabulous guitars too but generally cost more than the Dynamics with more bidders after them but still bargains all things considered. Paid $100.oo for an all solid wood Sada...rosewood/spruce ... think `cause the case smelled musty but I put it outdoors on the balcony for several sunny days running and that solved that problem last summer...but, this is a Yamaha thread so...if you have access to a Dynamic catalog, please post a link or pics...thanks...

http://www.geocities.jp/mmasmcb/catalog.html
Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
first post here in, well, years. I`m sure youse have all missed me...
but if you can come up with a Yamaha Dynamic catalog, I`d love to see it. So far I`ve only been able to come up with one web site dedicated to them which I`ll link up at the end of this post. There is a small but growing fanatical following of the Dynamics in Japan, and it`s understandable to me...they are exceptional little guitars, and evidently almost completely unknown outside Japan, and hardly popular here but as I say, gettin there. In the link you`ll see they came in several models and the labels went through quite a few changes over the years too. From what my wife has translated for me from my Japan Vintage series of books, the Dynamics went out of production once the FGs came on line...with perhaps some overlap, but briefly if at all it seems. Some Dynamics were made for export and a few overseas players have been in touch with me concerning some they have or are interested in, and we exchange what little info is available on them. I recently read that the Dynamics were in fact not made by Yamaha but rather made for them by Suzuki and/or Tenryu. My ealiest has a 3 digit serial number and as far as I can tell goes back to the early 1950s...I have 29 Dynamics now, some doubles of certain models and three #40s...they sound great, and are still available for very little money in Japan for the most part...I`d wager I`ve paid less than $1000.oo for all 29 of mine...if you can find an all solid wood wood guitar made 40 or 50 years ago from old growth timber with as much mojo as the Dynamics have, then let me know, I`d be interested in them. I also have a few old Sadao Yairi nylon strings dating from 1961 to 1971...some of those are fabulous guitars too but generally cost more than the Dynamics with more bidders after them but still bargains all things considered. Paid $100.oo for an all solid wood Sada...rosewood/spruce ... think `cause the case smelled musty but I put it outdoors on the balcony for several sunny days running and that solved that problem last summer...but, this is a Yamaha thread so...if you have access to a Dynamic catalog, please post a link or pics...thanks...

http://www.geocities.jp/mmasmcb/catalog.html
I have only seen 3 Dynamics. All sounded great. All had shot necks. But I am still looking. The Dynamics are well represented in the Japan Yamaha Collectors book that is now $70ish on eBay. Thanks for the catalog Sneaky. I used to chat with you at the Larrivee Forum I think.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thanks for posting the brochures S Man!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM

two of the three Japan Vinatge series of acoustic books had extensive articles with many pictures of the Dynamics, but even the Japanese authors who wrote the books include e-mail addresses because info is not easy to come by and they ask readers to update what they`ve written and some readers sent photos of theirs which I think led to the second article. The necks on my Dynamics are very fat and vary slightly in feel...pre CNC is the reason I guess...none have neck issues. I couldn`t be happier with mine, since getting my first I hardly touch my steel strings any more, just love the sound of the Dynamics...but my old Sada Yairis are right up there too, I`m really having fun with the nylon strings, I don`t use picks and like the extra space between the strings and the fat necks on the Dynamics. Guess it`s obvious otherwise I`d have stopped at one. But there have been a couple of members at that Dynamic site who have posted pics of them trying different ways to straighten the necks of some of their Dynamics, but only a couple, evidently the vast majority are happy with theirs too. I wonder if guys who put steels on them have more problems than guys who don`t at that site.
I`d still like to see a Dynamics catalog...but somehow if the authors of the books haven`t been able to track one down, they probably just aren`t around but ya never know, there may be one buried under piles of junk somewhere.
Ya I`m a member of the HC too. Hadn`t posted here for some time but thought I`d come back, kinda like the terminator.

heres a link to one of the Japanese members playing some Dynamics...

http://www.geocities.jp/mmasmcb/kyoku/original.html
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM

I know this thread is over 5 years old, but did anyone save any of the catalogs? All the links are dead.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion