The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-26-2017, 06:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Tom...

I am absolutely loving this. I feel very fortunate to be able to come out here every afternoon and work on them. Life is good..

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Beautiful workmanship Joel, can sure tell you have woodworking in your background, you are taking to this guitar stuff like a fish to water!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for visiting, Nemoman. The best smell that I've ever encountered, so far, in the shop, was the smell of Cocobolo in the sidebender yesterday.. There are so many wonderful sensory stimuli associated with all of this.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow, Joel--these are really looking fantastic!

Love the woods, and it's obvious your attention to detail is way out there in the upper percentile!

Thanks for sharing these with us...

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-28-2017, 12:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hello everybody...
I thought that I'd share some pictures of the sound boxes coming together. I sprayed a wash coat of shellac on the inside before I buttoned them up...

Thanks again for following along,
Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 AM

These are looking very nice. Love the text for mirror but I think 'doing' some of my dreams might get me in trouble.

Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

YouTube
Old 10-04-2017, 07:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Ozzy...
Are you speaking socially, domestically, biblically or legally? 🤔
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
These are looking very nice. Love the text for mirror but I think 'doing' some of my dreams might get me in trouble.

Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-09-2017, 08:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well, I’ve finished the purflings and bindings on both guitars, and I’ve begun work on the necks. Here are some more pictures...

The purflings are cut from the same Maple burl that the rosettes were cut from, and I used Katalox for the bindings and arm bevels...also incorporating rust, Maple and black veneer lines.

As always...thank you guys for following along,

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Looks really clean and beautifully done Joel. I really like the way the bevel looks, really good stuff!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Tom.

One of the the processes that I've been less-than-confident with the thought of performing, has been trimming out the arm bevel. I knew that, when rendered, it needed to fluidly move out of, and back into the binding/purfling...because, if not, it would simply look chopped up, and dropped in. Once Steve demonstrated the process, I held my breath and jumped right in. In reality, that's what has happened throughout these builds...I watch Steve demonstrate a process...then ask any questions that I have...then I hold my breath and jump right in.

Other than the obvious elephant in the room (having Steve mentoring and guiding my way), the things that have really helped with the learning curve have been...my comfort level with all the tools that we use, which removes a level of awkwardness that would cloud my focus...and literally hundreds and hundreds of hours studying processes, procedures and philosophies that are readily available now days on the internet. If you'll notice, I joined this community in 2012... many years before I ever participated. Everyone here has been a part of my education, up to this point, and I'm indebted to everyone who has ever generously shared their knowledge, wisdom and insight.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks really clean and beautifully done Joel. I really like the way the bevel looks, really good stuff!!!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-13-2017, 08:48 PM

Default Following closely ...

Esthetically, your work is absolutely first rate. I wish I could be there for the first plucking, to hear how they sound. Great fun watching you proceed. March on!
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for following along jstroop...
...and for your encouragement. I hope that they both sound presentable when they’re finished. 🙉🙉🙉

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
Esthetically, your work is absolutely first rate. I wish I could be there for the first plucking, to hear how they sound. Great fun watching you proceed. March on!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 11-07-2017, 11:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello again, Folks. Life’s been so busy lately, I just realized that I haven’t posted an update in a while. I’m sitting here in the passenger seat while my wife, Rebecca, is driving. We’re 3 hours into a 7 hour drive, so I thought that I’d use the down-time and show y’all where I’m at with these builds. The closer I get to completion, the more “real” these two guit-fiddles are becoming to me, and I’m quite pleased with the evolution. If you remember, I had completed the bodies when I last posted, so I’ve been spending my time working on the fretboards and necks.
I love the way that my Taylor guitars feel, so I’ve decided to go with a 25 1/2” scale, but joining at the 13th fret instead of the 14th...of course this was all decided back before I braced my soundboard.

Because of my vocation, I have been sitting on some old-growth, Honduran Mahogany boards that are 4” thick and 8-12” wide. They came from a retiring woodworker, who had them in his shop for over 30 years. I’ve had them for 3-4 years, and there’s enough material for 50 one-piece necks. Here is the first block...

Here we’re working out the math with the fretboard and truss rod. The fretboard and headstock overlay are both Ebony, and are purfled with the same Maple burl that was used for the rosette...and then bound with Ebony.

I used the acrylic headstock template to rout the headstock, and the actual fretboard to rout the neck.

I used a safe-T-planer and sled to hog off the meat on the backside of the neck. I took it to within 1/8” of the final profile at the centerline...

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 11-07-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

I used leftover Imbuia and Indo RW from my backs for the back of the head stocks...

Copper tubing filled with Ebony dust and superglue for the side position dots...

The Paua and Pearl inlay dots on the fretboards are set into copper rings, and carry the theme found in the rosettes...

And finally...I’ve drilled the holes for the tuners...

This catches us up on the progress that’s been made through yesterday. As always, I really appreciate you folks following along with my builds. I’ll start back up next week when we return from our trip.

Joel Teel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 11-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Oh my! All I can say is, Ervin...WATCH OUT...there's a new kid in town!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Looking real good Joel! Say hey to Steve for me!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ha...I'm not worthy to sweep the shavings from the Somogyi workshop floor...
But there are some amazing builders here, on the forum, who could sit at his table and impress him.

Thank you for the kind pat-on-the-back, though 😋
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Oh my! All I can say is, Ervin...WATCH OUT...there's a new kid in town!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop