The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Default Happy Springtime and sunny deck weather

Yeah...I was just kinda bored and already read most of the latest threads.

Thinking about what chores and stuff need doing and how to avoid them or just procrastinate them away. The sun is blaring in through the windows creating light beams that penetrate the airborne haze of hanging winter dust (note to self: change the furnace filter) and beconning(?sp) me outside onto the deck, which is completely dry and snow-free.

There's a cold breeze but the 4' tall wall of snow that surrounds the deck (tailings from too many months of shovelling the snow off of it) create an excellent buffer against the wind.
Although it's still below zero outside (celsius.. and climbing), my sunny deck is like an oasis of Springtime warmth in a desert of white and for the last few weeks on-and-off, I've had the luxury of strumming outdoors without a shirt on.

Man acoustic guitars sound so sweet outside don't they?
Outdoors is my favorite acoustic venue but come mid June and lasting until mid September, deck strumming in the sun quickly turns into a sweaty mess and a badly overheated guitar.

Man I LOVE the acoustic guitar. I've been an electric axe slinger all my life and have been missing-out on the organic awesomeness of acoustic guitars...no, acoustic instruments.
I'm SO glad that the main part of yet another annual deep-freeze is pretty much behind me.

These are a few of my FAVORITE things:
Playing the acoustic guitar outdoors.
Gigging outdoors (electric or acoustically).
Playing acoustic outdoors at night.
Playing in the band outdoors at night (electric).
Being warm.
Palm trees.
Sandy beaches.
Playing acoustics outside at night around a fire with friends.
Not in any particular order.
Don't worry, I'm not applying for guitar playmate of the month or centerfold status..I'm not gonna list my turn-offs (people who use apostrophes like they're candy) or all that stuff. My measurements are..oops..said I was NOT gonna do that..sorry...

Point of this is...
I realize that a lot of you Americans don't have to deal with painfully long and cold Winters down in California, Nevada, Texas, Florida etc but for a lot of us, yeah...it can suck so when Springtime finally returns.

It's Sunday. It's sunny. There's lots of stuff needs doin. It'll still need doin later..and next Sunday so...for those of us with a South facing deck and a way to block the bone-chilling wind (it's only called a breeze when it feels nice lol)...grab your favorite guitar and maybe a coffee or hot chocolate (still a little nipply for a frosty bevy), your lighter and smokes ;-), put-on a sweater that's easy to take off cause within a few minutes of blasting, the sun will have you perfectly warm... grab your pick if you use one and make sure you have fresh batteries in your Snark..that geetbox aint gonna stay in tune for very long out there folks...and enjoy some quality time listening to those awesome outdoor acoustics.
Get a little color onto yourself and your guitar. Build a base now so you dont get a sunburn next month..or in a few months..wow..it's only March.
I hear my deck calling and the big AJ is patiently sitting by the patio door. Actually I can almost hear IT calling too. It's saying...come ON Dad...let's GO!!! You said we were going outside HOURS AGO!!

I'm gonna put on a one cup pot of coffee. I'll see y'all on the deck. I'll stand at the edge of mine silently for a few minutes when I get out there to see if I can hear any strumming or picking coming from any of you in the air.
I think sound travels really really well when the air is really really cold ;-)

Happy Springtime and Sunny deck strumming weather Sunday fellas!
WOOHOO!!!
Now git a rollin!! ROCK and a rollin of course ;-)
2019 Halcyon SJ Cutaway Lutz/Flame walnut JJB SBT
Several PRS electric guitars and good old tube amps.

Last edited by rlouie; 03-24-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: inappropriate
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM

Where do you live? Supposed to snow 6 inches tonight. It was 84 degrees last year on this date!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Heh... here in Baltimore, it is similar to HWNN's response. It was positively balmy a year ago. This year, there is 4" of snow predicted, and it is hovering around 30F.

I'm ready for some nice warm temps.

Ed
Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 PM

He must live near me. It snowed here yesterday and was 9F with ice fog this morning leaving work. I figure I have at least another month before it's porch weather here in the evening. Looking forward to it!

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM

We're supposed to get at least 4 inches of snow where I live tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaren View Post
Yeah...I was just kinda bored and already read most of the latest threads.

Thinking about what chores and stuff need doing and how to avoid them or just procrastinate them away. The sun is blaring in through the windows creating light beams that penetrate the airborne haze of hanging winter dust (note to self: change the furnace filter) and beconning(?sp) me outside onto the deck, which is completely dry and snow-free.

There's a cold breeze but the 4' tall wall of snow that surrounds the deck (tailings from too many months of shovelling the snow off of it) create an excellent buffer against the wind.
Although it's still below zero outside (celsius.. and climbing), my sunny deck is like an oasis of Springtime warmth in a desert of white and for the last few weeks on-and-off, I've had the luxury of strumming outdoors without a shirt on.

Man acoustic guitars sound so sweet outside don't they?
Outdoors is my favorite acoustic venue but come mid June and lasting until mid September, deck strumming in the sun quickly turns into a sweaty mess and a badly overheated guitar.

Man I LOVE the acoustic guitar. I've been an electric axe slinger all my life and have been missing-out on the organic awesomeness of acoustic guitars...no, acoustic instruments.
I'm SO glad that the main part of yet another annual deep-freeze is pretty much behind me.

These are a few of my FAVORITE things:
Playing the acoustic guitar outdoors.
Gigging outdoors (electric or acoustically).
Playing acoustic outdoors at night.
Playing in the band outdoors at night (electric).
Being warm.
Palm trees.
Sandy beaches.
Playing acoustics outside at night around a fire with friends.
Not in any particular order.
Don't worry, I'm not applying for guitar playmate of the month or centerfold status..I'm not gonna list my turn-offs (people who use apostrophes like they're candy) or all that stuff. My measurements are..oops..said I was NOT gonna do that..sorry...

Point of this is...
I realize that a lot of you Americans don't have to deal with painfully long and cold Winters down in California, Nevada, Texas, Florida etc but for a lot of us, yeah...it can suck so when Springtime finally returns.

It's Sunday. It's sunny. There's lots of stuff needs doin. It'll still need doin later..and next Sunday so...for those of us with a South facing deck and a way to block the bone-chilling wind (it's only called a breeze when it feels nice lol)...grab your favorite guitar and maybe a coffee or hot chocolate (still a little nipply for a frosty bevy), your lighter and smokes ;-), put-on a sweater that's easy to take off cause within a few minutes of blasting, the sun will have you perfectly warm... grab your pick if you use one and make sure you have fresh batteries in your Snark..that geetbox aint gonna stay in tune for very long out there folks...and enjoy some quality time listening to those awesome outdoor acoustics.
Get a little color onto yourself and your guitar. Build a base now so you dont get a sunburn next month..or in a few months..wow..it's only March.
I hear my deck calling and the big AJ is patiently sitting by the patio door. Actually I can almost hear IT calling too. It's saying...come ON Dad...let's GO!!! You said we were going outside HOURS AGO!!

I'm gonna put on a one cup pot of coffee. I'll see y'all on the deck. I'll stand at the edge of mine silently for a few minutes when I get out there to see if I can hear any strumming or picking coming from any of you in the air.
I think sound travels really really well when the air is really really cold ;-)

Happy Springtime and Sunny deck strumming weather Sunday fellas!
WOOHOO!!!
Now git a rollin!! ROCK and a rollin of course ;-)
I'll have what he's having!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 AM

The skiing at Bretton Woods in NH this past Saturday was awesome! Best conditions up there in a couple of years. Normally you start seeing folks in shorts and even bikinis by now, but it felt like mid-winter. As much as I enjoy bikinis, I like this even more. Two more weeks of winter please! Then I'll be ready to let it go.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 AM

Winter bah humbug bring on the spring. That's the problem with living near Chicago and elsewhere nowadays. We have had a few mild winters but they do seem to linger. Bring on the green the bright colors and as Jimmy Buffett says "the warm summer breezes "
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM

We're on the other side iof the equation down here. Shorter days becoming more obvious but still delightfully sunny & warm, 25-30 deg C (80-88 deg F) & getting down to single figures (deg C) at night so nice & fresh in the morning.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM

It is snowing here, (Louisville, KY), today. Some trees have already started to bud. I'm ready for warmer weather. I hope we get a little longer spring this year. We usually go from 30 deg. to 90 deg. within a week or 2.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 AM

Started snowing at 2pm yesterday at least 7 inches so far. I'm ready for OBX!

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83
Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Saint Louis got 12.5", new single-day snowfall record.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Hey bwstl01, You sure have some upcale birds in St. Louis. They have a flat screen TV in their nest!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM

St Louis is very high tech...........and they have an awesome MLB team!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Hey bwstl01, You sure have some upcale birds in St. Louis. They have a flat screen TV in their nest!
Of course! They're RED BIRDS! (go Cardinals)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic