The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-13-2017, 12:11 AM

Default Custom Case suggestion?

Hello,

I thought I'd post this thread in this section, hopefully it'd be more effective to get some thoughts from you since this is about custom guitars and perhaps you have fitted your guitar with non-standard cases in the event your guitar shape is outside the classic shape.

I am thinking of starting a build with a luthier and it is his own take of the Santa Cruz OM Grand. So the guitar is going to be about 90-95% in physical appearance as the SCGC OM Grand. This just comes with a good quality standard dreadnought case which is fine.

However, I would like a very nice cool looking light weight custom case with interior perfect fit of the guitar to complete the whole package. I wont be taking the guitar anywhere, it will only be home use, therefore, the ultimate flight proof protection feature is not a priority.

I have searched in this forum and I have found a few such as Karura, Calton and Mainstage. I know Ameritage houses SCGC's guitars but I find their cases extremely heavy and not as good looking.

If you have any other suggestions than the ones listed above, please feel free to share your thoughts.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
please feel free to share your thoughts.
If you are open to carbon fiber cases and can spend $1200, the Hoffee case is an excellent choice. I've owned Karura and Calton but prefer Jeff Hoffee's case because of the workmanship and design.

http://www.carbonfibercases.com

Cincy
Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

How important is the light weight aspect? Hoffee and Calton cases are definitely not light, at least not when compared to Hiscox. Ameritage cases are even heavier than Hoffee and Calton.

What feature is most important to you? If you don’t need maximum protection, then I’m confused what you’re looking for in the case?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
How important is the light weight aspect? Hoffee and Calton cases are definitely not light, at least not when compared to Hiscox. Ameritage cases are even heavier than Hoffee and Calton.

What feature is most important to you? If you don’t need maximum protection, then I’m confused what you’re looking for in the case?
Looking to find a sleek modern looking case that can offer custom interior fitting. Weight and max protection is not so important.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 AM

Main stage is very handy to carry for me. Calton more cunbersive. Karura is the strongest. Hoffee is very good also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
If you are open to carbon fiber cases and can spend $1200, the Hoffee case is an excellent choice. I've owned Karura and Calton but prefer Jeff Hoffee's case because of the workmanship and design.

http://www.carbonfibercases.com

Cincy
Old 12-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Visesnut cases are lightweight and come with movable inserts to customize the fit.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Hoffee cases are tops for sleek with a high level of protection. He’s brought the shell size down quite a bit so they aren’t as bulky. You might also consider his “air” cases
Old 12-13-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Visesnut cases are lightweight and come with movable inserts to customize the fit.
I really like the versatility of these cases too. Great hinges. Contemporary styling. Very snug fit. http://www.visesnutcase.com/
Old 12-14-2017, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Here is a local, and I mean very local, maker for you Pandaroo - http://www.prestocases.com.au/produc...c-guitar-cases

I have not seen their stuff in person but they should be worth a call.

My fave custom case is Hoffee. And I like the Visenut cases too, made in Thailand I think so sort of local. To me they seem to be built more lightly than the Hoffee but they cost less too.

If you are getting anyone to make a custom-sized case, be polite but pedantic on dimensions because, yes, they can get them wrong.

Col
Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Here is a local, and I mean very local, maker for you Pandaroo - http://www.prestocases.com.au/produc...c-guitar-cases

I have not seen their stuff in person but they should be worth a call.

My fave custom case is Hoffee. And I like the Visenut cases too, made in Thailand I think so sort of local. To me they seem to be built more lightly than the Hoffee but they cost less too.

If you are getting anyone to make a custom-sized case, be polite but pedantic on dimensions because, yes, they can get them wrong.

Col
I have one of their cases, they don’t seem respond anymore, my local luthier also gave up on them, otherwise i was happy with their cases and would have gone with them. The visesnut cases seems like a good one.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM

I've been using Hoffee case exclusively for a long time (that's if I'm ordering a guitar). To me they're well made and fit the guitar perfectly, also...just look at them...
2021 Buendia OMF Swiss Moon/BRW
2022 Isaac Jang OM
2023 Kraut OO
Old 12-19-2017, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Franklin View Post
I really like the versatility of these cases too. Great hinges. Contemporary styling. Very snug fit. http://www.visesnutcase.com/
Yes, the visesnut look special indeed, but I've been waiting 3 months for mine and am running out of patience. Should have shipped 2 months ago, no real answers about when it will actually arrive at my door.
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 12-19-2017, 05:58 AM

Here is my contribution: Bam vs Visesnut vs Hiscox Artist.

Nigel
www.nkforsterguitars.com
Old 12-19-2017, 03:53 PM

Another vote for Hoffee
Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Here's another vote for Jeff Hoffee's cases ... simply the best in the world right now IMO!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop