The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM

Hey RedKing - lots of good opinions and advice here.

I use Bose (the bigger model) for some things, and SoloAmp for others.

By itself (no mixer, no Bose T1) - the Bose COMPACT does not give you much control over your sound and tone, or reverb, or feedback control. The SoloAmp DOES - ALL of the above.

For you and your bro to MOST EASILY get good tone (you didn't mention needing vocals), then the two channels of the SoloAmp can be fully tailored for each separate guitar.

The Bose Compact has a vocal channel and an acoustic guitar channel, both very generic EQ presets, no reverb, no anti-feedback or notch control, volume controls near the floor. NOT very friendly design.

And finally - the SoloAmp is made by WHO??? Oh, FISHMAN, yeah! They have a pretty decent handle on amplifying acoustic guitars.

Best to ya! MIKE
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

A single QSC K-10 and a 4 channel Behringer mixer will give you better sound and more flexibility than either of those two options, and keep you under $1000. In my opinion, of course.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 04-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redking View Post
I'm sure it would "get us by" for playing keyboard or a DVD for the church.
The lowest note of guitar in standard tuning is approximately 82 Hz. The Fishman SoloAmp, or SA220, has a high pass filter that attenuates frequencies below 80 Hz which, for most keyboardists, makes it unsuitable to amplify a keyboard. The absence of a deeper bass response also makes it a poor compromise for reproducing full-range music recordings though some people might not be bothered by the roll off of frequencies below 80 Hz when amplifying DVDs.

Quote:
But I guess the tone master add-on on the boss gives you 6?
As I recall, the T1 ToneMatch has 4 channels. It plugs in to the 1⁄4-inch input jack typically used to plug in a guitar.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The lowest note of guitar in standard tuning is approximately 82 Hz. The Fishman SoloAmp, or SA220, has a high pass filter that attenuates frequencies below 80 Hz which, for most keyboardists, makes it unsuitable to amplify a keyboard. The absence of a deeper bass response also makes it a poor compromise for reproducing full-range music recordings though some people might not be bothered by the roll off of frequencies below 80 Hz when amplifying DVDs.

As I recall, the T1 ToneMatch has 4 channels. It plugs in to the 1⁄4-inch input jack typically used to plug in a guitar.
awww.. i do appreciate all the advice guys

but I already bought the fishman

For $700 on hello music vs $999 for the Bose compact... I couldn't resist.

Hopefully I won't miss those 2hz much. but it does bother me since i have such a deep voice and would be micing up for solo gigs when i'm not with my bro. Uh oh!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 PM

Just got back from GC and checked out the Bose Compact...did not have time to check out the Fishman as it was in the Acoustic Guitar Room and they closed at 7pm. But I didn't care for the Bose compact esp. for $1,000. Way overpriced.

I just got a Harbinger HA300 from MF (array and sub) and it is Awesome! not even "for the money". It's just a good system and blows away the Bose Compact IMO. It's only rated at 300w (100/200) but boy is it loud and clean. Not too bright or harsh, not muddy, really great sounding. I got it on sale for $349. A really nice setup esp. if you are even considering the Bose/Fishman array style. I'll try to shoot a video demo this weekend of the HA300.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...able-pa-system

Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Spose I should try that Harbinger thing and see/hear if it is ok
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Hey Randall,

Thanks for turning me on to the Element stuff. Have you heard it?
I played through a "Full" system of these, over the past holidays, with an old friend who gigs with these extensively... he plays a fairly "electrified" acoustic guitar (talking tone here), both solo and in a duo, using backing tracks...

Truth is, he was running a BUNCH of different stuff through the HK, so it's hard to tell exactly how it sounded. for my tastes, it sounded totally "un" - unreal, unnatural... that very pronounced, over-emphasized highs and lows that came to popularity in the 70's, if memory serves...

I have become so used to hearing/playing through my Bose L1 Classic, that I was dismayed to hear what came out of this rig... admittedly, it's expensive and should sound pretty darn nice; maybe it was the way my buddy had it set up, I don't know.

TO THE OP: Unless you're buying used, you are NOT talking about a Bose L1 systm, not for $999 new... no way, no how. If the Compact is the one you're looking at, then I have no expereince with them, although I've heard a number of people that liked them just fine... Pat Metheny used a few during his "Orchestrion" tour, along with the bigger Bose rigs...

I can testify to the sound of the big system from Bose... but, I don't think many people realize that the Bose L1 is truly designed for ONE player, not for an ensemble... I've have used mine for a duo with success, but it seems that every new source signal added kind of "muddies the water" a bit, regarding the sonic quality of the output. The L1 Model I Classic has been around for some years now - I see them for sale, from time to time, for around $1100 w/ a B1 (Bose subwoofer)... So long as lifting the base unit doesn't bother you (32#s!), I heartily recommend finding a good, clean used one.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Hopefully I won't miss those 2hz much. but it does bother me since i have such a deep voice and would be micing up for solo gigs when i'm not with my bro. Uh oh!
That you mention the 2 Hz difference between the lowest note of a guitar in standard tuning and the point at which lower frequencies begin to be deliberately attenuated by the SA220's circuitry suggests that I may not have been clear enough. The Fishman SA220 will reproduce frequencies below the low E (E2) of a guitar but at a progressively lower volume; at a rate that drops off faster than the L1 Compact and at a point that begins sooner.

The standard definition of a bass voice is one that goes down to C2 which is approximately 65 Hz. The SA220 will reproduce that frequency but at a much weaker volume relative to notes above 80 Hz than would the Bose L1 Compact. If you are a baritone, you would be within the range for which the SA220 is designed. Again, the issue is how loud the bass notes are reproduced relative to higher notes and not whether the bass notes are reproduced or not at all.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I've had both the Bose L1 Compact and Fishman SoloAmp. The Bose sounds better with a fuller tone but the Fishman has more on-board control of tone. If you add the Bose T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine, the Bose will give you more channels more tonal and hookup options than the Fishman SoloAmp. Simply put:

For better tone, buy the Bose L1 Compact,

To save money, buy the Fishman SoloAmp.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-06-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM

i have a wonderful taylor 8 string baritone tuned B-B. I was wondering what would be the better amp....a fishman sa220 or a marshall as100d?? I love getting my low notes to sound slighty louder than my "jangle"....if any one can help me i would be so thankful!!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Just got back from GC and checked out the Bose Compact...did not have time to check out the Fishman as it was in the Acoustic Guitar Room and they closed at 7pm. But I didn't care for the Bose compact esp. for $1,000. Way overpriced.

I just got a Harbinger HA300 from MF (array and sub) and it is Awesome! not even "for the money". It's just a good system and blows away the Bose Compact IMO. It's only rated at 300w (100/200) but boy is it loud and clean. Not too bright or harsh, not muddy, really great sounding. I got it on sale for $349. A really nice setup esp. if you are even considering the Bose/Fishman array style. I'll try to shoot a video demo this weekend of the HA300.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...able-pa-system

That does look like it would be PERFECT for my grandparents small church at HALF the cost of the fishman... definitely NOT good AT ALL for toting around San Francisco to busk, especially when you have to pack up last minute when the human statues and break dancers get confrontational.

Seems like the fishman is still the best for portability but i'm sad I paid twice the price for that portability.

Happy i paid $300 less than the list price though. lol

I was thinking if I don't like it i will just throw it up on Craigslist for $700

Last edited by Redking; 04-06-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Redking,
Lots of opinions on the AGF. I suspect you will find the SoloAmp to be an excellent purchase.

Steve
Old 04-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I've had my SA220 for over 2 years now and still love it. I'd be curious as to how it works out for you. Let us know.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That does look like it would be PERFECT for my grandparents small church at HALF the cost of the fishman... definitely NOT good AT ALL for toting around San Francisco to busk, especially when you have to pack up last minute when the human statues and break dancers get confrontational.

Seems like the fishman is still the best for portability but i'm sad I paid twice the price for that portability.

Happy i paid $300 less than the list price though. lol

I was thinking if I don't like it i will just throw it up on Craigslist for $700
I would not feel to bad about the higher price for the fishman
Looks like the Harbinger unit has no XLR inputs and only one 1/4 lin in input,

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM

My main concern at this point is hello music. anyone have any experience with them?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification