The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Is it just me or has his voice changed? IMO he sounds like Axle Rose now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMAaGWL_qI
He has botoxed all emotive ability from his face.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM

It's not jealousy. The fact is that he does look and sound pretty weird. Creepy in fact. I also thought it was an impersonator at first.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Hmmm, how can I make a boatland of cash and try to retain my integrity.

What? Just pretend that i am doing it tongue in cheek?

Oh ok, that'll do fine. So nobody will think i am an empty vessel for doing this?

Naw, everyone loves it Jonny, ask anyone in this office who i pay, they love it.
That house in malibu ain't gonna pay for itself.

I don't care personally about this commercial, but don't pretend he is admirable for doing it.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:14 AM

I saw it as a commercial not the solution to world peace.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:19 PM

Yes, in our reality it is in fact a commercial. Don't think anyone would have opposition to that.
But there artists who freely lend their music and/or face to products and those that don't.
There are reasons for this.
How would you feel if your favorite musician promoted something that he/she had no actual knowlege or passion about for money? This is perhaps a side question.
I know if it was Neil Young or Tom Waits doing this commercial, a little part of me would say "Well F*** it all then"
Old 07-05-2016, 11:20 AM
G625 mistral-k

Default Bon Jovi - surprises woman with Stage 4 Cancer

I applaud Bon Jovi for spending nearly two hours with a woman with stage four cancer. There many celebrities who would simply do a meet & greet and be gone. I am not a follower or a fan of Bon Jovi music, but I now have a healthy bit of respect for him.

"For nearly two hours, the New Jersey rock star mingled with her family. They listened to his new album, and the New Jersey rocker even gifted Cesario a signed guitar and book at the end of the visit."

You can watch the video and read the story in the link below.

http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...nt-im-still-on

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 07-05-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add content & correct grammer
Old 07-05-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk#9 View Post
Yes, in our reality it is in fact a commercial. Don't think anyone would have opposition to that.
But there artists who freely lend their music and/or face to products and those that don't.
There are reasons for this.
How would you feel if your favorite musician promoted something that he/she had no actual knowlege or passion about for money? This is perhaps a side question.
I know if it was Neil Young or Tom Waits doing this commercial, a little part of me would say "Well F*** it all then"
you raise some good questions that i also have. seeing the commercial kind of made me a little sad for bon jovi, and not respect him so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
I applaud Bon Jovi for spending nearly two hours with a woman with stage four cancer. There many celebrities who would simply do a meet & greet and be gone. I am not a follower or a fan of Bon Jovi music, but I now have a bit respect for him.

"For nearly two hours, the New Jersey rock star mingled with her family. They listened to his new album, and the New Jersey rocker even gifted Cesario a signed guitar and book at the end of the visit."
this seemed like a positive story, and made me respect him a little more.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Did B.B. King have a "passion" for Burger King whoppers?

Do we care?

I sure as heck don't.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
this seemed like a positive story, and made me respect him a little more.
Well, it was a nice gesture, and a great turnaround after that horrible commercial! Which it's supposed to be; that's what makes it memorable (and why we're giving DirecTV free advertising here!)
Old 07-06-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, how can I make a boatland of cash and try to retain my integrity.

What? Just pretend that i am doing it tongue in cheek?

Oh ok, that'll do fine. So nobody will think i am an empty vessel for doing this?
Of course, for you to be able to do any of what he's done, in the manner and to the level of success he has, people have to care who you are.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 AM

Pretty cool story here this week too:

http://www.fox13news.com/entertainment/170442483-story

Good grief. The guy is in his mid 50's now. Of course his voice and appearance have changed, and so what if he can still make a boatload of money using his fame in a silly commercial for something as insignificant as Direct TV.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
Good grief. The guy is in his mid 50's now. Of course his voice and appearance have changed, and so what if he can still make a boatload of money using his fame in a silly commercial for something as insignificant as Direct TV.
I think this whole thread and the enthusiasm with which geezers have piled on a bit weird. Has he offended some sacred cow at some point in his career or something? I remember something similar years back when Billy Joel was being butchered by a few sage AGFers. One wondered whether Joel had said or done something to offend traditionalists somewhere along the line to bring on such cattiness.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think this whole thread and the enthusiasm with which geezers have piled on a bit weird. Has he offended some sacred cow at some point in his career or something? I remember something similar years back when Billy Joel was being butchered by a few sage AGFers. One wondered whether Joel had said or done something to offend traditionalists somewhere along the line to bring on such cattiness.
He's clearly doing something wrong. He's an East Coast NY/NJ has been rock star like Springsteen. But that NY media won't let Springsteen die. Even though he hasn't produced any noteworthy music in years (maybe a decade), they keep him relevant. At least once a year there is at least one televised, much promoted Springsteen TV event. Bon Jovi needs to tap into some of that.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Did B.B. King have a "passion" for Burger King whoppers?

Do we care?

I sure as heck don't.
did bb shill for burger king? i can't say that would in any way endear me to him. so i suppose i would care to some small degree, in so much as it attests to bb's character.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
did bb shill for burger king? i can't say that would in any way endear me to him. so i suppose i would care to some small degree, in so much as it attests to bb's character.
You never saw "B.B. and B.K. let you have it your way"?

It "attests to BB's character"?? Man alive, this was one of the greatest, most innovative and authentic bluesmen ever to walk the planet. If he wanted to use some of his fame to make a few bucks off Burger King's back, that's just fine with me. What's more, this is a guy whose parents died by the time he was about 15 and left him alone to manage and work a sharecropping farm whose owners barely left him with anything to eat after backbreaking days out in the field. I think we can forgive a little good living in his autumn years, can't we?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic