The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-28-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Very nice video. You've really got it down to an efficient art.

I am also a brother of the blade and shave regularly with a straight, a single edge and a double edge. Just last night, I got a nice shave with a Heljestrand. I have a modest collection compared to yours, but I love mine, including a pre-1980 W&B Bow Razor that I restored (with some help).

I used to post over at SRP and B&B fairly often, but have tapered that off a bit (I only have so much time for forums and guitar forums get a lot of my attention lately ).

I gather SRP and B&B are shaving forums... I have not participated in any forums like that... There's not much to it.

My first razors came from antique shops and a shaving shop in Chicago. The first year that eBay officially became eBay, the first item I won on auction was a Str8 razor. In those early days, good leather strops and razors were going between 5 and 7 dollars. Life was good until about 10 years ago and the craze caught on and prices went up ten-fold. I just looked there and half-decent used razors are going for $100 and up.

Hmmmm, maybe it's time to sell a bunch of mine...

Ray
Old 06-28-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
I gather SRP and B&B are shaving forums... I have not participated in any forums like that... There's not much to it.

My first razors came from antique shops and a shaving shop in Chicago. The first year that eBay officially became eBay, the first item I won on auction was a Str8 razor. In those early days, good leather strops and razors were going between 5 and 7 dollars. Life was good until about 10 years ago and the craze caught on and prices went up ten-fold. I just looked there and half-decent used razors are going for $100 and up.

Hmmmm, maybe it's time to sell a bunch of mine...

Ray
Yes. Straight Razor Place and Badger & Blade are full of shaving geeks like AGF here is full of guitar geeks. It's quite something

And yes, prices have gone up quite a bit even since I started several years ago.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Never been to "Straight Razor Forums" but I guess probably because I never owned/used one (barber aside).

http://www.badgerandblade.com/
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php

Going there makes me feel normal; meaning I don't go crazy over it like the members there. Then again, we are like that with our guitars. Whatever!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:59 PM

"It's really amazing what you can do with an extra pair of hands..." -- James Bond, in Skyfall
Old 06-29-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
...but I find Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette Blacks, Personna Reds, and Polsilvers...
The more I think about it the more it made sense to me, so I added your list to my "Wishlist" on Amazon and once I get enough points going to order them.

I have an Amazon credit card so each order results in points that are converted to cash, and I can use them towards orders. So stuff that I need like gas and food will result in money returned in time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic