The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Anyone always vacation at the same spot(s) every year and are perfectly fine with it?

Over the past several years, my family and I (wife and three kids under the age of 12) have found ourselves vacationing at the same places at the beach and the mountains for several years now. I guess I have no sense of adventure, but I find rest in knowing what I'm going to get. I have no regrets about going anywhere different. As a matter of fact, we couldn't really do anything better given our budget, so we just keep going to the same areas to vacation. At the beach, we stay at the same hotel over and over. When we go to the mountains, we rented a small cabin for the first time this year, and it was excellent. We plan on doing that again.

I get why people enjoy going to different places ever year. Good for them! Me? I enjoy going to the same place every year because there's no guesswork involved. I love routine, and it's nice not to have to think too much when I'm vacation.

How about you? Let's hear from the boring ol' folks that don't stray from their vacation routine.

(Disclaimer: I know this will probably change over time, but for now, I don't see changing any time soon.)
Old 09-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I like going to the same place every couple of years, because I figure if I'm going to spend the time and money, I might as well spend a week in a place I like to be.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I suppose I do a combination of the two. I enjoy a few days at Virginia Beach in the off-season several times a year punctuated with longer trips to different spots including Sanibel Island, FL (hopefully it's still there) and Bar Harbor, Maine. However, my residence is a cabin in the woods in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mts, a vacation spot in and of itself....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM

Before we had kids my wife and I were the type never to do the same thing twice...but now, our kids are little and can't do too long in the car yet, so for the last few years we have done the same thing--head across the border to Wisconsin, take in the State Fair, Milwaukee's wonderful zoo, a few other things. I'm sure we'll branch out as they get older, but there's something very comforting about having a "spot." I really look forward to it now...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 PM

There's places I frequent because of family and friends, but we make it a point to visit somewhere new every few years. Life is short, and the world is big, no sense to go to the same place over and over again. We are planning to go to Japan next year, never been there and I am super excited about it.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

We head up to Grand Marais, MN every summer for anything from a very long weekend to a full week. We've been staying in the same resort area for at least 11 years consecutively, and in the general area for at least 6 years prior to that.

'We' is myself, my wife and my two sons - and for the last two years, my daughter-in-law as well. There's a great comfort in this annual routine - we've already made reservations for next year.

It echoes my childhood experience of spending one or two weeks every summer with my grandparents in the south of England. They lived 100 yards from the beach - perfect for a young family - and it was the highlight of our summer. I have many, many happy memories of those times. Quite how our grandparents coped with the arrival of 5 of us into a house occupied the other 50 weeks of the year just by the two of them, I have no idea
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

That's me.
Maybe it's because of traveling so much in my earlier life. Flying is such a hassle. And it's gotten a lot worse, in so many respects.
We just like to be home. But we do go away, usually twice a year, and always to the same spot:
Sarasota, FL in the early spring and Lake Winnepesauke, NH in the summer.
It's so nice there.
My wife does have close relatives out in CA, so that's where we would probably go if we left our "comfort zone" for something different.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-12-2017, 05:12 PM

A perfect example of "do what works for you", no right or wrong, and some folks can't afford vacations, they'd be happy to go anywhere !!

I'm from South Jersey, can't get family/friends to come here, Texas, so I spend more than half of my vacations going back home, wish that were otherwise.

The older I get the more I want to go places I haven't been. My bucket list for "stuff" is pretty much done, for places to visit it's incomplete.

My father was at Pearl Harbor, the Navy "volunteered" him to become a hard hat salvage diver bringing up machinery and dog tags. I told my brother (I'm 68, he's 66) we have to go Hawaii and go to Pearl Harbor before we die, the only vacation we will ever have taken together, a lifetime must for me.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:36 PM

Pawley's Island was always a favorite vacation destination and the children still talk about those trips. We went in that direction from our marriage in 1976 to 2003. We camped and rented other places, but Pawley's is special.

I went with my daughter's family this year to Fort Walton Beach, Florida. It would not have mattered where we were because I was with them. However, the condo, pool, and beach were some of the best for our preferences. I could see going back several years.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:42 PM

We do a combination. Every year, we camp in the same spot in the mountains. We used to vacation in Florida regularly, too, until we moved here. When the kids got old enough to remember and appreciate travel, we began adding to our destinations. We've been to cities like NY, DC, London, Paris, Barcelona, Seattle, etc. We've done cruises and road trips. We've visited the Galapagos and Alaska, all the while still camping each summer.

That said, the kids are now both teens and are sick of what they see as extensive travel. I'm kind of tired of it, too. There are still plenty of places I want to see -- Iceland, Scotland, New Zealand -- but we're going to keep it to one 'big' trip a year. Nothing til next June when we go to the Bay area.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Come on down.
We like Americans.
We speak the same lingo.
Your dollar is worth heaps.
You don't have to tip if you don't want to.
Ice cold beer.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I lost track but we've been to WDW ummmmm eleven? times , so yeah.

We're trying to branch pit and have more than one vacation per year. Last year we added the Bahamas, but we will be back to Disney again (and again).

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Come on down.
We like Americans.
We speak the same lingo.
Your dollar is worth heaps.
You don't have to tip if you don't want to.
Ice cold beer.
Been there, done that when I worked in field service for an aerospace firm. The flight is a killer.
U come up here.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 09-12-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
Been there, done that when I worked in field service for an aerospace firm. The flight is a killer.
U come up here.
Love to but our dollar is worth nothing. The tipping is a killer.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Get off my lawn kid

We used to go to Wildwood Crest every summer. This year we skipped 'cause our youngest son started the police academy. Even though my wife and I have had it up to our ears with doing the grandkids on the boardwalk thing, they are only young once so next year, guess what....

That mountain cabin the OP mentioned sounds interesting though......

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic