The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 PM

Default Any tips for recording resonators ?

Just curious if anyone out there had any tips on recording resonators ?

Same as acoustic miking ? SDC ? LDC ? Dynamic ?

Ive been experimenting and was just curious if anyone had any tips they would offer up.

Heres what I came up with on two LDC XY

Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 AM

I can hear your room, if that's OK.

I usually use a cmc641 about a foot above the diaphragm when played lap or horizontal standing strap. Have the player play it and move it around while listening on headphones to get it where you like it. That's what I did here. Ken Gutberlet played the dobro.

http://tyford.bandcamp.com/track/exi...ie-be-here-now

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I can hear your room, if that's OK.

I usually use a cmc641 about a foot above the diaphragm when played lap or horizontal standing strap. Have the player play it and move it around while listening on headphones to get it where you like it. That's what I did here. Ken Gutberlet played the dobro.

http://tyford.bandcamp.com/track/exi...ie-be-here-now

Regards,

Ty Ford
Thanks Ty

Yes the room was present I was just noodling in my music room as the rest of the house was noisy when i decided to experiment.

That clip was excellent So you used just one for that ?

sounds really good.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 AM

In a solo recording such as your example, my gut reaction would be to try a ribbon mic first, and then a dynamic. Condensers might work well for you but I'd be prone to think the others would mellow the bite of a resonator a little better (unless that is what you are aiming for). Really depends on the situation though. In Ty's recording, the Schoeps condenser works well.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."

Last edited by billgennaro; 01-26-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Right, one mic.

In that situation, I only needed one mic because it was on one instrument that was part of a much more complex mix. I didn't want to take up extra space in the mix with a second track.

Thanks! The tune was originally a folky sort of thing, but Ken, the dobro player, said, "It's the Existential Boogie, so, shouldn't it be a boogie?"

Several weeks later the song was totally transformed. I redid the track, adding drums from BFD, an acoustic guitar track and electric guitar track an electric bass track from Carey Ziegler, plus the dobro. Carey mentioned that I really needed to wear a duster and a cowboy hat if I ever played it live.

I was at a live function some months later and brought the cmc641 with me. They ran out of mics and needed one for Ken's dobro. They threw me a cable and I hooked it up. When they brought it up in the PA during the sound check it was awesome. HELLO!

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD