The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhan View Post
...Isn't this the case with ALL loopers???
Hi GP...
Of course it is.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhan View Post
"but you have to approach it as a second instrument you are playing. A small miss in your timing will show up again and again."

Isn't this the case with ALL loopers???
No, not really. Take the Jamman vs. Boomerang as an example.

The Jamman you double tap a switch to get a tempo and it'll throw out a beat. You hit record and it doesn't actually start recording until the next measure. You play along with the beat which is naturally synced to the loop. If you are a little off on your timing when you stop the loop it may cut you off but it won't leave you with a limping loop

With the boomerang you start the recording on your own (hit the switch and you are recording), you are on your own for a beat (don't use anything that isn't synced to the loop because it'll go out of phase), and when you hit the button to stop recording that's the exact point it loops around (don't tap it early/late or your loop will sound weird).

Of course there are other modes for each but that's the essence of the difference. One is hard to get wrong, the other is hard to get right. From my perspective... well, honestly the rang seems more right to my purist self. It puts you in control. It was seriously fun, especially playing around with unsynced loops and the like.... I loved it.... but my goal wasn't to be a loopist and the "overhead" of playing the rang was taking away from what I wanted to do.

If I was choosing a looper for performance use I'd have the rang, 100% no question.

For practicing, composing, etc. I... well, obviously I switched. YMMV of course but that's my take.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by him View Post
No, not really. Take the Jamman vs. Boomerang as an example.

The Jamman you double tap a switch to get a tempo and it'll throw out a beat. You hit record and it doesn't actually start recording until the next measure. You play along with the beat which is naturally synced to the loop. If you are a little off on your timing when you stop the loop it may cut you off but it won't leave you with a limping loop

With the boomerang you start the recording on your own (hit the switch and you are recording), you are on your own for a beat (don't use anything that isn't synced to the loop because it'll go out of phase), and when you hit the button to stop recording that's the exact point it loops around (don't tap it early/late or your loop will sound weird).

Of course there are other modes for each but that's the essence of the difference. One is hard to get wrong, the other is hard to get right. From my perspective... well, honestly the rang seems more right to my purist self. It puts you in control. It was seriously fun, especially playing around with unsynced loops and the like.... I loved it.... but my goal wasn't to be a loopist and the "overhead" of playing the rang was taking away from what I wanted to do.

If I was choosing a looper for performance use I'd have the rang, 100% no question.

For practicing, composing, etc. I... well, obviously I switched. YMMV of course but that's my take.
I've also owned both the Jamman and the Boomerang (and briefly the Hardwire DL8). The quote above really nails it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification